JL grease points?

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited Granite Gray
Hey guys, where are the grease points on the new Jl? Or does it run a sealed boot system? Have any one greased their ball joints already? If so how? I saw some guy using a needle to punctured the boot but im not sure if i can do that on the JL
Sponsored

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hey guys, where are the grease points on the new Jl? Or does it run a sealed boot system? Have any one greased their ball joints already? If so how? I saw some guy using a needle to punctured the boot but im not sure if i can do that on the JL
If it’s anything like the JL, everything is sealed and non serviceable. If it were me I wouldn’t be putting grease needles in things that don’t require servicing. I replaced the ball joints on my JK at around 60,000km with Moog joints that have grease fittings and 100,000km later they’re holding up just fine.

OP
OP
AeonFrost

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it’s anything like the JL, everything is sealed and non serviceable. If it were me I wouldn’t be putting grease needles in things that don’t require servicing. I replaced the ball joints on my JK at around 60,000km with Moog joints that have grease fittings and 100,000km later they’re holding up just fine.
Right, that makes sense, definitely not putting a grease needle thru the boot. so follow up question, are there aftermarket parts with grease fitting for a JL? or that not just not a thing.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Right, that makes sense, definitely not putting a grease needle thru the boot. so follow up question, are there aftermarket parts with grease fitting for a JL? or that not just not a thing.
Can’t confirm for certain On the JL but I suspect like on the JK many aftermarket options will have grease fittings for things like ball joints, u joints, track bar/drag link/tie rod ends and the occasional option for control arms. A recent example I saw of this in the JL is the synergy track bar/sector shaft brace which has a grease fitting on the sector shaft portion.

OP
OP
AeonFrost

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can’t confirm for certain On the JL but I suspect like on the JK many aftermarket options will have grease fittings for things like ball joints, u joints, track bar/drag link/tie rod ends and the occasional option for control arms. A recent example I saw of this in the JL is the synergy track bar/sector shaft brace which has a grease fitting on the sector shaft portion.
oh thats excellent news, thank you, I now know what to look for.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I was also wondering about the lack of grease points on the Jeep this weekend.
I remember I had an old Montero 2 door, which had a ridiculous number of grease fittings. Basically, if it moved and was metal you could grease it.
I would imagine it is only a cost saving item and also a way increase service revenue down the road due to non serviceable wearing parts.

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
I was also wondering about the lack of grease points on the Jeep this weekend.
I remember I had an old Montero 2 door, which had a ridiculous number of grease fittings. Basically, if it moved and was metal you could grease it.
I would imagine it is only a cost saving item and also a way increase service revenue down the road due to non serviceable wearing parts.
Grease fittings can be installed on all the tie rod and drag link fittings and upper ball joints by drilling and tapping with a grease fitting multi-tool into the appropriate spot on the sheet metal cover where a fitting would normally be. The lower ball joints dont have any clearance to install a fitting so they cant be saved. On the upper ball joints use grease on the drill and the tap to catch the chips since you'd be drilling and tapping downwards. I've done this on more than one new vehicle and have extended the service life indefinitely. I'm not sure if its worth doing the upper ball joints, as the lowers and the wheel u-joints will have to be replaced at some point anyway. If you have the money, skills, and tools of course you can just replace all the parts in the same amount of time, minus an alignment. This tip is for some of us who have more time than money or who just dont want to see good parts go to waste because OEMs needed to save a legit 2 dollars on each vehicle. Maybe next they will seal the engine so you cant change the oil either.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
because OEMs needed to save a legit 2 dollars on each vehicle.
I take your meaning, but don't confuse the cost of a grease nipple with the cost of installing a grease nipple on a manufacturing line. Drill, tap, install without stripping then fill with grease. Likely more around $20 per Wrangler in man power, parts and reduction in throughput. 4 million a year isn't peanuts.
Sponsored