285/75r17 on Sahara

PTGT3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Right I’m a real novice here, have built track cars in the past but now looking to have some fun with my new JL Sahara.

First thing I want to do is beef up the wheels. (It’s stock, so no lift etc).

I have been scrolling though the various posts and I think 285 /70 /17 AT tyres should fit no problem.

But please can I just check with you experts ?

These are the wheels I’m putting them on

https://www.chelseatruckcompany.com/exterior/wheels/jeep-1941dc

( I live in Singapore so have to import everything and a mistake is a costly one)

Thx for your advice
Sponsored

scottw

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Has anyone gone with a -18 offset (with 285/75/17)? Do you have a picture you could post?

CU Tiger Paw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Granite Crystal
Marc, that CJ is awesome! So I did go with the 285/75 and at least so far I don'r regret it. I did also do C (6ply) so should stay soft. I get its bound to be louder with those treads than stock (maybe not much louder than KO2s but I wouldn't know). Love the idea of a black grill. Will have to think on that one.

Like you i will do the filler door before long. Only other things i know i will do in time is steel bumpers, a small bar on the front., and some lights. The mod bug is real!

CU Tiger Paw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I finally took delivery and then immediately swapped out the stocks to KMC XD Monster 2's with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75x17's. The run and fit great, but the extra weight on the tire carrier is freaking me the hell out.

At 65 lbs for the tire and 31 lbs for the wheel, I would usually say close enough; however, I have it snugged as tight as I can get it, and it's not even close to touching the rubber anti-vibration mounts on the tailgate. I am actually considering taking it off just to be safe.

Driver's-34.jpg

Front.jpg

CU Tiger Paw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have looked everywhere and Atomic is as close to what I want as I can find.

I have Sahara with rubicon shocks, springs and wheels. I wanted a slightly larger tire thank stock 285 70 but didn’t want new wheels or spacers.

I ordered 285 75 17 ridge Grappler C rated to put on stock rubicon wheels with no other mods. Should be installed in 2 days and can comment on ride vs stock rubi KO2 with this configuration.

I really wanted 315 70 17 but it’s 90% street Jeep and wanted the biggest tire in C rated with least amount of mods that would impact ride quality.

I picked up tons of info on this forum and sure it saved me a ton of money and headaches otherwise. Thanks atomic/all.

Sponsored

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have looked everywhere and Atomic is as close to what I want as I can find.

I have Sahara with rubicon shocks, springs and wheels. I wanted a slightly larger tire thank stock 285 70 but didn’t want new wheels or spacers.

I ordered 285 75 17 ridge Grappler C rated to put on stock rubicon wheels with no other mods. Should be installed in 2 days and can comment on ride vs stock rubi KO2 with this configuration.

I really wanted 315 70 17 but it’s 90% street Jeep and wanted the biggest tire in C rated with least amount of mods that would impact ride quality.

I picked up tons of info on this forum and sure it saved me a ton of money and headaches otherwise. Thanks atomic/all.
Marc, that CJ is awesome! So I did go with the 285/75 and at least so far I don'r regret it. I did also do C (6ply) so should stay soft. I get its bound to be louder with those treads than stock (maybe not much louder than KO2s but I wouldn't know). Love the idea of a black grill. Will have to think on that one.

Like you i will do the filler door before long. Only other things i know i will do in time is steel bumpers, a small bar on the front., and some lights. The mod bug is real!
whaT wheels did you go with? The Nittos and 8 hole wheels are on my list

KananagaS

First Name
Sho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Found a big rock, took some more pictures. That rock is actually bigger than it looks in the pictures the front bumper only just cleared it by an inch or so.

The back tire is stuffed and interfering with the fender but does seems to be on the bump-stop so its probably as bad as it would get in the back. Fortunately the plastic rim on the fender is pliable and no harm was done. Just noticed I went a bit past the top of the rock before stopping so missed a picture of it at the very top. You can see from the picture that the front bump stop has at least 1" maybe 1.5" to go.

There is lots of clearance on the front and could go to the bumper stop easily I think. I didn't find a rock suitable to push it to the limit.

By the way, I'm very impressed that the suspension made no noise at all when flexed. My past vehicles would groan and protest. The Jeep did this without any fuss at all.

Also took some pictures of the tire carrier. In those you can see that the difference the -12 offset makes. I think a +12 offset (about 3.5" backspace on a 9" rim) would be ideal with this size tire and you wouldn't need the Hi-Top fender flares. That or go with a 2" lift.

+39KewzCSq6oQb74J5MG8w.jpg
PjUM4CJgQtC1KJtgKHWpeQ.jpg
xproiDdVS46qG69n7saXgQ.jpg
57ICcLGeTHimKPms03hG3g.jpg
9eUEgPGFREe6DrP2T+Pnlg.jpg
FaB3lmazRcWQyGraJrG%7w.jpg
H35cuebFTf2SggDDOWhD8w.jpg
kSZ9uwGxSyeyrqn3yzdjvQ.jpg
3PqakecuQ5KX5cN5%awkVQ.jpg
I am going for 17x8 et10 with 285/70-17... would this be any issues? Also are you planning to extend the tailgate bump stops for more supports to the spare?

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
34" should fit on the stock mount. If you have a tire with different offset than stock you may need to put large rubber bumpers on.

I also ended up putting the tailgate reinforcement kit on but I really don't think it was necessary.
Hey man, I had the toyo AT3 285/75/17 with 0 offset / 4.75bs wheels fit on my '21 willys stock tire carrier too. It rubs slightly on the bumper but nothing bad at all... pretty slight. I'm thinking about returning the $360 tire carrier I had purchased since I thought I would really need it. Did you happen to extend those rubber tire bumps that don't touch? I have the same thing, but wondering how necessary it is to fix. My theory is that since it slightly sits on the rear bumper a little, that acts as vibration dampening and even some support. My tire/wheel combo is at about 85 lbs.
Sponsored