Sponsored

Jeepers who do a spare tire delete, what is your plan in the event of a flat?

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious of the look, what do you place in the back? Nothing or is there a gas tank etc. Thanks.
Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Several companies manufacture a "spare tire delete plate" basically a plate that covers the rear vents and allows for rear camera and license plate relocation..... Also known as a "Tramp Stamp"

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For those of us with beadlocks, it’s a bit easier to repair on the side of a trail, or road or wherever. If you have the proper equipment, pretty much anything is repairable (at least enough to get you off the trail and to safety).

Here are 2 videos by bleepinjeep that he describes why his tube buggy that isn’t street legal and gets trailered everywhere isn’t equipped with a spare, and also shows what he carries instead, as well as a demo vid of how to do said repairs.

Once upon a time I was an ASE certified Tech and the process he shows is basically the same as what we used to do to repair tires. When you’re doing it yourself and don’t have corporate policies to worry about, you can fix almost any tire damage. There are some punctures I wouldn’t drive more than 25 mph on (on roads) so as not to endanger others on the road. But With most punctures, gashes, repair it properly and you’ll be just fine. I’ve seen guys stitch tires with 5 inch gashes with bailing wire and use a combo of plugs, patches, and rubber cement and run that tire for a whole season (off-road only)

This is obviously more for the minority of members on this site who actually work on their own Jeep, and enjoy that process. But nevertheless, this is what you’ll find a lot of the real wheelers out there choose to do rather than carry a spare that more often than not just hangs you up on obstacles, causes body damage, reduces rearward visibility, and adds weight.

I have a dual Viair pump compressor setup with tank rather than what Matt runs, which is the power tank, but other than that, I carry pretty much the same gear he does. Contrary to what gets thrown around here pretty often, running without a spare is not quite the mall crawler indicator many here believe it is. I guess on this site, yeah, it’s a good indicator, but not so much in the more hardcore world of off-roading.

One last tip, if you use tire slime or fix a flat, be kind and tell the tire guys what they’re in for before they find out the hard way. Either way, it’s going to cost you extra. But god that stuff is the worst.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Carry a can of Fixaflat.

However, my personal preferance is to run a spare. The only time I think it looks ok with a spare with with 42x14.50 tires.

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Keep in mind that fix a flat will only work with a smallish puncture (nail, screw etc). There are a lot of things that can go through a tire that require more to seal them up. Hence the rest of the repair kit. A simple plug kit alone (along with an air source) is in itself a far better piece of kit than fix a flat...more versatile, same end result, and no mess. I’m not even sure a can of fix a flat would inflate a 35-37 inch tire enough to limp home.

Sponsored

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
For trips over 25 miles, it goes in the back (and when wheeling). On shorter trips, I will just get an Uber X to take to get my spare and bring it back, should I get a flat around town

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still wondering about the statistic of 5 flats in a lifetime?? I’ve lived a few then. I’ve had over 10 (easily closer to 15) in my 20 years of driving. In fact just had one last month. No clue what I drove over.

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure all the mall guys have compressors too, oh yeah what if you blow a bead...
We have used ether to set tire beads for years and I have witnessed it done with gasoline too. Once I saw a guy snap his bead tight and he immediately went to celebrating while the air cooled inside the tire and it popped back off, funny as heck. After witnessing that, I have the air chuck right there handy and ready to go. WARNING: Using ether or any other flammables to set a tire bead can be dangerous, proceed at your own risk.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Let me preface this by saying that I love the clean look, and weight savings, of a spare tire delete. However, as my Jeep is my daily driver the anxiety of not having a full size spare in the event of a flat 100 miles from home, or out on the trail with no cell service, is just too much to deal with.

For anyone that currently runs a delete on their JL, or any previous Jeep, what has your recovery plan been? Are you mostly just using your Jeep to ride around town where you can easily run home to grab your spare, or do you take it out on serious trails with no back up?
if I’m doing serious stuff I just throw the spare in the back?

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
2 nails, 1 screw. 1 piece of metal and an allen wrench in about 3 years! I will keep a spare!

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
When off-road, it gets thrown in the back. When I'm driving around, I have a compressor and a plug kit so can fix most things that would cause a flat. If its anything catastrophic, I'll be calling for a tow I guess and ubering.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
To those who have deleted the spare from tailgate and do not carry it elsewhere did you notice a change in ride quality due to the loss of weight?
Sponsored