First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Pic 9.jpg
Pic 10.jpg
So I have LED off road lighting attached to 3 of my OEM Aux switches so I can operate independently. I have seen several post here going over the installation/wiring procedures to hook into the existing corresponding Aux wiring (in the engine bay by the battery) and using one of the side frame bolts as the grounding source.

What I am curious is can one location serve to be the grounding spot of more than one light. I originally picked two different spots when I installed the two light bars (about 6 months ago) to have 2 separate grounding locations, but when I installed 2 Rigid DSS Cubes by my A Pillar, I used one of the already used grounding sites to serve to ground this also, so that particular spot has 2 separate grounding terminals/connectors (one from a light bar and one from the 2 Rigid Cubes). I did separate with a nut just so they wouldn't physically touch (which I'm sure wasn't needed, but none the less). I am guessing it's okay to do this meaning not having to use 3 separate locations to ground the 3 lights. I just had to replace both my batteries about 3-4 weeks after installing the Rigid lights and putting the second ground at same spot as the one light bar and am hoping the timing is just pure coincidence and that I didn't do something as the cause that is draining my battery. I am going to try and attach picture to show what I am referring to.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What I am curious is can one location serve to be the grounding spot of more than one light?
Yes. That's the point of having a supplied ground location. You can even connect multiple grounds to the negative battery terminal.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Pic 9.jpg
Pic 10.jpg
So I have LED off road lighting attached to 3 of my OEM Aux switches so I can operate independently. I have seen several post here going over the installation/wiring procedures to hook into the existing corresponding Aux wiring (in the engine bay by the battery) and using one of the side frame bolts as the grounding source.

What I am curious is can one location serve to be the grounding spot of more than one light. I originally picked two different spots when I installed the two light bars (about 6 months ago) to have 2 separate grounding locations, but when I installed 2 Rigid DSS Cubes by my A Pillar, I used one of the already used grounding sites to serve to ground this also, so that particular spot has 2 separate grounding terminals/connectors (one from a light bar and one from the 2 Rigid Cubes). I did separate with a nut just so they wouldn't physically touch (which I'm sure wasn't needed, but none the less). I am guessing it's okay to do this meaning not having to use 3 separate locations to ground the 3 lights. I just had to replace both my batteries about 3-4 weeks after installing the Rigid lights and putting the second ground at same spot as the one light bar and am hoping the timing is just pure coincidence and that I didn't do something as the cause that is draining my battery. I am going to try and attach picture to show what I am referring to.
There are some great JL wiring diagrams on this forum, they also show where all the factory grounding locations are located...

Edit: I had it saved on my computer, but can't find it AND FOUND IT!!. So sorry for the vague info above, but once you find the wiring diagrams via search, they IT IS priceless for any electrical additions or troubleshooting! The grounding points are the BOLD, black EYE BOLT SHAPE and names start with "G", for ground I assume.

Cheers,
Capt'

Attachments

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There's countless solid grounding points on the JL, the back frame where the bumper mounts is a good place for a reverse light bar just as an example. Some grounding locations are better than others, always best to verify w/ an ohm meter.

mwalsh1218

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Jeep Wrangler JL Grounding of LED Off Road Lights Pic 10
Jeep Wrangler JL Grounding of LED Off Road Lights Pic 10

Do you happen to remember what size nut those are that you used? Needing buy one and just trying to avoid buying multiple different ones.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do you happen to remember what size nut those are that you used? Needing buy one and just trying to avoid buying multiple different ones.
Those pics are of the factory ground points under the hood. Two of them should already have nuts. If you need extra, they are 10mm.

LeonKosJeep

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
So it is okay to use that bottom body painted bolt and nut as a ground point? I’m gonna ground my KC lights to there if that is okay to do. Just wanted to double check, since it looks like you did that haha. My Jeep didn’t come with the damn nut for the middle ground bolt.

Pic 9.jpg
Pic 10.jpg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So it is okay to use that bottom body painted bolt and nut as a ground point?
Yes. That is what it is for.

My Jeep didn’t come with the damn nut for the middle ground bolt.
That's normal. Only 2 have bolts from the factory. As mentioned above, if you need extra it's 10mm.
Sponsored