EURO-spec Rubicons owners - share your wheels/tires mods please

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
Ok, Euro-spec rubicons ARE different - plastic bumpers, low fender flares, narrower axles - something we have to admit. And it makes mostly senseless reading US-spec Rubis owners regarding light modifications, e.g. wheels/tires, because we have different things in stock. So I guess this thread could be very useful if EURO-spec owners could share their real own experience on changing wheels/tires - with exact sizes, additional changes that they had to make and if there were any issues after. I am crazy about putting 315/70R17 BFG KO2’s without any lifting/spacing as many US-owners do, but now it turns out that due to narrower axles besides high line fender flares I might need spacers and adjustments to steering stops, which for me personally sounds not very good already...
Sponsored

SNies

First Name
Stefan Nies
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2015 JK CRD X-edition, Jeep Compas, Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Ok, Euro-spec rubicons ARE different - plastic bumpers, low fender flares, narrower axles - something we have to admit. And it makes mostly senseless reading US-spec Rubis owners regarding light modifications, e.g. wheels/tires, because we have different things in stock. So I guess this thread could be very useful if EURO-spec owners could share their real own experience on changing wheels/tires - with exact sizes, additional changes that they had to make and if there were any issues after. I am crazy about putting 315/70R17 BFG KO2’s without any lifting/spacing as many US-owners do, but now it turns out that due to narrower axles besides high line fender flares I might need spacers and adjustments to steering stops, which for me personally sounds not very good already...
Any experience with this?
Looking to change tires because the stock KM2 sucks in the rain: interested to change to KO2 in bigger size on stock rims.

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet, Stefan, my delivery date is around Christmas... hard to believe, but I’m trying to gather as much info as possible in advance :CWL: but look, if I were you - I’d definitely go with KO2’s instead of KM’s. If you don’t want to deal with high fender flares installation ( and/or possibly suspension spacer kit) - go with 285/70 which is stock in US - if you don’t go crazy off-road - I don’t think it will rub. But IMO high fender flares is a must have if you go with bigger tires...

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I swapped my stock 255/75R17 M/T’s for 255/75R17 BFG A/T’s as I just wanted a grippier tyre. In hindsight I should have done my homework as 285/70R17’s would have fitted just fine even with the narrower axles. I guess I’ve got about 50,000 miles until I get another opportunity!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I’m getting new tyres this/next week, just waiting for delivery to my local Indy garage.

I wanted to stay with a mud tyre and get a bigger footprint plus a bit more height (steel bumpers and a winch have cost me about 1/2 inch in height) so I’m going with Yokohama G003s....285/75r17 I’m hoping they won’t stick out past the fenders or need a lift, we’ll see!

5FAEC63B-B37E-4EAD-A572-6845D91B8677.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m getting new tyres this/next week, just waiting for delivery to my local Indy garage.

I wanted to stay with a mud tyre and get a bigger footprint plus a bit more height (steel bumpers and a winch have cost me about 1/2 inch in height) so I’m going with Yokohama G003s....285/75r17 I’m hoping they won’t stick out past the fenders or need a lift, we’ll see!

5FAEC63B-B37E-4EAD-A572-6845D91B8677.jpeg
Thank you for keeping the thread alive, John. I'm excited to get your feedback after you install the new tires - after my virtually favorite 315/70R17 your tire size is #2 in my list... As far as i remember you planned to keep the stock rims, correct? Please post after you have them installed, especially for the rubbing issues and etc.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
So the website that was listing 285/75r17 Yokohama’s accepted my order and took payment. It turns out they didn’t have them and Yokohama tell me they’ve never imported that size to the U.K. The site is still listing them!

