Sponsored

Dealer can’t fix a clicking noise after 3 visits

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
I have a 2019 JL Sport S. There is a clicking noise coming from the front wheels when ever the wheel is turned either direction. It happens going forward as well as in reverse. I took it in back in September to get it looked at as well as a recall. They had it for a little over a week and when I got it back the noise was still there. They replaced the right front wheel hub that time. I took it back the following week, I think it was the first week of October. They had it for 2 weeks this time and said it is the right front axle but it is on back order. After 3 months and regular emails with the advisor the part was still not there. I contacted FCA and magically the part arrived that day. I dropped off the Jeep for the 3rd time now, they had it for 5 days and said that the noise is fixed. When I picked it up, I could not hear the clicking. Then after 2 days, I heard the clicking again. It clicks repeatedly as you turn the steering wheel either way while going forward or in reverse. What should I do now? Should I bring it back the 4th time? Should I take it in to a different dealership? Should I call Jeep Cares back and complain? What would you do at this point?
Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
If they’re willing to keep working on it, take it back to the dealership until they fix it or shrug their shoulders.

Just realize how lucky you are to have a service department willing to even attempt a repair rather than throwing a “operates as designed” at you.

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
I have a 2019 JL Sport S. There is a clicking noise coming from the front wheels when ever the wheel is turned either direction. It happens going forward as well as in reverse. I took it in back in September to get it looked at as well as a recall. They had it for a little over a week and when I got it back the noise was still there. They replaced the right front wheel hub that time. I took it back the following week, I think it was the first week of October. They had it for 2 weeks this time and said it is the right front axle but it is on back order. After 3 months and regular emails with the advisor the part was still not there. I contacted FCA and magically the part arrived that day. I dropped off the Jeep for the 3rd time now, they had it for 5 days and said that the noise is fixed. When I picked it up, I could not hear the clicking. Then after 2 days, I heard the clicking again. It clicks repeatedly as you turn the steering wheel either way while going forward or in reverse. What should I do now? Should I bring it back the 4th time? Should I take it in to a different dealership? Should I call Jeep Cares back and complain? What would you do at this point?

Get your ball joints torqued.

OP
OP
kacper244

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they’re willing to keep working on it, take it back to the dealership until they fix it or shrug their shoulders.

Just realize how lucky you are to have a service department willing to even attempt a repair rather than throwing a “operates as designed” at you.
It definitely does not "operates as designed". They had me drive the Jeep with one of their technicians twice and he said that it is definitely not normal. I had my coworkers come up to me as I was parking at work and ask me what is that clicking noise lol. It is just frustrating to bring it back the 4th time now!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I would be careful that they are not trying to limp you past the warranty with band-aid repairs. I would suggest another dealer just to get a second opinion. The dealer in my area is notoriously bad and that seems to be one of their tactics to avoid large costly repairs. If they feed you a line that doesn't sound right then it probably isn't.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
strap a gpro somewhere and take a ride

OP
OP
kacper244

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be careful that they are not trying to limp you past the warranty with band-aid repairs. I would suggest another dealer just to get a second opinion. The dealer in my area is notoriously bad and that seems to be one of their tactics to avoid large costly repairs. If they feed you a line that doesn't sound right then it probably isn't.
I just got the Jeep a little over a year ago, so I don’t think that they would be doing that with 2 years left of the original warranty. I have a appointment scheduled for tomorrow, so if they do not fix it this 4th time I’m really going to be unhappy. Everyone at work is telling me to open a lemon law case and come to an agreement with them to replace the Jeep with a new one.

Gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the Jeep a little over a year ago, so I don’t think that they would be doing that with 2 years left of the original warranty. I have a appointment scheduled for tomorrow, so if they do not fix it this 4th time I’m really going to be unhappy. Everyone at work is telling me to open a lemon law case and come to an agreement with them to replace the Jeep with a new one.
https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/sta...nty-federal-trade-commission-improvements-act

Some light reading for you. My Jeep was just over a year when I began to notice issues like the repeated repair of the violent shaking caused by the "death wobble". Failed frame members due to flaws somewhere in the manufacturing process(not just the poor welds). I also have noticed many "band-aid" repairs on my wife's Dodge Journey that never actually fixed any underlying problems. I hope it is not the case with your service center but those tactics have cost us thousands of dollars on our vehicles not to mention the current problem I am having that they refuse to address after lying to avoid a warranty job. We have caught our service center in several lies recently. I would just be skeptical of repeat unresolved issues. If you are having this many issues without mods then I would be careful that they use any mods as an excuse to void your warranty. I love my Jeep but the problems with the service and the dishonesty have practically made it not worth owning. The Gladiator we are looking at for my wife will likely be something else built by someone else for this reason.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Get it checked by a real mechanic. Then either pay the real mechanic for the repair, or go to the dealer and tell them what the problem is and to fix it under warranty. Unfortunately, most mechanics at Chrysler dealers are not real mechanics. You want to get the real issue on record while you are still under warranty, in case you run into bigger problems in the future.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The dealer still gets paid for warranty work. They submit the warranty claim and the work done and get paid. The only reason they are doing a bad job is because they are truly incompetent.

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The only reason they are doing a bad job is because they are truly incompetent.
This!!! 100% this! Almost worth it to pay a legit shop. Some of the best technicians out there work for themselves or mom n pop owned service stations

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Take it to a different dealer. A dealer had my Jeep for 6 weeks in a row and didn't manage to fix a thing. I had slightly better service at a different dealer.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Take it to a different dealer. A dealer had my Jeep for 6 weeks in a row and didn't manage to fix a thing. I had slightly better service at a different dealer.
This is crazy. A new vehicle 6 weeks in the shop to get repaired. This story is too common, backorders, technicians incompetence, etc... The whole service part of owning a Jeep is terrible right now. So bad, I pray nothing happens to my Jeep that would need to be taken to the dealer. I mean seriously, anything more than 3 days of warranty work should raise eyebrows.

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I had a clicking noise in my Jeep that I didn’t develop until about a week or two into owning it. It happened whenever I turned the steering wheel. It sounded like it was coming from my front wheels, not my steering wheel. Turns out it was coming from a tag that was not properly removed from the steering wheel during the delivery inspection. So every time I was turning the steering wheel, the tag that was not properly removed, was making a clicking noise inside of it.
Sponsored