No Off-Roading & Trail Maps?!?

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m not being a smartass when I say this. By that logic, we’d be more manly, tough, billy badass if we used a stick in the dirt, a yardstick, and sextant to navigate then remember it all. lol

I’ve used paper maps. I know what information a Topo. map gives and insights it can possibly relay. What it can’t do is be as expedient as having multiple maps’ information on one map, including current weather information.

That said, I think everyone, including myself should be high speed and be proficient at overlanding with a compass, map, etc.

Technology and global positioning have changed not only theater of war Nav, but civilian navigation for everyday users new to navigation.
We didn't use a yard stick or sextant but we did use a stick in the dirt, LOL, yes! we are more manly. It takes a tremendous amount of skill and knowledge to navigate and I for one believe that if you don't keep those skills alive then your too dependent on others and will just be a lost puppy. Trails are too simple, when we go off road, we go to get away and experience our landscapes and traverse them not spend our time looking at a small screen and ignoring our surroundings. NAV systems don't belong on the trail, you are the system. Why go out at all? Go watch Lite Bright on You-Tube and save yourself a ton of money, stay dry and comfy. Or Rough-it, take a crap in the woods. Heat up a can of beans on you engine block. Get wet, Cold, Stuck, perform some self recovery and suck it up. I really do apologize if I offend some folk who are not comfortable with being away from technology but if your gonna invest in an off roading life style then please embrace the basics.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
You're asking too much of car manufacturers in their current state. It takes a lot to build an operating system and apps to support it, which is why automakers are finally moving to Android-based systems - the 8.4 nav is one of the best out there and full CarPlay/Android Auto support means you'll get what you wish for when apps like Gaia can roll out CarPlay support at any time. You get a much better and more responsive interface through iOS than any car manufacturer can dream up, we're just at the early stages of developers recognizing the need for trail/offroad apps to begin supporting CarPlay/AA. Gaia is first, I'm hoping AllTrails does eventually.

I wouldn't put faith in any car manufacturer (unless Apple starts putting out their own vehicles) to nail software like you're used to on your iPhone or Android phone.

Personally, I have my phone mounted with a 67designs holder and run AllTrails offline maps + recorder on there, and run CarPlay for my music interface on the 8.4 display. Sometimes I run the standard Connect nav system's maps because they often do have the trails and forest roads mapped out. I might switch to Gaia now that they've got CarPlay.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
You're asking too much of car manufacturers in their current state. It takes a lot to build an operating system and apps to support it, which is why automakers are finally moving to Android-based systems - the 8.4 nav is one of the best out there and full CarPlay/Android Auto support means you'll get what you wish for when apps like Gaia can roll out CarPlay support at any time. You get a much better and more responsive interface through iOS than any car manufacturer can dream up, we're just at the early stages of developers recognizing the need for trail/offroad apps to begin supporting CarPlay/AA. Gaia is first, I'm hoping AllTrails does eventually.

I wouldn't put faith in any car manufacturer (unless Apple starts putting out their own vehicles) to nail software like you're used to on your iPhone or Android phone.

Personally, I have my phone mounted with a 67designs holder and run AllTrails offline maps + recorder on there, and run CarPlay for my music interface on the 8.4 display. Sometimes I run the standard Connect nav system's maps because they often do have the trails and forest roads mapped out. I might switch to Gaia now that they've got CarPlay.

Oh I can just see it if Apple starts making cars.

"Your driving it wrong"
and a couple years after buying it the car starts slowing down so you have to buy a new one.

:facepalm:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
why the heck do you want a digital mapping system on your jeep display for a trail anyway? where is your sense of adventure and exploration. Maybe you want someone to drive it for you. Maybe you don't know your left from your right. Maybe you cant identify the natural signs on the ground which way a trail runs. maybe you actually need some type of artificial intelligence to tell you how not to get lost. Whats wrong with a paper Map? cant figure out which way is North? I guess they don't make MEN like they used to. Guess I'm just too accustomed to my U.S. Army Airborne Ranger Mentality that's all. Let me call you a "WHAAAABULANCE" That's My Rant.
ok boomer

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

why the heck do you want a digital mapping system on your jeep display for a trail anyway? where is your sense of adventure and exploration. Maybe you want someone to drive it for you. Maybe you don't know your left from your right. Maybe you cant identify the natural signs on the ground which way a trail runs. maybe you actually need some type of artificial intelligence to tell you how not to get lost. Whats wrong with a paper Map? cant figure out which way is North? I guess they don't make MEN like they used to. Guess I'm just too accustomed to my U.S. Army Airborne Ranger Mentality that's all. Let me call you a "WHAAAABULANCE" That's My Rant.
DA8AF4A4-A413-4140-9BFF-0DA8908F74FB.jpeg

