First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Correctional Officer - Maximum Security Prison
So this is my first post, about my first Jeep, but not first lifted vehicle and I have a few questions but I did search the hell out of this forum first for the last couple weeks to try and get as many answers as I could before posting.

I have an 8 speed auto 2018 Sahara JL with the stock 3.45 gears and the rear Dana 44. I've read that 37s are too much for these gears however I found that the Mastercraft Courser MXT 37s are 6-11 lbs lighter than Nitto 35s.

I've also heard it's not all about the weight but the size too and they measure 36.81 so my question would be, would a really light 37 that measures slightly under 37 still work with the 3.45s and not bog it down too much considering I have the 8 speed auto? I know I would for sure lose 8th but do you think I'd lose more than that given its a much lighter 37 thats lighter than a 35?

I don't plan on doing anything more than basic trails so 98% of the time it's going to be around town driving and occasionally highway and would be my DD.

I would love to hear from someone that has these Courser MXTs on a Sahara to see how it responds but that's probably a long shot. I'll leave it up to the experts here to steer me in the right direction.

So it's either 35s with a 2.5" lift or 3.5" with the Courser MXT 37s if you guys think it wouldn't be too bad due to the lighter weight, only 74 lbs if I go with 20" wheels or 69 lbs if I go with 17" wheels vs. a Nitto 35 that weighs 80.

Again I know its not all about the weight but just thought I would throw that out there and see what you guys thought since I do have an 8 speed auto and rear Dana 44 as well. Hopefully a light 37 would be acceptable. Thanks for your time!
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
No 37s besides Interco actually measure 37 inches tall. Weight is definitely a factor, however even with a light 37, you will feel a difference in regard to acceleration and shifting.

Most 37 inch tires actually measure 35.25-36 under the weight of the vehicle. Most 35s measure 33.25-34.

OP
OP
Morrison

Morrison

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
No 37s besides Interco actually measure 37 inches tall. Weight is definitely a factor, however even with a light 37, you will feel a difference in regard to acceleration and shifting.

Most 37 inch tires actually measure 35.25-36 under the weight of the vehicle. Most 35s measure 33.25-34.
so do you think a 37 that weighs less than most 35s would be ok on an 8 speed auto sahara with 3.45s? I don't mind losing a gear or so or losing a little MPG as long as nothing will break down or anything and like I said I'll rarely go off road and if I do just basic trails

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
so do you think a 37 that weighs less than most 35s would be ok on an 8 speed auto sahara with 3.45s? I don't mind losing a gear or so or losing a little MPG as long as nothing will break down or anything and like I said I'll rarely go off road and if I do just basic trails
I don't think it will cause you to break down. If will put more wear and tear on parts which will cause you to have to eventually replace then quicker than with a stock set up. It will most likely be sluggish with 37s.

OP
OP
Morrison

Morrison

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
I don't think it will cause you to break down. If will put more wear and tear on parts which will cause you to have to eventually replace then quicker than with a stock set up. It will most likely be sluggish with 37s.
I just found a guy on here with a sport with the 3.45 gears and 37s and he says it feels fine even at 70-80mph and pretty much loses 8th gear but he's actually fine with how it drives.

Sponsored

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I just found a guy on here with a sport with the 3.45 gears and 37s and he says it feels fine even at 70-80mph and pretty much loses 8th gear but he's actually fine with how it drives.
Im curious if you’ve been running the 37s on your sahara by now? If so, how does it run? Any issues?

ZombieMojitoJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Saraha
Vehicle Showcase
I know two people who went 37s and didn't regear. I too own a Sahara running 35s with the stock 3.45 gearing. My friends who went with 37s lost 7 and 8th gear - acceleration is slow and mileage tanked to around 14-15mpg if you are okay with that then do it. You can always regear later which should be 4.88 IMHO. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Sponsored