Sponsored

Rubicon Unlimited 2020: The air recirculation button light goes off after a while

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
I wonder if it is by design or it is a malfunction.

When I press my Air Recirculation button (the one with the arrow making a turn back) the light on it comes on (also the A/C turns on but I turn it off) and the air is recirculated. After a few minutes (2 or 3) the light on the button goes off and by the feel of it the air is not recurculated but is drawn from outside. If I press it, the cycle repeats itself.
Does anyone have the same problem? Is it normal? Or is it a malfunction?
Sponsored

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
That’s normal. It’s designed that way to prevent the cabin from filling with CO.
Thanks, good to know.
Somehow in other cars, earlier models, that was not a concern? My Grand Cherokee has a knob for it. Notwithstanding the fact the outside air while sitting in traffic somewhere in NY is a questionable alternative to recirculating whatever I might exhale :)

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
I have just spoken to a tech manager in my dealership, and he said that yes, the mode could go by itself from Recirc to Fresh air, but it would do that if my inside temp setting was close to the outside temp.
In my case however my inside setting is 80F and the outside temps in NJ are either below or slightly above freezing point.
He suggested I come for them to take a look.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have just spoken to a tech manager in my dealership, and he said that yes, the mode could go by itself from Recirc to Fresh air, but it would do that if my inside temp setting was close to the outside temp.
In my case however my inside setting is 80F and the outside temps in NJ are either below or slightly above freezing point.
He suggested I come for them to take a look.
Hi morzh, we are happy to see that you have consulted your dealer about your concern. Please know that our team is always happy to assist you here via private message. Feel free to keep us updated on the diagnosis of your Jeep!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Hi morzh, we are happy to see that you have consulted your dealer about your concern. Please know that our team is always happy to assist you here via private message. Feel free to keep us updated on the diagnosis of your Jeep!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Kathryn,

Well. It was not much help. They do not know why it happens and say I have to come in for them to look at it.
I would expect they should know the answer right off the bat: if it is normal, it is, if not - then no.
Going there is a trip, so I would not go unless sure there is a problem.

So this is what I have found out so far: I did an experiment.
I remembered that I started seeing this after I did something. Then I realized that I had my Air direction mode as "Window+Passenger".
So I switch it to "Passenger Only (the arrows pointing to chest and legs)".
After that the phenomenon stopped. I do not know if it is simply takes more time to switch or it has stopped altogether when in this mode.
Today on my way back I will see if it will switch off in 30 minutes it takes me to get home.

Mike.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Well......RTFM.
(The manual is not written very user-friendly but....)

>>>Recirculation can be used in all modes except for Defrost. Recirculation may be unavailable if conditions exist that could create fogging on the inside of the indshield.

Windshield / body mixed mode is still Defrost, I guess.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen it happen too and it is random but I think it does occur more depending on outside temp vs. inside temp setting. I don't recall what mode but I'm pretty sure it was chest or feet and chest. It's not for CO2 like the other post said. Jeep has another wonderful feature you will soon realize where it dumps unfiltered outside air right into the cabin in the name of "CO2 correction". Just poke around on the forum for that monster of a thread and before you ask, no Jeep isn't doing anything about but there are work arounds.

What you are experiencing is annoying but it is what it is, it happens so random and in-frequently on both our Jeeps that we just deal with it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s normal. It’s designed that way to prevent the cabin from filling with CO.
Nope it isn't. If that were the case it would happen all the time and this is def a random feature. What you are thinking of is the outside air dump the Jeep does where it allows completely unfiltered air to bypass everything and dump into the passenger floor well.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Nope it isn't. If that were the case it would happen all the time and this is def a random feature. What you are thinking of is the outside air dump the Jeep does where it allows completely unfiltered air to bypass everything and dump into the passenger floor well.
It is regular. It happens in exactly 4 minutes on defrost after turning the recirc on.
I was also told by the tech in the dealership it might happen when inside and outside temps are close.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It is regular. It happens in exactly 4 minutes on defrost after turning the recirc on.
I was also told by the tech in the dealership it might happen when inside and outside temps are close.
OK, I must have misread the post. I didn't know you had the defrost on, my bad. What I am experiencing is a total random (as in go months without the problem) issue. The one thing I did notice was the temps were close in setting and I figured that was playing into it.
The other thing I describe about the external fresh air dump is a totally different well known issue I'm sure you'll get to experience soon.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
The other thing I describe about the external fresh air dump is a totally different well known issue I'm sure you'll get to experience soon.
Yes, and there is something in the manual about it too. I agree it is unusual way of doing things.
But then, as I said before, love is blind: all of us who have dealt with Chrysler products (I am a Jeep (Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and now Wrangler) owner since 1996) know what we have is not very reliable vehicle prone to repairs.

It's just the love is blind. :LOL:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and there is something in the manual about it too. I agree it is unusual way of doing things.
But then, as I said before, love is blind: all of us who have dealt with Chrysler products (I am a Jeep (Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and now Wrangler) owner since 1996) know what we have is not very reliable vehicle prone to repairs.

It's just the love is blind. :LOL:
Oh yeah, love is totally blind on these things... lol.
That fresh air dump feature is horrific, I mean even the service manager and I were cracking up when some suit from HQ called him two years ago when I was having it addressed and told him it's to keep CO2 levels low.
I'm like Pavlov's Dog now... when that fresh air dump occurs I can sense it almost immediately and I reach over and hit the recirc button twice and it kills the procedure.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kathryn,

Well. It was not much help. They do not know why it happens and say I have to come in for them to look at it.
I would expect they should know the answer right off the bat: if it is normal, it is, if not - then no.
Going there is a trip, so I would not go unless sure there is a problem.

So this is what I have found out so far: I did an experiment.
I remembered that I started seeing this after I did something. Then I realized that I had my Air direction mode as "Window+Passenger".
So I switch it to "Passenger Only (the arrows pointing to chest and legs)".
After that the phenomenon stopped. I do not know if it is simply takes more time to switch or it has stopped altogether when in this mode.
Today on my way back I will see if it will switch off in 30 minutes it takes me to get home.

Mike.
Hi Mike, I'm sorry to hear that they weren't able to help you remotely. Unfortunately our team is not mechanically trained, and therefore we rely on the diagnosis of our dealers in order to assist you. If you do end up having service done on your Jeep, feel free to reach out to us again for support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation