New to this

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Im pretty new to winches but would like to get one as insurance for a few upcoming trips. My questions is with the weight and if i have to upgrade the suspension. I plan to upgrade the front bumper with something that is winch compatible and light weight. I know "light wight" is pretty vague but are there options of light weight bumper and winch combinations that would allow you to keep your factory sahara suspension to keep the cost low?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I realize this might not be a popular opinion but has worked for me so far.

If you aren’t doing serious crawling you probably never have to use it.

Better tires and better articulations in my opinion is a much better and useful insurance.

Also if you don’t travel solo.

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I realize this might not be a popular opinion but has worked for me so far.

If you aren’t doing serious crawling you probably never have to use it.

Better tires and better articulations in my opinion is a much better and useful insurance.

Also if you don’t travel solo.

Thats the plan, we will be doing a two week long trip solo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
A winch isn’t so heavy that you need any suspension upgrade at all. It weighs under 100 lbs. Almost any adult passenger weighs more than that.
Makes sense, i think a stubby bumper and a winch wont be over 150 extra pounds from the stock plastic bumper. I just didnt wana stress or sag the suspension. Thanks!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
We will be heading out from the midwest through Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
Where you’re going there are likely plenty of traction with a good set of all terrain or mud terrain tires and some wheel articulation, Where I believe is money much better spent, considering you have a stock Sahara after all. There are plenty of things of higher priority to upgrade first (in my opinion).

Good driving skills and taking better lines are much more important factors than relying on a winch. In my experience if you aren’t “actively” looking to get stuck, you likely won’t ever get completely stuck.

If you go out looking for mud pits and slick rocks and climb boulders, yes you will eventually get stuck.

In my books, always:

Traction > Winch
Sponsored