Sponsored

2.0 or 3.6? Canceling diesel build

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’ve had 4 with the 3.6 (two JLs) and I’m happy. Tried the 2.0 and it was ok. No real complaints, but I want less things to replace. Turbos just have turbo parts and for the cost- I’ll go with the rock solid option. Side bonus- resale is higher on 3.6.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I’ve had 4 with the 3.6 (two JLs) and I’m happy. Tried the 2.0 and it was ok. No real complaints, but I want less things to replace. Turbos just have turbo parts and for the cost- I’ll go with the rock solid option. Side bonus- resale is higher on 3.6.

The JL's 3.6 is slightly quieter and smoother compared to the 2.0T. I would not hesitate to buy one today if other options were not available. I am not saying one is any better then the other reliability wise. They all have warranties. I think different engines have different driving characteristics and that's the real difference to me.

I think the turbo and extra parts to replace is urban legend. Historically modern turbos are very reliable. They are also covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 7 years/70K miles I believe.

Actually the V6 with 2 banks has potentially 50% more parts to replace compared to a inline 4. The V6 has 2 extra cylinders and all the extra parts associated with them. Extra injectors, coil packs, plugs, lifters, valves, valve springs, pistons, rods, wrist pins, rings, bearings, exhaust manifolds, exhaust components, etc. There are also twice as many catalytic converters which can cost as much as a turbo. In urban areas catalytic converters are stolen all the time. At least the 2.0's cats are not accessible to get cut out. lol.

Where did you get the data on resale values on the 3.6 and 2.0?

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There isn’t a “wrong” choice. I have the 3.6L. For 2020, I would have purchased the 2.0T non-BSG had it been on the dealer lot and in a Rubicon with the options that I wanted. Po-ta-toe, Po-tat-oe, to me. The 2.0 does get a bit better gas mileage though

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There isn’t a “wrong” choice. I have the 3.6L. For 2020, I would have purchased the 2.0T non-BSG had it been on the dealer lot and in a Rubicon with the options that I wanted. Po-ta-toe, Po-tat-oe, to me. The 2.0 does get a bit better gas mileage though
Agreed!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 3.6 JLUR. If I did it again I'd get the 2.0 turbo. More torque down low makes it easier to drive on a day to day basis. My V6 feels gutless unless you get on it (rev more than 3500rpm). V6 sounds better though.
"Gutless"? We are pleasantly surprised with the way the 3.6L jumps off the line. Are you running massive tires without a re-gear? The stock 4.10 gears with the 33" tires and the V6 and 8 speed tranny will launch off the line, I was shocked at how much torque it has. Even with 37s and 4.10 gears my wife shut someone up the other day who kept screwing with her riding her tail. They pulled up side by side to a light and my wife jumped on it leaving the other car in her mirror and they backed off.

IMO the 3.6L with the 8speed auto is the way to go. It has great performance off the line all the way up to dropping the hammer at 80mpg to pass a semi truck. I've driven both our Jeeps like a racecar at times and that engine never lets you down.

Sponsored

jigamanz

First Name
Jeegs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep JLUR, 14' Mazda 3 Sport GT, 09' Acura RDX
I agree. The only reason I went with the 3.6, despite being slightly less fuel efficient, two words, PREMIUM GAS. I'm not sure where you live, but my other car is a turbo, 2.3L 4-cyl Turbo, and man oh man, if you use the boost often it ate gas like a nasty hyena and on top of that, here in Canada, the price of premium gas 91 or 93 is 33%-50% higher in cost than 87. So in the long run, I wouldn't have saved any money at all with the 2.0T.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. The only reason I went with the 3.6, despite being slightly less fuel efficient, two words, PREMIUM GAS. I'm not sure where you live, but my other car is a turbo, 2.3L 4-cyl Turbo, and man oh man, if you use the boost often it ate gas like a nasty hyena and on top of that, here in Canada, the price of premium gas 91 or 93 is 33%-50% higher in cost than 87. So in the long run, I wouldn't have saved any money at all with the 2.0T.
Apparently Canadian Nasty Hyenas eat a lot of gas.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have a 3.6 JLUR. If I did it again I'd get the 2.0 turbo. More torque down low makes it easier to drive on a day to day basis. My V6 feels gutless unless you get on it (rev more than 3500rpm). V6 sounds better though.
My first two JKs had the 3.8 minivan engine. Now that was gutless. The first time I drove my 2012, the Pentastar made it feel like a jet plane. I mean it; it felt FAST.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
The JL's 3.6 is slightly quieter and smoother compared to the 2.0T. I would not hesitate to buy one today if other options were not available. I am not saying one is any better then the other reliability wise. They all have warranties. I think different engines have different driving characteristics and that's the real difference to me.

I think the turbo and extra parts to replace is urban legend. Historically modern turbos are very reliable.

Where did you get the data on resale values on the 3.6 and 2.0?
They are, but ultimately 60k on a turbo will at least require something to be worked on. Typically that isn’t similar on the 3.6. But again, “typical” is just a statistic.

As far as resale, that was posted here somewhere a while back. But the easiest answer is to just go to a jeep lot. The three around here are 80% turbos. I hear similar stories from other owners. So if the lot has 80% unsold new, that is your indicator of future value.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wouldn’t this logic conclude that 4-doors are slow-sellers? After all, 90% of all unsold Wranglers are 4-doors. I suspect that dealers are ordering mostly turbos, just like they do 4-doors. That said, I prefer the 3.6.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Many of these test drives are considerably inaccurate of the power the 2.0 CAN make with premium. Dealerships don’t pump premium. The best line of thought would be that if they are similar on the lot, expect at least a 20 hp gain, slightly more torque, going from 87 to 91 octane. Introduce significant altitude and the naturally aspirated will fall behind even more.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
"Gutless"? We are pleasantly surprised with the way the 3.6L jumps off the line. Are you running massive tires without a re-gear? The stock 4.10 gears with the 33" tires and the V6 and 8 speed tranny will launch off the line, I was shocked at how much torque it has. Even with 37s and 4.10 gears my wife shut someone up the other day who kept screwing with her riding her tail. They pulled up side by side to a light and my wife jumped on it leaving the other car in her mirror and they backed off.

IMO the 3.6L with the 8speed auto is the way to go. It has great performance off the line all the way up to dropping the hammer at 80mpg to pass a semi truck. I've driven both our Jeeps like a racecar at times and that engine never lets you down.
Nope. Just feels gutless to me.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I respect your preference but the power difference is negligible. It’s often said on here the 2.0 “blows away” the 3.6 when it comes to power and it’s honestly fake news.
No the 3.6 doesn't get blown away but at low RPMs, it's noticeably less gutsy.
Sponsored