Sponsored

The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Yeah same. And what I meant with sourdough was there is a Rubicon Gladiator so why couldn't there be a Mojave Wrangler, with the same sort of setup? That's how I read that line in the article, but whatever. If that is the type of vehicle you want you could build better with the aid of a shop anyways. Which would be a fun project to be honest
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I’m disappointed to read the Mojave won’t have a front locker or sway bar disconnect option.
That's called a Rubicon, right?

Clearly Jeep is trying to build differences into the trims for a reason.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That's called a Rubicon, right?

Clearly Jeep is trying to build differences into the trims for a reason.
Yeah and? What if I want features from both without going aftermarket? It’s not difficult to remedy but it would be nice to have the front locker at least. Lol, I can be disappointed if I want to and it’s not a stretch desiring an all around improved capability from the factory.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Yeah and? What if I want features from both without going aftermarket? It’s not difficult to remedy but it would be nice to have the front locker at least. Lol, I can be disappointed if I want to and it’s not a stretch desiring an all around improved capability from the factory.
Probably will be on the Mohave Recon package.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I hear they are leaving the keys in them l as well so they can be as effective as the currently planned border wall... probably much cheaper than what’s proposed and just as effective...did I mention how effective a wall is in today’s modern times ... did you hear about the Great Wall keeping the Mongolians out???? Yeah me neither

It did for a long time. Walls work great in Israel, Iran, etc. Bases and gated communities too. It’s all about deterrence. The harder we make it for vermin to get in, the better

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I wonder if they are just overproducing these trucks. This is a pretty niche vehicle. I would think 50,000-70,000/year would be a win for Jeep and they seem to be on track for that.

Aren't there big incentives on all trucks? JT doesn't seem like an outlier.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It did for a long time. Walls work great in Israel, Iran, etc. Bases and gated communities too. It’s all about deterrence. The harder we make it for vermin to get in, the better
Correct and it’s not about stopping it all realistically. It was never presented that way either. It’s to stem the flow to where border patrol aren’t overwhelmed.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Nope. Again, the buying public has no clue and don't give two shits if you can install 37's on your truck. The majority want something comfortable, quiet and dependable and fits their budget. The majority will rarely do serious modifications to it. This has nothing to do with me being happy with a Ranger or you being happy with a F150. I'm not arguing the case personally. There's nothing inherently wrong with the V6. Its a good engine. Its under powered for what the truck is. Its only saving grace is the 8 speed auto. I have had 3 of those engines in 2 JKs and a JL. with 35's and 37's.
All you need to do is drive the others to understand this.

We aren't comparing the ride of the JT to a JL. We are comparing the midsize truck market its trying to compete in. And once again. Stock to stock the only midsize truck that would have a problem competing would be a Honda Ridgeline. No one is saying the JT is a piece of shit, its just not what you think it is. Its overpriced for what it is. These JL/JT's are amazingly comfortable and quiet.....for a Jeep. Most of us are used to it, and accept the many quirks they have. The majority of the buying public, does not.
Not all the buying public is stupid.. It's like saying the owners of vettes don't know what they are capable of. lol

We differ because I don't think the new JT is comparable to anything else out there. AGAIN I'm sure jeep wants to take sales away from them and will but only because the JT is so much more formidable off road, and has a fun factor they can only dream to have. If off road prowess, and fun factor isn't important to them whether they use it or not they can go with a less capable/fun rig. A Ranger, taco, f150 etc just doesn't have the same swagger as a JT but for some people it doesn't need to be.. Not sure how anyone can argue this??

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Not all the buying public is stupid.. It's like saying the owners of vettes don't know what they are capable of. lol

We differ because I don't think the new JT is comparable to anything else out there. AGAIN I'm sure jeep wants to take sales away from them and will but only because the JT is so much more formidable off road, and has a fun factor they can only dream to have. If off road prowess, and fun factor isn't important to them whether they use it or not they can go with a less capable/fun rig. A Ranger, taco, f150 etc just doesn't have the same swagger as a JT but for some people it doesn't need to be.. Not sure how anyone can argue this??

I actually think we agree on a lot. I never said the entire buying public. I said the majority. That is the truth. The majority. We are different, because we own and have owned Jeeps, at least for me, for 35 years. Off road prowess, once again, means very little to the majority and I promise if it does, its way down the list behind comfort, power, quiet and driving impressions. And yes, most Corvette owners are clueless to what the car is capable of and don't have the skill to bring it to its potential.

