Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
So I had the same "knock" coming from the rear differential (dana 44 LSD) at 16,000 miles. took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the whole differential assembly.
Yep have a buddy who also had this problem and his dealer replaced as well.
Sponsored

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Last night I disassembled the left and right wheels essentially down to the axle bearing at the wheel.

It's really tough to judge without knowing what the actual tolerances are, but they both seemed OK. The side that I thought was causing the issue seemed sliiiightly more sloppy but again really hard to tell.

It's somewhat tempting to buy a new assembly to slide in because they are around 200 bucks, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do at the moment.

It's expensive but a part of me wants to order a Rubicon rear end to get rid of this forever and get the e locker.
I'm considering the same. Mine has had the rear carrier assembly replaced twice for this issue. Who's to say I won't be in there a 3rd time.

If you went Rubi rear.. wouldn't you have to do the front as well? Due to the difference in width?

Reactions: BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I'm considering the same. Mine has had the rear carrier assembly replaced twice for this issue. Who's to say I won't be in there a 3rd time.

If you went Rubi rear.. wouldn't you have to do the front as well? Due to the difference in width?
Interesting I'm not sure. I knew the width was different, but assumed it was so little that it wouldn't effect anything significant.

Also, I'm beyond confused with the sound at this point. Every time I take tires off and reinstall the severity changes. In talking to a guy at a local off road shop, he thinks the description of the noise does not sound like differential, since they are used to hearing more of a whine.

I might just leave it alone until something fails

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
curious who has seen this knocking with the manual transmission. I notice it more when putting load on the axle and even more so when slightly rolling back. I got some video today, with five separate clips:

the first one is the "trying to hold steady 5 mph" in first gear, but knocking starts and then it continues to knock which then causes the jumping.
second and third are other examples of the knock when first engaging load on axles.
fourth is pulling into garage - several knocks and one clearly worse than others as moving forward.
last is at 10-15mph and you can hear that "helicopter" rotational knocking (under the wind)

is this what people are noticing before getting the consistent knocking all the time? and anyone with a manual notice is mostly when starting out in first?

thanks!

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2018 Sahara LSD 18,500 miles with some very faint knocking. I changed the diff fluid, check out what was sticking to the magnetic drain plug. I have appointment on Monday so dealership can pull apart. Somethings not right!

0612E13D-7E34-45A3-A95B-CEF77C4B4394.jpeg

Sponsored

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Iā€™m not a mechanic so not sure what it is, but it feels brittle. Maybe part of clutch assembly??

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2018 Sahara LSD 18,500 miles with some very faint knocking. I changed the diff fluid, check out what was sticking to the magnetic drain plug. I have appointment on Monday so dealership can pull apart. Somethings not right!

0612E13D-7E34-45A3-A95B-CEF77C4B4394.jpeg
Hi Logger!
Thanks for sharing this, I'm sorry to hear that you are sensing trouble with your Sahara. If you should require any additional assistance while your Jeep is in service, feel free to send our team a private message- we are happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Update on my Sport. I did not pass the torque test and the dealership is ordering a new carrier. Of course it is on backorder. I had to pay to have them service the rear end before they did the torque test. Seems kind of odd that they would do it in that order. The seat rail was bad too so they ordered another one of those, and did a flash on the radio that was resetting itself. Fun owning a Jeep isn't it...

Last edited:

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Logger!
Thanks for sharing this, I'm sorry to hear that you are sensing trouble with your Sahara. If you should require any additional assistance while your Jeep is in service, feel free to send our team a private message- we are happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares
thanks Kathryn

let me see how the appointment goes on Monday. If they donā€™t make it right Iā€™ll reach out.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
curious who has seen this knocking with the manual transmission. I notice it more when putting load on the axle and even more so when slightly rolling back. I got some video today, with five separate clips:

the first one is the "trying to hold steady 5 mph" in first gear, but knocking starts and then it continues to knock which then causes the jumping.
second and third are other examples of the knock when first engaging load on axles.
fourth is pulling into garage - several knocks and one clearly worse than others as moving forward.
last is at 10-15mph and you can hear that "helicopter" rotational knocking (under the wind)

is this what people are noticing before getting the consistent knocking all the time? and anyone with a manual notice is mostly when starting out in first?

thanks!

Do you have issues when just coasting / decelerating? That is the only time I experience an issue with the automatic transmission.

In your very first clip, when you seem to be trying to hold the speed and there is a repetitive / rotational / cyclic type clunk; that is when it sounds almost exactly like mine.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
For those who had their rear differential replaced, how long did it take for the noise to come back again for a second time?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @jroman,

If your knocking concerns have returned, please send us a message! We would like to document this and have a case escalated while in service to have this addressed.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @jroman,

If your knocking concerns have returned, please send us a message! We would like to document this and have a case escalated while in service to have this addressed.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thank you. Itā€™s actually at the dealer waiting for the rear differential carrier assembly to be replaced for the first time.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you. Itā€™s actually at the dealer waiting for the rear differential carrier assembly to be replaced for the first time.
Thanks for clarifying! We can certainly have a case escalated if you would like. Please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer to get started.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
No issues loud enough to notice when coasting, but do hear the same clunk when taking foot off the gas and start coasting. So there may be that rotational knock with my foot on the gas, then I do hear the clunk when I take my foot off and start coasting, but then can't hear the rotational knock after that until I hit the gas again and the clunk happens again. Although I now just noticed that after that slow speed clunking, that you can hear that knocking noise at the end of the first clip when I am decelerating.

I think that lower speed and trying to maintain speed at 5mph or so seems to be consistent across the jeeps that have had this problem. I'm planning to take into my dealer (@JeepCares ) but trying to figure out a way to have it happen more consistently to avoid the "cannot repeat problem" with the dealer...

Do you have issues when just coasting / decelerating? That is the only time I experience an issue with the automatic transmission.

In your very first clip, when you seem to be trying to hold the speed and there is a repetitive / rotational / cyclic type clunk; that is when it sounds almost exactly like mine.
Sponsored

Reactions: BJG