UK 2.0T 2 dr alarm fault

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
Has anyone got issues with the alarm activating. Mine goes off occasionally immediately after locking the Jeep and then randomly around 2.00 am.
It’s been looked at a couple of times but is difficult to simulate...
Any suggestions or members who managed to find a fix?

Thanks, Nick
Sponsored

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
No fix but mine does the same but have isolated it to seats being up and just locked.

does it 5 times out of 10 and only once , fine when reset .

I am not losing half my life at the dealers on this , it’s a Jeep thing :facepalm::facepalm:

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
Yup mine sometimes goes off a minute or so after locking. Absolutely no idea why and only seems to do it when parked in a particular spot!

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
My 4 door suffered the same problem. Mostly with the seats down! And usually shortly after locking, but also as you mention randomly some time after locking.

On one of the numerous trips to the dealer:headbang::headbang:, they swapped out all the alarm sensors as there was a known fault with them.
That seemed to cure the problem most of the time, although there were occasional alarms.

Then it went back in for yet more investigation on the ESS system and as part of that they swapped the alarm sensors again as one of them was apparently drawing too high a current. (I thought unlikely but I wasn't going to argue). Now it goes off every now and then and always shortly after locking, again usually with the rear seats folded. It doesn't go off in the night, so I am at the point of leaving it alone now. If it starts to become more frequent, then it will be back to the dealers again.

Not sure if you are aware (as I don't think it is in the manual anywhere) but if you press the lock button on the remote 4 times in quick succession, it arms the alarm without the interior sensors. Not great from a security point of view, but if it repeatedly keeps going off in the middle of the night, then at least it stops it triggering.

OP
OP

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No fix but mine does the same but have isolated it to seats being up and just locked.

does it 5 times out of 10 and only once , fine when reset .

I am not losing half my life at the dealers on this , it’s a Jeep thing :facepalm::facepalm:
Mine will go off again if reset.... if I press the key fob lock button 3-4 times the vehicle bleeps, disables some of the sensors as you might use it on a ferry for instance and then never goes off. My JK was the same, after 7 years and 2 vehicles doing it I’m getting a bit peeved.....
BTW I took the rear seats out as soon as I got it so they aren’t affecting mine.

This time I’m not letting it go, the dealer will have to rectify it! I was rather hoping someone else may have gone through the pain and found the solution.

Last edited:

Sponsored

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
It’s a Jeep thing unfortunately. Vehicle priced at nearly 50k and they can’t even get a decent alarm!

I gave up with my dealer. I just disable the alarm. If you are security conscious then remove anything of value from vehicle etc.

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
It’s a Jeep thing unfortunately. Vehicle priced at nearly 50k and they can’t even get a decent alarm!

I gave up with my dealer. I just disable the alarm. If you are security conscious then remove anything of value from vehicle etc.
Disabling using the 4 press method or another way?

OP
OP

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to say it took a couple of visits but the dealer did resolve this. Both the immediate activation of the alarm and the more random middle of the night activation. There was some rectification instructions left inside the vehicle which required the hard top being removed and additional foam being added to the “muckets“. A word I’ve never come across before.....
Several months since it was done and no issues

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
Apologies for jumping on an older thread but as I am due to pick up my 2020 2 door rubicon in the UK I was wondering about the alarm/immobiliser fitted as I believe these differ to the US cars.

I'm assuming by reading this, there is interior motion detection but could you also advise if there is;

1. A bonnet trigger?
  2. An Immobiliser?
  3. Dead locks?
Thanks in advance...

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is definitely a bonnet trigger (twin plungers at the front right as you look into the engine compartment) I think one does the alarm, the other triggers a warning if the bonnet is not closed correctly).
I am also pretty sure there is an immobiliser linked to the keyfob.
No deadlocks that I am aware of as there is only a single stage locking process and the doors can be unlocked from inside once locked.

Hopefully your alarm will be more reliable than mine and won't keep going off randomly shortly after the vehicle is locked!
If it does keep going off, and/or if you want to lock it with the interior sensors disabled, then pressing the lock button four times in quick succession on the fob disables the interior sensors. The vehicle bleeps a couple of times to confirm the part set. (Mine's a 2018 4 door, so the system may be different on a 2020 model).

Sponsored

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
There is definitely a bonnet trigger (twin plungers at the front right as you look into the engine compartment) I think one does the alarm, the other triggers a warning if the bonnet is not closed correctly).
I am also pretty sure there is an immobiliser linked to the keyfob.
No deadlocks that I am aware of as there is only a single stage locking process and the doors can be unlocked from inside once locked.

Hopefully your alarm will be more reliable than mine and won't keep going off randomly shortly after the vehicle is locked!
If it does keep going off, and/or if you want to lock it with the interior sensors disabled, then pressing the lock button four times in quick succession on the fob disables the interior sensors. The vehicle bleeps a couple of times to confirm the part set. (Mine's a 2018 4 door, so the system may be different on a 2020 model).
I am quite sure that you can not open the doors from the inside once they are locked -it just takes a little while to engage. I have not verified this myself, but I have read this numerous times on different forums.

Overlander21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Overland (UK spec)
I am quite sure that you can not open the doors from the inside once they are locked -it just takes a little while to engage. I have not verified this myself, but I have read this numerous times on different forums.
Did anyone ever confirm the deadlocking action?

On my old (FCA) Dodge Nitro you would lock the doors once with the remote, then around 60 seconds later if you listened carefully you could hear the deadlocks engaging automatically.

I've not heard my Jeep make any similar noises 🤔

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I didn't check on this at the time.
I no longer have the Jeep so I can't do any tests on the locking.
Sponsored