Sponsored

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep?

Would you let your 16 year old have a Jeep for their first vehicle?

• Total voters

ForceFed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK 2-door, JLUR
We ended up getting a Subaru Crosstrek for our daughter to use. We wanted something AWD, but safer and more efficient than a Jeep. My son has been using it since my daughter went to college. He does want my wife's JK (knows there is no way he is getting the JL).
Sponsored

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
My daughter saved up money for her first car. She wanted a Jeep, but we couldnt find anything in her price range that wasn't smashed or had bad rot. I would have been fine with her having a Jeep as her first car.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Did it for all my kids and will do the same for the grandkids in a few years. And all manuals (if they still exist)

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I would've loved to have a choice in a car when I was 17. I got what I got and dealt with it, and was happy to have wheels. I had a choice in the first car I bought myself.

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Heck yes! My daughter has a 2003 TJ as first vehicle. Learned to drive it and in my ‘18. Took her drivers test in it which was great for maneuverability! She loves it.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Unless I win the lottery my kids car is sub $2,000 just like mine when I bought my first one there's no handouts in my family you earn the money you can buy what you want

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
I think the car you give your kids at 16 has nothing to do with spoiling them.
What matters is how you raised them during those 16 years, the values you"ve tought them.
My daughter's dream car when she was in high school was a mustang.
We got her one when she turned 16.
10 years later, she is in 3rd year of med school, commissioned in the air force and nominated for her school's Humanism Honor Society. She has two rescued dogs, and fosters puppies for her local shelter.
Exactly! I see I lot of effed up parenting philosophies here, but to each there own. My daughter has a 2018 JL Sahara that I got in mid-2019 and got a great deal on. Would have made absolutely no sense to buy a used Jeep for a little less money. Plus, she’s a very responsible young lady, active athlete, heavily involved in a competitive robotics team. I’m very proud of her, and wouldn’t call her spoiled or entitled. She takes excellent care of it, and is slowly learning to do things to it.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I have seen a bunch of very young kids driving Jeeps. Not sure how I would feel about my kids having a Jeep as their first vehicle the more I think about it.

if the teenager is responsible and a good kid definitely YES

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Friend of mine just purchased a new JL for herself and gave her old JK to her 16-year old daughter. That’s what old Jeeps are for.......

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I dated a girl who I cared for very deeply that was thrown from a jeep in high school. Though she recovered, she had many lasting results from the crash. Alcohol, top off the jeep and high schoolers doing dumb shit is a bad combination.

Though any car can have a life ending result, her story was one that will keep my kids from ever seeing that option for their first vehicle.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I had a cjj 7 lifted 7 inches with 38s at 17 which I paid for myself. I was fortunate not to die or be injured badly.
Doors off not wearing seat belts and loaded with a friend and 2 girls showing off.
I wasn't mature enough for it.

20191017_225350.jpg

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I gave my twin daughters a new JK (to share) when they first got their licenses. We lived at 8,200' in Colorado (little town named Evergreen) and a Sport S was a good vehicle for the area.
Sponsored