I ended up getting Toyo Open Country MTs 295/70r17. They don’t stick out past the fender flares and on the road there is no rubbing, I’ll have a run out to Wales to check the off road situation soon.. At this point they are quieter than the KM2s that were removed. Very happy

58F32FDC-EDEC-4433-BDC0-00AEE85046E9.jpeg
BB5B3D7A-D9E2-41F8-97B8-84128AA1B42D.jpeg
F4732B71-A45C-4D3E-B4FA-CB7EEAD22EB5.jpeg
4F52BD22-A357-4F46-833A-942E08FD2A1E.jpeg

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
They look very smart. I like them a lot!
I can't justify replacing my KM2's until they wear out so it could be a while before a change :(

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've got a full set of the original Goodrich M/T's with 1500 miles on them if anyone is interested. Can't seem to shift 'em, would be interested to hear if anyone else has a tip for offloading their factory-fit rubber once the new shoes have been fitted.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Ok, Euro-spec rubicons ARE different - plastic bumpers, low fender flares, narrower axles - ...
hello taram (Marat) your source for this information of different axles width?

I tested wheels of JK polar in 255 / 70R18, they are mounted without problem.

the JEEP is very stable and precise with these "normal" tires. Do not forget that tires are just decorative elements for the look, they are very technical products and essential for safety. There are very bad tires that are dangerous.

I removed the original BFG Mud that slipped dangerously on the wet road and made a lot of noise from Yokohama GEOLANDAR A / T G015. I often go in the snow and they are perfect and silence ... the BFG dug too fast snow and were bad directional .

First picture is with JK wheels and Second is with Yokohama (255/75R17 like original)

Jantes1.jpg
Geolandar01.jpg
Pyr.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hello taram (Marat) your source for this information of different axles width?

I tested wheels of JK polar in 255 / 70R18, they are mounted without problem.

the JEEP is very stable and precise with these "normal" tires. Do not forget that tires are just decorative elements for the look, they are very technical products and essential for safety. There are very bad tires that are dangerous.

I removed the original BFG Mud that slipped dangerously on the wet road and made a lot of noise from Yokohama GEOLANDAR A / T G015. I often go in the snow and they are perfect and silence ... the BFG dug too fast snow and were bad directional .

First picture is with JK wheels and Second is with Yokohama (255/75R17 like original)

Jantes1.jpg
Geolandar01.jpg
Pyr.jpg
Hello, Casa! Sorry for missing your post - I liked it and never replied :LOL:
Regarding the axles there were some conversations regarding this - you can check my or @Rudolph Hart posts - we discussed this some time before. Actually it’s a quite well known fact as I understand, on EMEA-Rubicons we have DANA M210/M220 front/rear axles (check your build sheet), and US-Rubis have M220HD/M210HD if I am not mistaken. That “HD” in my understanding is exactly the difference. Even it’s not that big, it worries me as I have already ordered 315/70r17 tires that fit fully fine on the US Jeeps with high line fender flares , and probably may rub with narrower axles. On the other hand there are some UK owners who run 315/70r17 with no issues on- and off-road. We’ll see :fingerscrossed:
P.S. Well, the worst case is that wider tires may rub on LCAs - then one can put some reasonable wheels spacers which I’d try to avoid, but is nothing special in general as I want to keep the stock rims. The other solution is the aftermarket wheels with different offset, but it’s a totally different story ;)

UPD: speaking of spacers I’d mention that one should get ONLY hub-centric spacers as this is crucial and dramatically influences on the weight load on the wheel bolts. You wouldn’t want to have the whole weight of your Jeep on these 20 pins. Just in case if someone is thinking of this, still all decent/good manufacturers produce hub-centric spacers except for some special requirements, that I could hardly imagine...

Last edited:
OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little update - I got some minor rubbing on the front upper control arms while driving at full lock on the inclined surfaces. Doesn't seem to be an issue, but probably will go with some spacers 1/2" or max. 1" - just to compensate our narrower axles. But still not sure about it - probably will decide on this after some off-road trips.

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, here's another short but quite important post for those who think of installing wheel spacers - please be aware that spacers 25 mm (1") thick and less WILL NOT allow you to install the rims back as the original studs stick out too far from them. You should go with at least 30 mm, probably better 35 mm to be on safe side.
Here's my setup with Cooper S/T Maxx 315/70R17 and 1.5" (38.1 mm) spacers, no lift. I run them 2.0 bar cold (approx. 30 psi) - probably will go a bit lower later as I was expecting a bit softer ride from load range D tire, but in general fully happy overall with this choice.

IMG_1242.JPG
Sponsored