First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
So what’s the consensus? TS Plumb-back, TS Dual Port, or GFB DV+? I have the TS BOV on my Raptor & love it & the vented to atmosphere sound, but it seems that the vented to atmosphere may throw CELs on the Jeep? Has there been any issue with the TS Plumb-Back at all such as throwing CELs?
Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
So what’s the consensus? TS Plumb-back, TS Dual Port, or GFB DV+? I have the TS BOV on my Raptor & love it & the vented to atmosphere sound, but it seems that the vented to atmosphere may throw CELs on the Jeep? Has there been any issue with the TS Plumb-Back at all such as throwing CELs?
I, as well as a few other members, have had issues with the TS Plumb as well. Some threw CELs, I had consistent reduction in performance from baseline. However, majority of installs so far appear to be clean so we likely had rare bad units. The GFB DV+ appears to have no reported issues. Downside is you have to disassemble the stock BOV which is prone to "break" the parts taken out so you can't go back to stock without purchasing a brand new one.

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I, as well as a few other members, have had issues with the TS Plumb as well. Some threw CELs, I had consistent reduction in performance from baseline. However, majority of installs so far appear to be clean so we likely had rare bad units. The GFB DV+ appears to have no reported issues. Downside is you have to disassemble the stock BOV which is prone to "break" the parts taken out so you can't go back to stock without purchasing a brand new one.
Would the GFB DV+ void the powertrain warranty though? If not, I’d have no interest in swapping back to stock parts unless it threw CELs or voided warranty. I’d assume it’s similar to doing a CAI or intercooler pipe, as it’s not changing to an entirely different unit, it’s just swapping to a stronger part that utilizes all the same mechanical components. That’d be my only concern. I’d probably do this instead of the plumb back because the only reason I wanted the TS was for the vent to atmosphere sound. I’ll probably go GFB DV+ to avoid any headache.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading online, the only way to actually void your warranty is to tamper with the odometer which makes sense given warranties are time and mileage dependent. Installing aftermarket parts downstream of the air intake, from what I have read, could deny your claim if something were to go wrong. Void your warranty? No, not likely. Increase likelihood your claim will be invalidated? Probably, but this would be relative. A transmission failure wouldn't likely be caused by an aftermarket BOV, but issues with the engine may likely have FCA or the dealer using the aftermarket part as a scapegoat.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
I am definitely on the fence about all this. I ordered the Mishimoto intercooler pipe and air intake. If I do go with BOV it will be the dual port for that pshhh sound, however from what I’ve read a lot of people have issues with both aftermarket BOVs and I don’t see any other companies making BOVs for our jeeps.

Sponsored

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EHS
I installed mine today and definitely hear the sound. Just like in the video cj pony posted. I don’t know why there’s two of you now that say there’s no sound. In low rpms I can’t hear it but when I press down on the throttle I can definitely hear it while driving even after I put the engine cover back on
Newyorkyan if I end up getting one I sure hope it runs as good as yours. This thread has proven to be a mixed bag.

Last edited:

FastAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JlR
Coming from having a few turbo rides before my JL. You want to be careful with bov's and intakes without tuning to accommodate those changes. Those mods can make for moment's of running lean.

Last edited:

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to add that TurboSmart customer support is AMAZING and very attentive so if you happen to have a problem they'll take care of you no sweat. Bad parts happen. I think they make a great product nonetheless.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EHS
I'd like to add that TurboSmart customer support is AMAZING and very attentive so if you happen to have a problem they'll take care of you no sweat. Bad parts happen. I think they make a great product nonetheless.
I definitely agree with the customer support. I installed the Mishimoto Intercooler pipe and dual port blow-off Tuesday afternoon. Jeep drove like a champ to work Wednesday morning and definitely heard the pssshhh sound (there will be a little less power due to venting to atmosphere).

Unfortunately when I was heading home that afternoon I got the CEL code P0039 and noticed I lost a good bit of Turbo power. So, I contacted Turbosmart who told me to put stock blowoff back on and that they will need to get with engineering on this matter. There apparently seems to be a handful of us (myself included) that seem to have very temperamental Jeep ECMs. Their local Jeep ginuea pig is running the same dual port since June and has had no issues. Hope something good for myself and the rest of us will be resolved soon.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EHS
Anyone have issued with their TS BOV after install? I put the Plumback on mine on Tuesday and just had issues with it today (Friday). Driving back from a 2hr trip, felt like I had no turbo when accelerating, even flooring it. Felt like it was being choked and I was driving a Prius, I had not even a turbo whine coming out. I switched back to factory after pulling into my driveway - engine still hot - and got back on the road for a spirited drive and good as new. Immediate response and flying at all speeds, sweet sounds all around.

I'm thinking it's the BOV since I was back in the game after going back to factory. I checked the air filter just in case for obstruction and nothing. Couldn't think of anything else and I had no other engine mods aside that one swap.
Sounds very similar to my experience 2 days ago with the TS Dual Port BOV

Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a rare bad unit. I'm currently running the GFB DV+ with just over 400mi on it already and no issues and don't foresee any given how it's basic design has been tested repeatedly across the Alfa and other engines.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My Turbosmart Bpv tripped another code today... Not sure what I want to do with it now..

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EHS
My Turbosmart Bpv tripped another code today... Not sure what I want to do with it now..
You have the plumb-back correct? How many miles you have on it and any performance (drivability) issues?

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EHS
I had a rare bad unit. I'm currently running the GFB DV+ with just over 400mi on it already and no issues and don't foresee any given how it's basic design has been tested repeatedly across the Alfa and other engines.
Those GFB DV+ are plum backs right?

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those GFB DV+ are plum backs right?
Yep. No venting so it'll sound just like stock but feel way better than stock.

I have the Mishimoto IC installed and she sounds way better now. I like the sound of turbo blow-off but not at the sake of performance. In my opinion the 2.0 sounds amazing under load. The turbo spool is very noticeable.
Sponsored