Even most owners on this board have no clue what their own Jeep is capable of and never, ever find out. That's why I keep saying that the majority of mid size buyers are different than us. We put up with some of the annoyances because we enjoy the Jeep. You're right, no other mid-size truck has the swagger that a JT has. I completely agree.

There is no bashing of the JT. Its cool in its own right and I like it. But its in a mid size class and it has a lot of competition that is just better at certain things that a lot of mid size buyers want. That's why its sales are near bottom of the pack for midsize trucks. I imagine that will change a bit when the Diesel is released in it. We just need to take our Jeep glasses off and look at the reasons why. I guess we can respectfully agree to disagree and hope for the best. I want the Gladiator to succeed.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
A 2019 F250 got stuck in the mud. I got stuck next to it in my Gladiator, but I was able to get myself out.

We both had stock truck tires (nothing like a KO2 Nitto or Falken). And while we both had the same starting point of stuck-ness, he had been spinning his wheels for hours and dug himself in.

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I actually think we agree on a lot. I never said the entire buying public. I said the majority. That is the truth. The majority. We are different, because we own and have owned Jeeps, at least for me, for 35 years. Off road prowess, once again, means very little to the majority and I promise if it does, its way down the list behind comfort, power, quiet and driving impressions. And yes, most Corvette owners are clueless to what the car is capable of and don't have the skill to bring it to its potential.

Even most owners on this board have no clue what their own Jeep is capable of and never, ever find out. That's why I keep saying that the majority of mid size buyers are different than us. We put up with some of the annoyances because we enjoy the Jeep. You're right, no other mid-size truck has the swagger that a JT has. I completely agree.

There is no bashing of the JT. Its cool in its own right and I like it. But its in a mid size class and it has a lot of competition that is just better at certain things that a lot of mid size buyers want. That's why its sales are near bottom of the pack for midsize trucks. I imagine that will change a bit when the Diesel is released in it. We just need to take our Jeep glasses off and look at the reasons why. I guess we can respectfully agree to disagree and hope for the best. I want the Gladiator to succeed.
I dont think we agree on much. The TRUTH is an incredibly HIGH percentage of jeep owners know they kick arse for off road. If they dont it's pretty scary. lol Same with a Vette and it's on road performance. The TRUTH is in both jeep and vette owners buy them for their performance and fun factor whether then use it or not. You dont buy a f150 or a ranger for off road performance or FUN.

Like I've been saying the JT has no competition, not even close. For now it's its own category.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I dont think we agree on much. The TRUTH is an incredibly HIGH percentage of jeep owners know they kick arse for off road. If they dont it's pretty scary. lol Same with a Vette and it's on road performance. The TRUTH is in both jeep and vette owners buy them for their performance and fun factor whether then use it or not. You dont buy a f150 or a ranger for off road performance or FUN.

Like I've been saying the JT has no competition, not even close. For now it's its own category.
Well I guess we don’t agree on much.
Jeep better hope it’s not in its own category because there’s not enough people in your so called category to continue to manufacture them. :CWL:

All jokes aside, the TRUTH unfortunately is it’s a midsize pickup near the bottom of the sales figures. We can hope as Jeep owners that it recovers. But as it is now, people are choosing the boring midsize trucks over the Gladiator.

Nerdsmith

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport
Went to take my JLUS for service last saturday and got to speak with a sales guy, and he offered me some insight to the basis of "struggling sales" at least within northern california. Stock base model JT's are not selling at all. Unless your a jeeper who wants to build a base model JT. They are selling JT's easily that are already outfitted with a Mopar lift & 35's w/ bumper & winch because this is the only way it looks good. The dealership i was at had a base model JT that has been sitting since launch so it would actually be a good sale for someone looking to build a JT.

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
If all you want/need is a pickup truck, the Gladiator has stiff competition. If you really want a Jeep but need pickup/towing capabilities also,, the Gladiator is perfect. For me, the Sport S Max Tow was perfect, a combination of Jeep, towing, hauling, daily driving. A lot of buyers, me included, did/do not use all the capabilities of the Rubicon, but do have a real use for the max tow version.
Sponsored