Sponsored

GAIA maps is a lifesaver!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
:giggle:
Ah, a fellow old fart, huh? When I was a kid, the saying was "don't trust anyone over 30". Now it's more like "don't trust anything electronic".:CWL:
I even carry a compass in my backpack in case it all goes wrong

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
For those of you running a tablet in your rig specifically for GAIA.

What tablet are you running?
What mount are you running?
iPad with a ram mount iPad holder. I rigged a way to attach it to my passenger grab bar

8F1831AC-9D51-414B-B319-1F736AB01D3E.jpeg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

gwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Now everyone has me intrigued, but I'm not a big subscription fan. Wish apps like this, had a one time upgrade fee.
How much are the subscriptions fees for Preminum Member Level? I wish apps would list them.
I have a Gaia Premium membership but mostly only use it for the National Geograpic maps. Otherwise I use the android app US Topo Maps Pro. It had a one time fee of about $10 and has about 20 map sources and includes overlays like the weather. I have been using it for about 7 years with only the small initial cost.

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a Gaia Premium membership but mostly only use it for the National Geograpic maps. Otherwise I use the android app US Topo Maps Pro. It had a one time fee of about $10 and has about 20 map sources and includes overlays like the weather. I have been using it for about 7 years with only the small initial cost.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
When I think about Electronic Maps, Navigation, I remember the Star Wars movie, they were looking for a planet that had been removed from the database..
Paper, and words that stay...
Agreed . . . until these guys show up! :devil:
Oskar-Werner-Fahrenheit-451-Cyril-Cusack-Francois.jpg

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am just using a Samsung Galaxy S5E. I am pretty sure most tablets can run it, you just need to make sure you have enough memory to d/l the map data and has the built in GPS so it continues to work offline. I use a Ram mount to hold the tablet, and 67 Designs for the mount and arms.

rps20200215_085651.jpg

rps20200215_085610.jpg

rps20200215_085525.jpg
I also use this setup with a iPad

Sponsored

OP
OP
ania.manning

ania.manning

First Name
Ania
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
All trails is a nice resource, however you will drive past literally hundreds of miles of trails you will see on Gaia to get to one listed on alltrails.
That's so true!

OP
OP
ania.manning

ania.manning

First Name
Ania
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
iPad with a ram mount iPad holder. I rigged a way to attach it to my passenger grab bar

8F1831AC-9D51-414B-B319-1F736AB01D3E.jpeg
Same here. I like the Ram Mounts options. I initially tried to use an old iPad Air I’ve had for years but it doesn’t have GPS, which was news to me. Luckily we have another old one that does have GPS so I use it. Not sure about newer iPads but the old ones generally don’t have GPS unless they also have a SIM card slot.

There are some cheap-ish (~$100) Android tablets that have GPS. That’s probably what I’d go with if I needed a new one. Don’t like having a newer ipad bouncing around on the trails, getting dusty and possibly wet.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Same here. I like the Ram Mounts options. I initially tried to use an old iPad Air I’ve had for years but it doesn’t have GPS, which was news to me. Luckily we have another old one that does have GPS so I use it. Not sure about newer iPads but the old ones generally don’t have GPS unless they also have a SIM card slot.

There are some cheap-ish (~$100) Android tablets that have GPS. That’s probably what I’d go with if I needed a new one. Don’t like having a newer ipad bouncing around on the trails, getting dusty and possibly wet.
Mine is a older ipad too and doesn't have GPS. I bought a GPS antenna off amazon and paired it via bluetooth and now all mapping software works.
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Multipurpose-Augmentation/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_3

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a iPad mini 4 and also started with a Dual Electronincs XGPS150A on amazon .

Now I Bluetooth the tablet to a Garmin in reach Explorer plus satellite communicator. Both works well. I would also use the Garmin in reach mini if I haven't already bought the larger one.

The beta version of Gaia on iPhone works with carplay. you can follow your route and see the map, however it does not have all the functionality that the tablet has. That said, you can do everything on your phone or tablet, it just looks different on the carplay screen.
Sponsored