First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD I 2018 Dynamax DX3 motorhome
Occupation
Retired
Just pulled trigger and ordered a 2020 Rubi unlimited with the Diesel engine, got the (ADE)cold weather group. That changes the wheels to 18”, why? Is it for clearance for the brake assembly which might be bigger due to the extra weight of the diesel? That kinda sucks because I had two complete sets of wheels and tires on my 2014, 5 for highway and 5 bigger off road tires and wheels, I am keeping the off road set and trading in the highway set on the old Rubi! Will these M/T 17 “ rims fit the new 2020? Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just pulled trigger and ordered a 2020 Rubi unlimited with the Diesel engine, got the (ADE)cold weather group. That changes the wheels to 18”, why? Is it for clearance for the brake assembly which might be bigger due to the extra weight of the diesel? That kinda sucks because I had two complete sets of wheels and tires on my 2014, 5 for highway and 5 bigger off road tires and wheels, I am keeping the off road set and trading in the highway set on the old Rubi! Will these M/T 17 “ rims fit the new 2020? Any thoughts?
Not sure of the reason they bumped up to 18's, but your old wheels should fit. You'll just need different lugs and, of course, new TPMS sensors. The offset might be off just a little, though I don't believe it's been a concern unless you lift it and go with much bigger tires.

OP
OP
Fredski007

Fredski007

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Not sure of the reason they bumped up to 18's, but your old wheels should fit. You'll just need different lugs and, of course, new TPMS sensors. The offset might be off just a little, though I don't believe it's been a concern unless you lift it and go with much bigger tires.
Michael, thanks, I’m stupid, why different lugs(lugnuts?)

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Fredski007

Fredski007

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might not need new lug nuts if your aftermarket wheels have enough room in the lug bores. The stock JL lug nuts (for 14x1.5 thread) have a built-in washer that makes it tough to fit inside many aftermarket wheels, but some such as AEV have enough room. Not sure about those MT wheels though.

Here's a thread on that too :)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/18”-rim-on-rubi.46657/

Haven't heard of any brake differences w/ the diesel, but there could be ???
Maybe they just wanted to have a different overall look for that pkg and changing wheels would be an easy item to make that happen :)

Oh, and congrats on that new order, should be a beast!
And thanks for your service :)

WheelsASAP.com

First Name
Kali
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelsasap.com
Vehicle(s)
TRD Pro
Occupation
Wheel Guru