Sponsored

How Simple is it to back out of custom order?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I purchased a Custom Order from the dealer LOT.

it seems like someone Custom Ordered this 2020 Jeep, and, when it arrived, decided against it........ I don’t know why....

His/her loss is my gain. Perfect Jeep for me..... no dealer in Houston stocks a loaded Rubicon with painted fenders but black top (they all want to stock the painted top so thah can add more $ to the sticker)... exactly what I wanted.... so, I got it from the LOT, saved wait time on a custom order and still got exactly what I wanted.....

so..... CAN a custom order be “cancelled?” Yes. If you wish to cancel, do so. Somebody else will buy your perfect Jeep.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The ordering dealer has been giving you the run- around, sounds suspicious. Maybe it was sold, or lost, doesn't sound like it's actually at the dealer. Your Vacation is coming up fast, if ordering dealer doesn't have proof it's on his lot, as you speak, go for the closer one.
He failed to deliver, your deposit "should" be returned, no hassle

herabera

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stretched 1997 TJ on 37's. 2017 Lincoln MKX 2.7T. 2011 RAM Cargo van,
A fee years ago I cancelled a custom ordered vehicle. I will say it was somewhat unique...anyway long story short it too so long to be delivered (7 months) that I changed my mind. However I did loose my 2g deposit. And they still border line harassed me (actually they threatened me with legal action but nothing came of it (other than loosing my deposit).

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have to agree with all the post here. so it's really your call on this. if it was me, i would call the dealer and say that i understand the delay due to weather, etc. but its taking too long and i'm giving you till march 1st to have the jeep here. if not i'm backing out of this deal. since you didn't sign anything or leave a deposit. if they give you a song and dance, then back out of it now. then i would go to the other dealer and really look at the jl that is waiting for a home. i bet that you can talk yourself into liking that one verse to order one. i think you will be happier with the v6 vs the 4. imho the v6 and 8 spd auto is the best combo for the jl. .

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The weather around here hasn’t been that severe to delay a vehicle delivery by SIX weeks.

Besides, almost everyone is getting their factory orders within four weeks.

Sounds to me the dealer sold your factory order and is trying to make time for another one to arrive.

I’d tell them you waited long enough, ask for a full refund, and go get that other one nearby.

Let us know what you do.

Good luck!

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I was actually worried that they might of sold it to someone else and just ordered me another but I had the other dealership run the vin for me. The dealership reported it sold to me to Chrysler on Jan 17, I guess to meet their January quota. They claim to have been calling and emailing all day trying to get it out of the lot it is at, I do believe them since they guranteed a price for my trade in, and the longer they wait the more my truck will depreciate. It doesn’t benefit them not having it come in. I’m going to give them another 10 days or so before I think about canceling.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The beginning of March is two weeks away. Apply pressure and wait. Go to the dealership and light a fire. They can send someone to get it if properly motivated. Get what you want. You will hate yourself if you take another jeep that is not exactly what you want for years. Two weeks is nothing in the bigger story of life.

Now get down to that dealership and get under someones skin so that action is taken.
As a Sales Consultant that has had a customers rig stuck in transit I wanted to chime in to let you know that they likely cannot just "Send someone to get it". The transport companies are independent of both the dealership and Chrysler. They have very strict rules about there cargo and they have the ultimate say on what vehicles get sent out when. I had a customers van stuck just 30 minutes away at a train yard and it sat there for 3 weeks. It got so ridiculous the local news got involved trying to help this woman get her van. Our hands were tied, all we could do is let the transport company know it was a sold unit and we wanted it to have priority but we can't force them to send it and we can't get it.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was actually worried that they might of sold it to someone else and just ordered me another but I had the other dealership run the vin for me. The dealership reported it sold to me to Chrysler on Jan 17, I guess to meet their January quota. They claim to have been calling and emailing all day trying to get it out of the lot it is at, I do believe them since they guaranteed a price for my trade in, and the longer they wait the more my truck will depreciate. It doesn’t benefit them not having it come in. I’m going to give them another 10 days or so before I think about canceling.
So they reported it sold on January 17th but you haven't paid for it or signed any contract? That is slightly shady and I would ask them about this. They aren't supposed to report it sold until they have a cash-able contract. If it was reported sold that means the clock on your warranty would have started that day so you are already a month into your available warranty now. Now if you signed up for it and paid for it already that would make sense but otherwise that is weird to say the least and I would ask them how you are being compensated for your lost warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So they reported it sold on January 17th but you haven't paid for it or signed any contract? That is slightly shady and I would ask them about this. They aren't supposed to report it sold until they have a cash-able contract. If it was reported sold that means the clock on your warranty would have started that day so you are already a month into your available warranty now. Now if you signed up for it and paid for it already that would make sense but otherwise that is weird to say the least and I would ask them how you are being compensated for your lost warranty.

