Sponsored

Ordering a 2020 Rubi...why do I need the "upgraded" wheels (or don't I)?

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
OEM alloy wheels are very high quality in my experience, certainly higher quality than 90% of the cast bro wheels (looking at you, BlackRhino, Fuel, KMC...) that people buy for their jeep.

That said, I the "upgrade" from Jeep is purely aesthetics. I'll continue to rock my 22.5lb snowflake wheels :)
Higher quality, they usually are because they have to meet DOT standards. But for a little more money one can have the Mopar beadlock which I have, or the AEV Borah which I had and loved as well. The Borah is a great wheel, Hubcentricand very high quality, I just didn’t care for the offset so I sold them.
Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I wish it was a factory upgrade to their beadlock rims.

These $995 rims are the same width as the normal rubi wheels.
I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure the upgraded wheels are 7.5” versus a 7” on the stock Rubi wheels. If anyone knows for certain post up.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Higher quality, they usually are because they have to meet DOT standards. But for a little more money one can have the Mopar beadlock which I have, or the AEV Borah which I had and loved as well. The Borah is a great wheel, Hubcentricand very high quality, I just didn’t care for the offset so I sold them.
I planning to pull the trigger on Borahs. Elaborate on your offset concerns please.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure the upgraded wheels are 7.5” versus a 7” on the stock Rubi wheels. If anyone knows for certain post up.
The WGR "BLACK WHEELS WITH MACHINED LIP" and the WGU "MACHINED WHEELS WITH BLACK POCKETS" are both 17x7.5. In fact, all the JL wheels, standard or optional, are 7.5 width.

wheels 2.PNG

wheels.PNG

wheels3.PNG

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I planning to pull the trigger on Borahs. Elaborate on your offset concerns please.
For me the +25 offset tucked the wheels in way to much for my liking. Most after market wheels are a -12 which is to much poke for me as well. The main reason I went with the Mopar bead lock was because of the +12 offset, it was the perfect amount of poke for me. And at 8.5” wide with 5.75” backspacing on the Borah can cause some interference issues with certain suspensions such as Metalcloak and Teraflex to some extent. But the Borah is a beautiful wheel, fit and finish is almost perfect!! I guess it all depends on the look your going for. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tye_Dylan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sahara JKU
Thanks all for the opinions... Truth is, i don't really want the upgraded wheels, but they're on a local build that i'm looking at which is ready to go vs. ordering and waiting... Talking to the dealer about swapping them for standard, but they don't want to give me any of the $995 back... Which i can understand, just seems stupid to pay for them and not get them.

Buying as is and selling the takeoffs is definitely an option as I would likely be getting aftermarket wheels...i just figure with the standard wheels i would wait it out a bit and potentially even keep them with 35's!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Talking to the dealer about swapping them for standard, but they don't want to give me any of the $995 back... Which i can understand, just seems stupid to pay for them and not get them.
There is some new info here. How is it that you're paying for them but not getting them (The $995 wheels)?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
There is some new info here. How is it that you're paying for them but not getting them (The $995 wheels)?
It sounds like he is getting them, he was just interested in swapping to the normal wheel.

@Tye_Dylan one thing some dealers do is if you immediately get new wheels and tires, they will buy your takeoffs of your new Wrangler from you for one of their Jeeps on the used lot. But I don't know how common it is, and I don't think you would get near that $995 for them. May be better selling them privately if you upgrade wheels and tires.

OP
OP

Tye_Dylan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sahara JKU
they're on the build which is already on the lot. I'm hoping they will swap them for me, but i would then like a discount of some sort. Originally the manager said he would swap them, but could not give me any money off for them, since they "purchased the truck that way"

OP
OP

Tye_Dylan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sahara JKU
So, dealer is willing to put on KO2 AT's and remove the Falken Wildfire MTs. If my plan is to sell these rims/tires either way....what do folks think is more desirable? an MT or an AT tire?

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Within the same brand, the MT’s I’ve seen have always been higher priced.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
So, dealer is willing to put on KO2 AT's and remove the Falken Wildfire MTs. If my plan is to sell these rims/tires either way....what do folks think is more desirable? an MT or an AT tire?
I think around these parts, you'll find more takers for the K02s.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
they're on the build which is already on the lot. I'm hoping they will swap them for me, but i would then like a discount of some sort. Originally the manager said he would swap them, but could not give me any money off for them, since they "purchased the truck that way"
Take-off standard Rubicon wheels sell for the same as take-off upgraded wheels. I am sure you will have no problem finding someone with base Rubicon wheels to swap with you. Maybe you can find someone who really wants the upgraded wheels and is willing to pay you a small premium plus their base take-off Rubicon wheels?

Is the one on the lot being discounted more then one you could order? Or are you are basically going to be paying a $995 (cost of upgraded wheels) for the privilege of taking delivery off the lot. Just have to decide if it's worth $995 to get your Rubicon a little sooner if priced the same as ordering one.

OP
OP

Tye_Dylan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sahara JKU
Take-off standard Rubicon wheels sell for the same as take-off upgraded wheels. I am sure you will have no problem finding someone with base Rubicon wheels to swap with you. Maybe you can find someone who really wants the upgraded wheels and is willing to pay you a small premium plus their base take-off Rubicon wheels?

Is the one on the lot being discounted more then one you could order? Or are you are basically going to be paying a $995 (cost of upgraded wheels) for the privilege of taking delivery off the lot. Just have to decide if it's worth $995 to get your Rubicon a little sooner if priced the same as ordering one.

They are discounting it more slightly (4% vs 3%), so that makes it a wash with the $995... However, they're also giving me a solid trade in value and then i don't have to worry about my trade value going down waiting for my order to come in...

Tough call...ugh.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
They are discounting it more slightly (4% vs 3%), so that makes it a wash with the $995... However, they're also giving me a solid trade in value and then i don't have to worry about my trade value going down waiting for my order to come in...

Tough call...ugh.
Honestly, you can probably do better then the 4%-under invoice. Criswell is not in NY, they are in MD and usually does 6%-7% under invoice on orders.

Trades always complicate things. Some dealers will lock in a trade-in value provided you do not exceed set mileage or damage the trade. Have you shopped your trade around? Take it to CarMax and get a estimate from Carvana. Remember to take into consideration any sales tax credits if you have them in NY.
Sponsored

Last edited: