DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Tekton seems to be the new tool of You Tubers.. Trail Recon, ponytail and a few others rocking all new sets on their videos.
They are on a promotion benge. Those guys are getting them either free or they get a kickback when people buy them from the link. Not saying they aren't great tools. I'm going to buy some myself. Just saying the trend is obvious that this company is aiming their marketing strategy in that direction. Of course, when I do buy them, if those guys have a link, I'll use it and help them out. I like their channels!

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I'm going to buy some myself. Of course, when I do buy them, if those guys have a link, I'll use it and help them out. I like their channels!
Agreed on helping the channel’s I like. But I will stay clear of “breakable / commonly replaced” tools, until they have local stores that are carrying them for warranty replacement.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a few of their tools, however for the torque wrench better off getting a split beam vs the click. The click ones just don't seem to last for me...

For trail tools stick with cheapest you can find and leave the good stuff at home, although I usually take a few M12/M18 power tools with me when on longer outings.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have a few of their tools, however for the torque wrench better off getting a split beam vs the click. The click ones just don't seem to last for me...

For trail tools stick with cheapest you can find and leave the good stuff at home, although I usually take a few M12/M18 power tools with me when on longer outings.
I tend to loose tools on the trail so this is good advice. I also like the molded case kits as easy to see if anything is missing to search for before moving on.

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I tend to loose tools on the trail so this is good advice. I also like the molded case kits as easy to see if anything is missing to search for before moving on.
Back in the day I started with the molded tool sets, however over the years and now traveling with the family cargo space is precious. I have a canvas tool roll where I keep the hand tools, and only the sockets/wrench sizes I need. To figure out what you need use the same tools when working on the jeep. No need to carry the full tool chest, of course it all comes down to your mechanical and mcgiver ability when out on the trail wrenching.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Agreed on helping the channel’s I like. But I will stay clear of “breakable / commonly replaced” tools, until they have local stores that are carrying them for warranty replacement.
They have the easiest warranty process. Literally just send them a picture of the broken tool on their website, and you'll get a replacement in the mail. We've only had to use it once, when one of my mechanics used the big Milwaukee 1" impact gun with Tekton's 3/4 drive 1 inch chrome socket in a "Let's see what will happen" situation.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
They have the easiest warranty process. Literally just send them a picture of the broken tool on their website, and you'll get a replacement in the mail. We've only had to use it once, when one of my mechanics used the big Milwaukee 1" impact gun with Tekton's 3/4 drive 1 inch chrome socket in a "Let's see what will happen" situation.
Good to know. Thank you.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
In reality though, I'm super impressed with Tekton's quality all around. I'd probably put them on par with the old Craftsman brand and quality (if not better) but at a much more reasonable cost.

Here's a list of all the Tekton tools I have:
25282 - long arm ball end hex key wrench set 26 piece (metric and standard)
2841 - everybit and electronic bit set
3576 - internal/external snap ring pliers 4 piece
30409 - jacketed fiberglass ball peen set 4 piece
4883 - 1/2 drive deep metric impact sockets (15 piece)
4880 - 1/2 drive deep standard impact sockets (14 piece)
4817 - 1/2 drive shallow metric impact sockets (14 piece)
4816 - 1/2 drive shallow standard impact sockets (14 piece)
4971 - 1/2 drive impact extensions
4964 - impact U joints
4957 - impact adapters
2585 - 1/2 drive jumbo crowfoot wrench set (14 piece)
42103 - pry bar set 3 piece
90191 - combination wrench set metric and standard (30 piece)

Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
In reality though, I'm super impressed with Tekton's quality all around. I'd probably put them on par with the old Craftsman brand and quality (if not better) but at a much more reasonable cost.

90191 - combination wrench set metric and standard (30 piece)
I just recently picked up that set and couldn't be happier. Beautiful wrenches and nice rubber-like holders. Might be the best wrench deal there is at slightly less than $100. You can get the same set in roll-up pouches. I've settled on Tekton as my go-to brand (for the most part.)

For torque wrenches, I recently picked up the Icon 3/8 and 1/2 wrenches at HF and I'm very pleased with them as well. A little pricey but very nice. I'm hoping the Icon stuff comes down in price.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I bought Craftsman tools exclusively for years and years. I just made the switch to Tekton and probably won't look back. Craftsman/Sears is a ghost of its former self.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I just recently picked up that set and couldn't be happier. Beautiful wrenches and nice rubber-like holders. Might be the best wrench deal there is at slightly less than $100. You can get the same set in roll-up pouches. I've settled on Tekton as my go-to brand (for the most part.)

For torque wrenches, I recently picked up the Icon 3/8 and 1/2 wrenches at HF and I'm very pleased with them as well. A little pricey but very nice. I'm hoping the Icon stuff comes down in price.
I'm glad they included the organizers. It's annoying trying to find an organizer that fits my existing wrenches and actually holds them in place.

Hands down the best deal. Even Harbor Freight can't compete. They don't have a set that includes all sizes from 8 to 22mm. They usually skip one or two. It pisses me off when I bought a wrench set to only get home and realize I was missing 7/8 or the 18mm.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a tool junkie, some may say a snob. I have a mix of tools - my dad’s old Craftsman from the 60s, MAC and Snap-On, and more recently Proxxon (a German tool designer but whose tools are hard to find in the US). Love the Proxxon stuff as it is compact and durable and has a mix of the most used sockets and bits, and I use the Proxxon compact kit as my travel tool kit for my adventure bikes.

I bought the large 1/2” 84 piece Tekton set for the Jeep, as well as a 30 piece torx bit set and a 150lb torque wrench. Using the 10% rebate, I also added some swivel ratchets mostly as I’ve been curious about them.

Pros: they seem decent quality for the price $325 for everything, and super complete sockets, both regular and deep, to 32mm. In hindsight I might have chosen the 3/8ths kit as the 1/2 inch stuff is a tad bulky but I already have so much 3/8 tools. I got the 6 pt set rather than the 12 pt. The tool case is sturdy and well organized, holding pieces securely. The torque wrench looks great, although I haven’t tested accuracy, but fine for torquing tire lugs. I love that the torx goes up to T60. Shipping was free and fast.

Cons: the socket set is massive both in size and weight (40lbs). In a 2 door on a long trip with other gear, I’d be cautious about packing it and maybe reduce down to a tool roll to save space and weight, or pull out the SAE sockets to save weight. The torx set is odd as I have never used etorx and rarely use the star torx bits, but nice to have.

I could’ve cheaped out and bought some Harbor Freight setup for the trail, but my experience is mixed with their stuff, and I prefer to only cry once up front when buying, not twice if they fail. I will likely stick with my Proxxon gear for home wrenching but try the Tekton on the trail and for heavy duty wrenching on my Cummins RAM.

overall happy.
Sponsored

Last edited: