NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks to be a complete set. I'm NOT familiar with Clayton off-road and TBH, not sure that I'd heard about them before you posted. Definitely do your research, but in that price range, there are two products that would compete directly with it RK 3.5 X-Factor (http://rockkrawler.com/jlu-3-5-x-factor/) & MC 3.5 Game Changer (https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-3-5-game-changer-suspension-system.html).

This is a pretty significant initial outlay that does not include shocks. Assuming you went with something like Fox Shocks, you're looking at another $650 plus install labor. Based on your OP, if you're wanting to do this in stages, I'd consider a foundational set that you can add adjustable control arms at a later date. But if you're gonna jump into the deep end, definitely do your research on this set. And definitely find out from them what shocks do they recommend with their set. Looking forward to further updates.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That looks to be a complete set. I'm NOT familiar with Clayton off-road and TBH, not sure that I'd heard about them before you posted. Definitely do your research, but in that price range, there are two products that would compete directly with it RK 3.5 X-Factor (http://rockkrawler.com/jlu-3-5-x-factor/) & MC 3.5 Game Changer (https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-3-5-game-changer-suspension-system.html).

This is a pretty significant initial outlay that does not include shocks. Assuming you went with something like Fox Shocks, you're looking at another $650 plus install labor. Based on your OP, if you're wanting to do this in stages, I'd consider a foundational set that you can add adjustable control arms at a later date. But if you're gonna jump into the deep end, definitely do your research on this set. And definitely find out from them what shocks do they recommend with their set. Looking forward to further updates.
I talked with the guys from Clayton a few days ago and they've been in business since 2001 building suspension kits since then. They're not as big of a company as say TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, or some of the other companies but there's a ton of great reviews from guys who use and abuse the Clayton kits. The nice thing about this kit is that it offers 8 adjustable control arms with johnny joints in addition to front and rear track bars. Their kits work well with Fox shocks so that's not a problem.

This kit even saves a few bucks and has been getting great reviews from the overland community. The guys at Clayton said their Giiro joints work just as good as johnny joints, if not better. From the reviews online, Clayton seems to give you a lot of bang for the buck and I don't mean in a budget conscious way, but a lot of value per dollar spent.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/...lifts/3009035-clayton-3-5in-overland-lift-kit

With my past experience on the trails, I don't feel the need to star with a basic kit. I've been wheeling off and on for 17 years and I'm by no means an expert but also not new to trails. Being that I'm older than I was when I started wheeling, I have more interest, money, and attention to details for this hobby. As I mention in a previous post, I'm a researcher by nature and I'm still looking into the Rock Krawler X-Factor kits and the Metal Cloak kits. I know the absolute least about Metal Cloak.

I still have decided if I'm going to host or find somewhere to host a build/install party or just have an offroad shop do it. My biggest dilemma with doing it myself if having the parts shipped to the house. Both my wife and I work long hours and the porch pirates are real in my area.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of tempting options out there.

V9vTShf.png

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to make sure the skids from different manufacturers will work together as some of the parts overlap and use the same connection points. Might be a good idea to get everything from the same manufacturer.

Jk G & G just did a video of a Clayton lift install.

I recently installed a RK 3.5" X Factor. I really wanted the adjustability and flex that system offers but I will say the torquing the lock nuts can be chore. I guess if you have a lift it's no too bad to do on the the vehicle, but I did it on a bench and my bench and vise were barely up to the task of holding the arm without tipping the bench over. Even so it wasn't worth another $500 to get a set of arms from a different manuf with pinch bolts. That said there is a ridiculous amount of flex with this kit and their RRD shocks.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was unsuccessful in finding skid plates from the same company that covered those areas, so I had to use 3 different companies. I did find a few skids plates that were nearly the entire undercarriage but those are a little out of my price range right now.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Lots of tempting options out there.

V9vTShf.png
So a $2100 lift kit that you are going to neuter with the wrong shocks, $500 for 2 unnecessary skid plates, and all terrain tires? Back to the drawing board :D

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So a $2100 lift kit that you are going to neuter with the wrong shocks, $500 for 2 unnecessary skid plates, and all terrain tires? Back to the drawing board :D
Neuter with the wrong shocks... how so? There's a lot of people running suspension kits with Fox shocks that are perfectly happy with them.

How are skids unnecessary? I've asked 10 people about skids and gotten 10 different answers. These the cover the most common areas mentioned in those answers I've gotten.

Yes, all terrain tires. This isn't just a weekend rig, it's a daily driver as well. What's your deal with AT's?

Why not provide valuable input rather than come in and criticize?

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Neuter with the wrong shocks... how so? There's a lot of people running suspension kits with Fox shocks that are perfectly happy with them.

How are skids unnecessary? I've asked 10 people about skids and gotten 10 different answers. These the cover the most common areas mentioned in those answers I've gotten.

Yes, all terrain tires. This isn't just a weekend rig, it's a daily driver as well. What's your deal with AT's?

Why not provide valuable input rather than come in and criticize?
Sorry if my post threw off bad vibes I wasn't trying to be a dick.

Anyway those shocks are significantly shorter than the ones RK sells with their stage 1 kit. So you're spending a bunch of money on a flexy suspension system and then buying shocks that will limit it. If you want fox shocks you should get the ones advertised for a 4.5-6" lift.

The RE oil pan skid is unnecessary because the evo skid covers the oil pan. The gas tank skid is unnecessary because the stock one is more than sufficient.

No issue with the tires, I just got the wrong initial impression about what you wanted to do with the jeep.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Anyway those shocks are significantly shorter than the ones RK sells with their stage 1 kit. So you're spending a bunch of money on a flexy suspension system and then buying shocks that will limit it. If you want fox shocks you should get the ones advertised for a 4.5-6" lift.

The RE oil pan skid is unnecessary because the evo skid covers the oil pan. The gas tank skid is unnecessary because the stock one is more than sufficient.

No issue with the tires, I just got the wrong initial impression about what you wanted to do with the jeep.
I can see where shorter shocks would cause issues and I wasn't sure the technical specifics on running a shock that's rated for more lift than what's installed. Learning something new every day. The skid plate is an oversight on my part and removing that extra cost will probably cover the difference in cost on the larger shocks.

I want to try some KM3's out but I'll wait till it's up on 37's for that.

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

Shocks for a 4.5-6 inch lift will be longer and increase droop but may decrease the amount of up travel. So depending on you full setup that may affect what would be more appealing to you. Check out the spread sheet these guys have put together its pretty cool to have a lot of shock info in one place. (Spreadsheet) https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/shock-talk-shock-info-spreadsheet.45630/

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Shocks for a 4.5-6 inch lift will be longer and increase droop but may decrease the amount of up travel. So depending on you full setup that may affect what would be more appealing to you. Check out the spread sheet these guys have put together its pretty cool to have a lot of shock info in one place. (Spreadsheet) https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/shock-talk-shock-info-spreadsheet.45630/
Absolutely true. You will need at least 3" in the rear and 2" in the front for the Fox 4.5-6 shocks.

My main point was that I do not see a lot of value in that RK lift if you aren't going to go with 12" or 14" shocks. Stock springs and control arms can accommodate 10" shocks... so why spend $2100? It's a great kit and worth the money, but only if you are actually encountering the problems that are solved by that lift kit.

Minimizing bump and maximizing up-travel should appeal to everyone, and that's the proper way to build a suspension system. You get your tires, wheels, and fender mods done FIRST, then measure how much extra bump you need. Once you get your jeep bumped out, then you know what size shocks to get, and how much to raise your ride height to compensate for the extra bump. Does anyone actually do it this way? Absolutely not. "How much lift do I need for X tires" is a completely inane question but that is how this conversation is usually framed, unfortunately.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the RK 2.5" X factor in my 2dr sport. I had originally bought Fox 2.0 for the 2.5" lift but when I got everything installed the lift netted more like 3.5" so the shocks were too short (only had 2" of droop). So I went all in and got the RK RRD shocks for a 3.5" lift. I pulled the springs and articulated the suspension to tune the bump stops. Ended up with 3 pucks in front and one puck+the RK bump stop bracket in the rear. This allows full shock travel without bottoming the shock. I trimmed the fenders to fit the 35s I have to install.

u0VG2DpHTUh5dFpLPrYq3e2CFdNoUzquxXfN3qC-PJuwYShEzgUQiVLh5bijcdduapJYiST5Uyv6-Ynbbg=w1139-h854-no.jpg

tXlFPpgo5epKRvzzbAeKbHLB_1sjGhxRpFSlJHun83xZ7BQc5NxDUgBI_MtBSRH4xXQIRJpYM6j3Y50tYjg=w960-h720-no.jpg

ds8_x3R4DwvTltoE4LUfruKMWioH4aQ-1Ygn_yXQxg78X-BQQxgb3ml7aKtSrQAlVcxH4QKf2CcbvJMDog=w1139-h854-no.jpg

5UsVTXDns0vDIPDvcg-VdreoH4pvgAvkSeZVxqPeTKTeCkDgQTn56Qc6skQs3hSnbCEssCzys9Y3nGuumA=w1139-h854-no.jpg
Sponsored