Sponsored

Transmission Reprogram for 2.0T?

OrangeWave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I own both a 3.6L Rubicon with the Mopar lift and 37s and a stock 2.0T Rubicon. While I think the 2.0T is a better engine as far as torque and overall "snappiness" it is much slower to downshift than the 3.6 and quicker to upshift. I end up having to put the 2.0T in manual mode if I'm in traffic where I might need to quickly accelerate without waiting for the 2 or 3 gear downshift to happen.

So, does anyone make a reprogrammer for the 2.0T to make the transmissions quicker to downshift and hold a lower gear longer?
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Curious about this as well, because I feel the same way. My wife has an '18 Sport S Unlimited with the 3.6, and I have an '18 2.0T Sport and noticed that the transmission in hers will hold a gear longer and downshift quicker.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Check with Superchips, I dont have one for my JLR Turbo but I did have one for my old JK 3.6L and it allows you to customize the auto shift points. I assume they would keep this feature for the new tuners...

Last edited:

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Look up Pedal Commander or similar throttle controller. They remap the throttle response as you depress the throttle to make it more responsive to your input. Very adjustable, and will make a noticable difference on quickness to down shift on the auto transmission. I have the Hike It brand and am very happy with it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'm with Swagger on this one. I've got the 2.0 and a few months ago I installed the EVC iDrive throttle controller. It removes the delayed response between the throttle pedal input and the opening of the throttle body butterfly valve. Also, the sensitivity can be adjusted to suit the driver and the driving conditions. Meaning, wide open throttle can be achieved with as little of 20-25% of the total pedal travel. My particular unit includes Ultimate (sport) and Eco modes. I daily drive in U2, which is the 2nd level up out of 9 total in Ultimate. But for offroad, when bouncing around and not wanting a hair trigger throttle response, I can switch on the fly to Eco mode and have a smoother and more forgiving feel to it.

I highly recommend it as a worthy upgrade. Heres a pic of mine, taken from my pov in a normal driving position. And another closer in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Transmission Reprogram for 2.0T? 20210107_130018
Jeep Wrangler JL Transmission Reprogram for 2.0T? 20210107_130059

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yeah, it doesnt change the transmision shift points, but the effect is the same. The Jeep engineers may have detuned the drive by wire throttle response on the 2.0 vs the 3.6 to get a smoother throttle response, to the detriment of not downshifting as quick with the same amount of throttle pressure. Works with the auto trans better than the manual trans for this reason. The aftermarket throttle controllers allow you to adjust the throttle to your own liking.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it doesnt change the transmision shift points, but the effect is the same. The Jeep engineers may have detuned the drive by wire throttle response on the 2.0 vs the 3.6 to get a smoother throttle response, to the detriment of not downshifting as quick with the same amount of throttle pressure. Works with the auto trans better than the manual trans for this reason. The aftermarket throttle controllers allow you to adjust the throttle to your own liking.
I'm thinking that the softer throttle response is yet another stupid proofing for the masses. All vehicles have become faster and more powerful, so it helps prevent your average person from having a herky jerky ride as a result of their inability to control themselves. Same reason for not being able to use the rear locker in 2 and 4hi, or the auto park feature. The general public can't even be trusted to not run themselves over. Lol
Sponsored