Canuck714

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2014 Roush Raptor, 2020 JLU Willy's
Vehicle Showcase
What are people doing for lockable storage in your JL?
In our JK's we used the Tuffy lock box under the drivers seat, and loved how simple and safe it was.

We try not to leave anything valuable in the jeep when we are out without doors/top, but sometimes its unavoidable.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has a solution for a bolted down lock box.

thanks
Sponsored

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
Tuffy Security Deck
Diabolical Slipstream
Squadbox

I think the Diabolical slipstream is cool, but I am going to mount my power tank on top of it long ways (front to rear) so that one wouldn't work for me because of the folding nature of the top deck. Also, I don't think the DS is compatible with the Sky one touch top, so that's another down side.

The squadbox is intriguing, but it is expensive at $799 v. $416 for the Tuffy Security Deck. That said, it looks much better and is compatible with the sky one touch since it doesn't have to go underneath the hardtop portion. I may order both to see which I like best.

Sponsored

jefflilj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S color Mojito!
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If your items fit in the compartment under the lift up carpet in the cargo area, you could use that. With the tailgate closed and locked, you can’t get access to that area as it holds down the lift up carpet.

ColoJLRubi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have so many questions, I'm hoping you have some time. I just ordered a slipstream for my 2 door.

1) I see you have the GPCA tie down anchors with D-plates... do you still use those d plates for anything? I am planning on getting the GPCA tie downs as well, wondering if I should get the D-plates at the same time.

2) How do you like the cargo mat installed like in your photos? It looks like you have it under the walls as well so I'm assuming that's relatively permanent like that. Did you do some cutting to get it to fit? Does it cause your front wall to bind or anything when you lay it down?

3) Do you have any rattles or issues with the top? Any tips or tricks about keeping the rattles out?

4) Do you find the middle pins to be too tight of a fit to be usable? I saw some reviews where people are saying they can't get the middle pins in because the slipstream is too close to the plastic of the JL.

5) Do you ever strap things on top of the slipstream? Does it feel sturdy enough for something like a cooler?

6) Do you have the molle panels underneath?

7) I believe you have a hard top, but just throwing this out there.... Mine will be coming with the redesigned tie down rails that go on top. The new ones don't sit up as tall and are a shorter length so that a soft top can fold down and sit on the lid rather than the rails. Would you maybe be interested in trading tie down rails? (I actually think I saw Diabolical will send you the new ones for free if you ask them, so I don't have much to really offer you here)

1. I haven’t used the D-rings, but keep them on to use if I want to strap something to the top.

2. Yes, I have the cargo mat, I only had to trim the drip edges on each side where the edges are raised up. I think it’s still functional, not really permanent, as you can remove the top and front panel ( I do for my dog)

3. It rattles and squeaks here and there but nothing to bad. I’ve replaced the foam pieces that came with it with some foam window seal strips from Home Depot. That seemed to help. I think it’s kind of the nature of the beast, if you tighten everything down tight it’ll squeak a bit. I’ve even put heat shrink around the pins, but it’s not bad.

4. No, you have to feed the pin thru the holes, then back it out just a bit to slide the latch up. Not hard at all, takes a couple times and you’ll get the hang of it.

5. I haven’t , but it’s sturdy enough to hold a cooler.

6. No

7. No thanks

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
Tuffy Security Deck
Diabolical Slipstream
Squadbox

I think the Diabolical slipstream is cool, but I am going to mount my power tank on top of it long ways (front to rear) so that one wouldn't work for me because of the folding nature of the top deck. Also, I don't think the DS is compatible with the Sky one touch top, so that's another down side.

The squadbox is intriguing, but it is expensive at $799 v. $416 for the Tuffy Security Deck. That said, it looks much better and is compatible with the sky one touch since it doesn't have to go underneath the hardtop portion. I may order both to see which I like best.
The Diabolical Slipstream will work with the Sky One Touch Top. There are simply two extra holes that need to be drilled.

Also we may be able to provide Some advice on the folding top to convert it to a single non-folding lid that would simple hinge at the forward point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Lock’r Down center console. Spendy but built like a tank compared to the Tuffy, and it has a choice of locks including combo. It has steel sides and the fit is excellent. I would store valuables in there if needed but try not to leave anything inside overnight.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Lock'r Down center console box for little stuff and Diabolical Slipstream in the back for big stuff. Both are very well made and should hold up to most casual thieves. The Lock'r Down is really burly.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
The Tuffy Security Deck interferes with the soft top in its folded down position, making it difficult to secure the side bar/arms locking mechanism on the soft top. I live with this problem. I also use two 1” wide backpack accessory straps to wrap around my soft top in the down position to keep it from being a PITA. Is the Tuffy deck secure? Pretty much, but if someone wants in the will find a way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017P5NMWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zvruEbPEP9TC8

The Mopar rear cargo mat interferes with closing the tailgate with the the Tuffy tailgate box installed, a slight rub, but not terribly bad and I live with this one too. It’s just a snug fit and a positive push to close the tailgate.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I installed the Tuffy security console insert in the center console. It's done it's job so far.

I also installed the Diabolical Slipstream. I LOVE IT! I use my Jeep as a utility vehicle of sorts. I lug a lot of camera gear around, plus I used it haul things around. My heavy C-stands for right through the access door and I tie them down using the cargo management rails. When that access door is open I close it off from the inside by moving the applec I use for my recovery gear by just pushing it up against the C-stands.

I will place a rubber mat on top of the Slipstream and use that area for carrying a variety of things. Usually it's either the cargo stroller I use to move camera gear around, or it's those collapsible shopping crates I've grown to adore.

I have also had to break it down and carry furniture for my wife. All the top pieces just go down first and then everything on top. I'll attach a photo but please note it was taken after I had already begun to unstrap the load.

As for rattling, it can rattle at times. I've Plasti dipped them and that works. The only thing is the rubber can get stripped off after removing the pins a few times. The lid itself doesn't really rattle much. I usually only keep the two pins closest to the front wall in place.

After installing the MOPAR cargo mats (which you have to notch a tiny bit to fit under the Slipstream) I find I mostly keep the back seats folded down. It's another great cargo area.

IMG_20190819_203744_920.jpg

IMG_20190812_210449.jpg

IMG_20190812_210523.jpg

IMG_20190812_213107.jpg

IMG_20190812_213150.jpg

IMG_20190821_152710.jpg

IMG_20190821_193740_013.jpg
Sponsored