Heated steering wheel too hot

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
Does anyone find the heated steering wheel too hot? I find that it gets uncomfortable after around 3-5 minutes. Even when it's freezing cold outside. None of my other vehicles ever had a steering wheel get as hot as the JL.
Sponsored

JustaJL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2.0t
Occupation
Owner, Driveline Tech and Fabrication
Mine seems to get really hot too. I have been shutting it off, then back on again till I feel like I don't need it on anymore.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. I don't remember it being this way before the last "software update" they put on my Jeep back in November.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't think mine gets too hot.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Wrap bacon around your steering wheel. You'll not only have good snackin' you'll get rid of that nasty new car smell and replace it with bacon!

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I was actually thinking it was not hot enough!

Driving down the freeway in 45°F weather, with the top down. Heater blasting at my feet (heater feels like a dang furnace), heated seats keeping backside warm, but the steering wheel felt underwhelming.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I put a nice leather steering wheel cover on it. More comfortable to drive and keeps the a bit lower. Takes a little longer to feel the heat, but a bit more muted

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I agree that wheel gets hot after a couple of minutes but i love it. I never in a million years would of thought that and scoffed at the idea in the past. I’m a believer now.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
My 2017 Grand Cherokee heated wheel never never got hot or even warm for that matter. Took it in multiple times and it was always "operating to factory specs", that and it would shut off on its own constantly. Apparently this has plagued 2017 & 2018 non Overland models, so I know it wasn't just mine. The wheel in my JLU gets nice and hot, when it gets too hot I turn it off. Be thankful it at least works, I am haha.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I put a nice leather steering wheel cover on it. More comfortable to drive and keeps the a bit lower. Takes a little longer to feel the heat, but a bit more muted
I put a nice stitch up leather cover on my Durango, years ago, to protect the steering wheel. The cover actually made the steering wheel material wrinkle up over time, terrible results. So, bottom line, if your cover is removable you should occasionally inspect the steering wheel itself to prevent damage.

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU MOAB, '13 Nissan 370Z Roadster
Mine seems to heat up to quite hot after I would say 10 minutes them it will cool down to just Luke warm and stay there. I want it to be hot all the time. Also, on warmer days, it doesn't feel like it ever gets hot. I am wondering whether their is an algorithm behind all this accounting for outside temperature and other factors.
Sponsored