Your first post is what is happening I believe. Which is annoying because there is no way of knowing when it will arrive.

Correct I haven’t paid or signed anything other than giving a deposit. I did ask them about it being sold to me on Jan 17, they said Chrysler asked them to report it like that and that all dates will be adjusted once I take delivery. We will see how it plays out, will make sure to have it all on paper and signed by everyone.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah so I talked to my Sales Manager about this and that is both false and possibly illegal. Let me clear up that they can not change that purchase date and that Chrysler would never ask them to NVDR or report a sale on a vehicle that is not sold. If Chrysler knew they did that they would likely end up punishing the dealership in some way. As for you the only two options I would except is to either get an extended warranty from the dealership for free for eating up your time or get your deposit back and move on. They cannot keep your deposit and at this point if they ever suggested they wouldn't give it back one mention of you going to Chrysler to complain about this whole thing should put them in their place. Good luck with everything, I hope it works out. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, not how a CDJR dealership should be behaving.

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah so I talked to my Sales Manager about this and that is both false and possibly illegal. Let me clear up that they can not change that purchase date and that Chrysler would never ask them to NVDR or report a sale on a vehicle that is not sold. If Chrysler knew they did that they would likely end up punishing the dealership in some way. As for you the only two options I would except is to either get an extended warranty from the dealership for free for eating up your time or get your deposit back and move on. They cannot keep your deposit and at this point if they ever suggested they wouldn't give it back one mention of you going to Chrysler to complain about this whole thing should put them in their place. Good luck with everything, I hope it works out. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, not how a CDJR dealership should be behaving.
I appreciate the feedback. Is there anything I can send them showing them that the date can’t be changed? Any link or something of proof that I have to back me when I tell them this. Obviously they will just keep giving me the run around so if I have proof might be easier to deal with it.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the feedback. Is there anything I can send them showing them that the date can’t be changed? Any link or something of proof that I have to back me when I tell them this. Obviously they will just keep giving me the run around so if I have proof might be easier to deal with it.
Well technically they can fix it but to do that they have to "unwind" the deal. So the deal was done for Jan 17th. If that deal was needed for them to hit their numbers they wouldn't want to unwind it because that would cost them a lot of money. If it wasn't needed or if they didn't hit their numbers then they probably would. If they unwind the deal it will no long show as sold and then they could re-do the deal with the new date. That is the only way to fix this. Having said that though the whole thing is shady. I understand you wanting your vehicle and you may just end up getting it regardless but I wouldn't work with them again. Gives CDJR a bad name. As a sales consultant it frustrates me to see this.

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well technically they can fix it but to do that they have to "unwind" the deal. So the deal was done for Jan 17th. If that deal was needed for them to hit their numbers they wouldn't want to unwind it because that would cost them a lot of money. If it wasn't needed or if they didn't hit their numbers then they probably would. If they unwind the deal it will no long show as sold and then they could re-do the deal with the new date. That is the only way to fix this. Having said that though the whole thing is shady. I understand you wanting your vehicle and you may just end up getting it regardless but I wouldn't work with them again. Gives CDJR a bad name. As a sales consultant it frustrates me to see this.

Ahhh gotcha. Well I’ll see what they end up doing. If it shows up this upcoming week I’ll take it and try to work out the warranty stuff but if I knew for sure it’s going to be longer I would definitely try to get my deposit back and move on. I appreciate the help!
Sponsored