Scooter2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport / 2022 F250 / 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if related but seen a couple people question if it just a 2018 problem. This a 2019 wrangler that sounds oddly close to all the other ones I’ve found. I’ve been able to find over a dozen of these happen so far...
Thanks
Jay
I see the incident happened in 2019, and they took possession in 2019, but not that it was a 2019 model.

Waiting anxiously for the cause to be determined. I would throw a Centerforce in tomorrow if I thought it would prevent this from happening (and it would be a good excuse).
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at it, I wonder if the pressure plate and or clutch disk fails catastrophically. Causing it to rupture a fuel line?
i agree with you Monkeynono, the damage seems to be very close to the engine where the clutch is. The transmission is steel shafts, steel gears, brass synchronizers and Automatic Transmission Fluid thats not really flammable. (Yes the modern manual trans use ATF). I too buy into a fuel line being ruptured to get that kind of a fire. Although I'd imagine something seizing would get real hot.

OP
OP
DuramaxJack3d

DuramaxJack3d

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ocean Blue, 1989 Jeep Comanche 1ton, 1971 M35A2 Bobbed 46s, 2008 Buell Xb12R, 2017 KLR650, 1976 KZ900 Ltd
Hi DuramaxJack3d,
We unfortunately have not received any private messages from you on this forum. Please message me with your VIN so that I can look into this further for you.

Kathryn
JeepCares
hello Kathryn,
Thank you for getting in touch with me, I’m sorry I didn’t send you a message before you had to comment. I was unaware that Jeep Cares had an official profile here, my apologies. I did send you a private message earlier (approx 6 hours ago) and just wanted to check in that you received it as I didn’t get any confirmation or response as of yet.
Thanks Again
Jay

OP
OP
DuramaxJack3d

DuramaxJack3d

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ocean Blue, 1989 Jeep Comanche 1ton, 1971 M35A2 Bobbed 46s, 2008 Buell Xb12R, 2017 KLR650, 1976 KZ900 Ltd
I see the incident happened in 2019, and they took possession in 2019, but not that it was a 2019 model.

Waiting anxiously for the cause to be determined. I would throw a Centerforce in tomorrow if I thought it would prevent this from happening (and it would be a good excuse).
Thank you for your response, I did see that it happened in early 2019 but I found it under the 2019 wrangler complaints at NHTSA. They go off the VIN # which makes me believe it’s a 2019.
Thanks
Jay

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Man that really sucks. There is definitely a common theme between all the ones that caught fire. Sounds like the shrapnel from the transmission cut fuel lines. If I had a 6mt I'd be looking at making my own custom fuel line skid plate for the time being to put my mind at ease. Can't hurt, right?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
For the clutch to come flying out like this, without the flywheel seems like all the pressure plate to flywheel attach bolts would have to fail all at once. Far fetched scenario. Maybe a more likely event would be the cast iron flywheels have casting flaws that lead to failure. and the whole thing come apart? If I had a manual transmission Jeep, I'd be worried about the failure coming thru the floor and cutting off my feet. There have been accidents like this in drag racing that resulted in the development of "scatter shield" bell housings.

If your insurance isn't paying up, your beef is with your insurance company, not FCA. Get a lawyer and go after the insurance company. Forget about FCA.

Just a guess, FCA has pending legal actions against them on this type of event and that would mean any similar reports would get zero communication.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OP said his insurance is handling it, just not his mods.

Terrible occurrence to be sure, but nothing that this 6sp owner is going to lose sleep over. 30,000 trouble free miles on my ‘18, and how many thousands of these on the road?

Let’s see if a pattern emerges before we panic.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Terrible occurrence to be sure, but nothing that this 6sp owner is going to lose sleep over. 30,000 trouble free miles on my ‘18, and how many thousands of these on the road?

Sorry, I missed that part where it was just the mods that weren't getting coverage. As for a pattern, it seems like this thread had enough citations of other similar events that a pattern is established. Now it just gets down to probability of it happening again, and more specifically, happening to you. I'm comfortable with it being a very low probability. I have an auto trans, but if I ride in a JL manual trans, I'll pull my feet back. LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
DuramaxJack3d

DuramaxJack3d

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thank you for saying this, I don’t want anyone panicking or not feel comfortable in their Jeep. As a Jeep enthusiast myself, I bought a Jeep to make new memories and explore new places with my family. The point of this post was to share my experience and try to get some back and forth communication established with Jeep. So for anyone that is worried or panicking I apologize as that was not my intent. At the same time I think that theirs been enough similar cases that at least warrant people to be aware of a potential problem.
Thanks
Jay

OP
OP
DuramaxJack3d

DuramaxJack3d

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
For the clutch to come flying out like this, without the flywheel seems like all the pressure plate to flywheel attach bolts would have to fail all at once. Far fetched scenario. Maybe a more likely event would be the cast iron flywheels have casting flaws that lead to failure. and the whole thing come apart? If I had a manual transmission Jeep, I'd be worried about the failure coming thru the floor and cutting off my feet. There have been accidents like this in drag racing that resulted in the development of "scatter shield" bell housings.

If your insurance isn't paying up, your beef is with your insurance company, not FCA. Get a lawyer and go after the insurance company. Forget about FCA.

Just a guess, FCA has pending legal actions against them on this type of event and that would mean any similar reports would get zero communication.
I concur, if there is pending legal action you would be lucky to even get a reply to your emails....Their attorneys are advising them not to discuss or acknowledge future issues as to is discoverable in court and could be used against them. I know from your perspective it isn't right regarding this, but legally they must protect themselves....Glad your family is OK, that is the most important thing.

OP
OP
DuramaxJack3d

DuramaxJack3d

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still no word from @JeepCares or the FCA, I have been in touch with a gentleman who has gone through the exact same scenario as me taking place approx 2 months before mine. So it’s been nice to be able to have someone to communicate with. @JeepCares responds by telling me “Another Department” is handling it. That they have NO way of reaching that “Other Department” other than leaving a note on my case for them to answer some of my concerns (which they have never responded). They tell me they don’t even have a telephone number for the “Other Department”. To top it off they won’t even tell me the name of the “Other Department” I had one lady tell me and I joke you not, that it’s super duper upper level..... yea. What is most terrifying above all that, is this gentleman describes going through the same. He didn’t reach out or let a lot of people know because he thought it was a fluke. He had shrapnel (input shaft come through his floor board!
Jeep denied his claim

EE0C358D-EB16-4B78-8BFC-33C00EC741EE.jpeg
Sponsored