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We didn't use a yard stick or sextant but we did use a stick in the dirt, LOL, yes! we are more manly. It takes a tremendous amount of skill and knowledge to navigate and I for one believe that if you don't keep those skills alive then your too dependent on others and will just be a lost puppy. Trails are too simple, when we go off road, we go to get away and experience our landscapes and traverse them not spend our time looking at a small screen and ignoring our surroundings. NAV systems don't belong on the trail, you are the system. Why go out at all? Go watch Lite Bright on You-Tube and save yourself a ton of money, stay dry and comfy. Or Rough-it, take a crap in the woods. Heat up a can of beans on you engine block. Get wet, Cold, Stuck, perform some self recovery and suck it up. I really do apologize if I offend some folk who are not comfortable with being away from technology but if your gonna invest in an off roading life style then please embrace the basics.
Why use a Jeep at all, let alone a brand new one? Get on that ol pony and ride with compass in your pocket and some jerky in your saddle bag and a whiskey flask. I estimate I have over 10,000 miles on horses exploring the southwest desert and mountains. It was fun. Now I'm ready for something that smells better and has a smoother gait.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
When walking or driving off road, the track shown on any paper map is typucally inaccurate. Flood, fire and fallen trees mean the track gets changed all the time.

I consider a map as a general guide only when in the bush.

Whereas on road, I expect TomTom or Google maps to be accurate turn by turn. We know they are not and you have to use your head.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Simple point. On parts of the Mojave trail for example the wash area between Afton Cyn and Soda lake has about 108 paths through there. Stick with map only, gets you close but not perfect. Gps points don't match up to Dennis Casabier's book. And some of the landmarks he references are gone. Flash flooding moving hazards around and many wrong choices from many folks Thur the years, you better pack some common sense with you, and some man up-ness! Or we may just lose ya to the Mojave Desert!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Simple point. On parts of the Mojave trail for example the wash area between Afton Cyn and Soda lake has about 108 paths through there. Stick with map only, gets you close but not perfect. Gps points don't match up to Dennis Casabier's book. And some of the landmarks he references are gone. Flash flooding moving hazards around and many wrong choices from many folks Thur the years, you better pack some common sense with you, and some man up-ness! Or we may just lose ya to the Mojave Desert!
I probably spent 20 years of my weekends in that area. First on dirt bikes, then on horses. A friend had a cabin between Razor and Basin Roads. I've flown a number of airplanes off the runway at Razor road gas station when the Youngs owned the station. Straight south about halfway to Ludlow you'll find a giant steel telescope looking sculpture on top of a hill. It's huge and made from a lot of steel. Really a strange thing in the middle of no where. In Afton Canyon, there are crevasses that you can go up into like caves. Out on the dry lake south of Baker, you feel like you're in the middle of a snow field. Very cool places around there.

Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Being a snowflake from Silicon Valley, I cant tell you with confidence that we are much better off with 3rd Party apps then any type of app that FCA or Jeep could create, maintain and support.

They can barely track a new order through their build process as it is.

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
I am new to the Jeep world but not the off-roading world. We recently picked up a 2018 JLUR and have been loving it. I was very impressed with the new technology in the Wranglers and the UConnect 8.4 system. A nice big screen that connects to your phone, has nav, etc..... However, I'm learning just how limited this system truly is! I am finding out that getting any pics or videos on the screen is impossible. Ok, I can do without that but come on....we have the technology! But let me expand on something that is blowing me away....No Maps!!! I don't mean Google Maps or Apple Maps or Waze. I mean Trail maps, Topo maps, off roading maps! How is it that Jeep can put this much technology in a Wrangler and NOT allow ANY off-roading or Trail maps?!? It blows me away!

So, we have an 8.4" HD screen with a plethora of available connections but we have to run an additional screen (a Tablet or phone) to view and follow a map via an app?? Serious? If ANY vehicle on this planet should have this capability out of the box it would be the World Famous Jeep Wrangler! I shake my head at this.......

End of rant.....
I just use google map and the trail maps show up on there.

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Check out maps.me

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/maps-me-offline-map-nav/id510623322

My wife and I use this all the time when running on trails or when traveling, and it recently became compatible with Apple CarPlay. It has been a great help for finding trails when off-roading.
You just download the map of the area you will be in before heading out and you’ll have it on your phone to access when you’re offline or out of a service area (or don’t want to use data/incur roaming charges while in another country, etc.).

Hope this helps!

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Check out maps.me

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/maps-me-offline-map-nav/id510623322

My wife and I use this all the time when running on trails or when traveling, and it recently became compatible with Apple CarPlay. It has been a great help for finding trails when off-roading.
You just download the map of the area you will be in before heading out and you’ll have it on your phone to access when you’re offline or out of a service area (or don’t want to use data/incur roaming charges while in another country, etc.).

Hope this helps!
I've been a long time user of maps.me on android. They recently added the public trace info to their maps for trails at my suggestion. Took them a while but they did it. And, I have to say it's great! There are a thousand times more trails on maps.me than my garmin montana with topo 24k. If it wasn't for the ridiculously long battery life of the garmin, I'd pretty much leave it home when I'm out hiking or dirt biking.
Sponsored

Reactions: TMP