Sponsored

front diff skid?

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Not noticed anything rubbing. Got a picture? Can you find traces of paint on anything that may rub it - track bar perhaps?
Pic attached. It was tough contorting myself under there to see the back of the track bar, but there is indeed some green paint on the back of it. Is this indicative of a tweaked steering component? Jeep drives great and steering wheel is centered. No obvious signs of damage. I'm at a loss.

IMG_5129.jpg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Pic attached. It was tough contorting myself under there to see the back of the track bar, but there is indeed some green paint on the back of it. Is this indicative of a tweaked steering component? Jeep drives great and steering wheel is centered. No obvious signs of damage. I'm at a loss.

IMG_5129.jpg
Any lift installed or other suspension changes?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This is a theory but a few data points to support it.

I suspect MetalCloak did most of their testing on lifted jeeps. If lifted that gets the track bar frame mount higher above the axle over stock and therefore the track bar is not in front of the diff cover unless significant suspension compression.

I've noticed this on a local Jeep that has added a Synergy front track bar and sector shaft brace without a lift. It has issues with the axle side track bar hitting the axle side mount coming over speed bumps or hard braking. You can feel it contact. But if this jeep was lifted the angle would be more extreme and this contact really not likely unless a lot of front suspension compression.

I told the owner we could meet up this weekend and check it out and take some pictures. I'll bring a factory track bar as he may want to swap back and threw his stock one out (why do this??)

But I'm starting to think almost all of the suspension parts and some covers like MC are really intended for lifted jeeps as who would do so to a stock height? And only tested on such jeeps....

Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I’ve never noticed any knocks or jolts. I may file the track bar a few mils, repaint, and see what happens. Plan to lift once I get my tax refund.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’ve never noticed any knocks or jolts. I may file the track bar a few mils, repaint, and see what happens. Plan to lift once I get my tax refund.
You likely won't as it looks more like a rub as you point out versus a bind.

Send a picture to MetalCloak support as they need to know and if an issue need to update the product description.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I should have noted I have the Yeti and no lift. Seeing where your rub is, it looks like it would be near where the arc of the bar starts. The stock bar is much thinner, so it would seem there would be less chance of any rub compared to a thicker bar. It's not exactly a reasonable comparison, but still odd. It also stinks that your paint job is scuffed.

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

bcunning92

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

IMG_5129.jpg
I have the same issue. I recently installed on a stock Rubicon Gladiator. A week of on road driving and paint is rubbing off. I did use the stock gasket as it was less than 6 mo old and still in good shape, so that may add some thickness over the supplied silicon gasket maker, causing the rub.
I emailed Metalcloak about it, and their response was:
"Thanks for the message! You are this first on this issue. To be fair I am not sure how many people run our covers at Factory height. I would say its time for a lift…."
It would be nice if this information was on the page where the part is ordered. While I do plan on lifting, the solution to spend another $3k with Metalcoak to alleviate the problem is a bit off-putting.

Image_1 2020-02-14_09-17-10.jpeg

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same issue. I recently installed on a stock Rubicon Gladiator. A week of on road driving and paint is rubbing off. I did use the stock gasket as it was less than 6 mo old and still in good shape, so that may add some thickness over the supplied silicon gasket maker, causing the rub.
I emailed Metalcloak about it, and their response was:
"Thanks for the message! You are this first on this issue. To be fair I am not sure how many people run our covers at Factory height. I would say its time for a lift…."
It would be nice if this information was on the page where the part is ordered. While I do plan on lifting, the solution to spend another $3k with Metalcoak to alleviate the problem is a bit off-putting.
Yup, exact same spot. Lucky for me I did just install a lift so the problem should be alleviated, but I agree their response is a bit cavalier.

Sponsored

jeepis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (2019 JL)
I should have noted I have the Yeti and no lift. Seeing where your rub is, it looks like it would be near where the arc of the bar starts. The stock bar is much thinner, so it would seem there would be less chance of any rub compared to a thicker bar. It's not exactly a reasonable comparison, but still odd. It also stinks that your paint job is scuffed.

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG
How was the install of your metal cloak front diff skid? What sort of gasket did you use when putting it on?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
How was the install of your metal cloak front diff skid? What sort of gasket did you use when putting it on?
It was incredibly easy... front and rear. I used a silicone gasket (Permatex) even though they provided silicone, but if I were smart I would've used the stock gasket. It's still in excellent shape.. I just wasn't thinking.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reused the stock gasket, no issues.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
No lift, stock track bar. I'm getting the rub in the same place as everyone else. It's only been on for 3 days, no off-roading.

I'm not ready to lift yet, but when I do I'll go with Synergy. And because I like my stuff to match, I'd put on their track bar early. Does any one have that setup? @AllJumpStyle , your website says that your trackbar is bent to clear aftermarket diff covers, how much different is it from stock?

IMG_20200331_170136.jpg

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No lift, stock track bar. I'm getting the rub in the same place as everyone else. It's only been on for 3 days, no off-roading.

I'm not ready to lift yet, but when I do I'll go with Synergy. And because I like my stuff to match, I'd put on their track bar early. Does any one have that setup? @AllJumpStyle , your website says that your trackbar is bent to clear aftermarket diff covers, how much different is it from stock?

IMG_20200331_170136.jpg
yeah, that is the EXACT same spot and pattern where mine was rubbed.
Sponsored