First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Wondering where its mounted in the pictures?
Directly to the right of the window switches, above the locker switch in a Rubicon. In the place where the cigarette lighter or 12v outlet currently lives.

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I may wait on installing my Redarc controller and wait for more info on the Mopar one.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Mopar unit is not currently scheduled to ship until May 2020. The way things are at FCA, this will probably get pushed back again. So if you're going to wait on the Mopar unit, don't hold your breath.

Also, one of two things are true with the Mopar unit:

- It'll plug into the 4-pin connection under the dash just like every other aftermarket unit currently sold, which means it'll have exactly the same functionality as every aftermarket unit currently sold, but it'll delete the very useful 12V outlet in the process. Which means the Mopar isn't worth buying.

-It'll plug into a data connection behind the dash that we don't know about yet, which means it'll have far more functionality than an aftermarket controller, but this also means it'll require dealer installation and programming. Total cost would then likely be in the $500 range. Which means the Mopar isn't worth buying.

I finally got tired of it and installed the Redarc unit and I'm very happy.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Directly to the right of the window switches, above the locker switch in a Rubicon. In the place where the cigarette lighter or 12v outlet currently lives.
Ooohhh great spot for it!

...fwiw my 12v is to the left of window switches

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The Mopar unit is not currently scheduled to ship until May 2020. The way things are at FCA, this will probably get pushed back again. So if you're going to wait on the Mopar unit, don't hold your breath.

- It'll plug into the 4-pin connection under the dash just like every other aftermarket unit currently sold, which means it'll have exactly the same functionality as every aftermarket unit currently sold, but it'll delete the very useful 12V outlet in the process. Which means the Mopar isn't worth buying.

-It'll plug into a data connection behind the dash that we don't know about yet, which means it'll have far more functionality than an aftermarket controller, but this also means it'll require dealer installation and programming. Total cost would then likely be in the $500 range. Which means the Mopar isn't worth buying.

For those who have the factory tow package, I doubt there will be any flashing needed.

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I got the redarc elite and 3024 harness, swapping the black and blue wires so you can do manual trailer braking without messing up anything or getting Xmas lights on the dash.

Seems to work well. The switch is on the panel below the steering, bottom right, and I am using the redarc switch insert for a clean install look. I tried installing without the insert and it didn’t look great.

Easy install as I just pulled the whole panel off, drilled, replaced. Plenty of room on the backside in that corner next to the clip.
image.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
For those who have the factory tow package, I doubt there will be any flashing needed.
I have the factory Max Tow package on my JT, and there are NO screens or information of any kind regarding towing in the dash menu. The menus are identical to the ones on my non-tow package JLU. So, I think IF the Mopar unit ends up using a data connection to enable added functionality, it'll require dealer programming for everyone.

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport

Loss of the 12v outlet is a bummer, I could relocate but then same amount of work as Redarc. Not shipping until May (more likely July, 15 years as Chrysler tech), a deal breaker. Pick up new camper in March.

Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Loss of the 12v outlet is a bummer, I could relocate but then same amount of work as Redarc. Not shipping until May (more likely July, 15 years as Chrysler tech), a deal breaker. Pick up new camper in March.
Do you have the factory tow? Why not go with the 3024 harness with the diode and swap the wires ?

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Why wouldn't FCA have it avail as soon as the Jeeps are available?! Bummer.

Bought my Jeep july 2018...2+ years for a factory brake controller? Especially Jeep coming pre-wired for one...Boo

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I have the factory Max Tow package on my JT, and there are NO screens or information of any kind regarding towing in the dash menu. The menus are identical to the ones on my non-tow package JLU. So, I think IF the Mopar unit ends up using a data connection to enable added functionality, it'll require dealer programming for everyone.
What kind of info would you expect to find? The towing package already has a 4 pin connector and a 7-way connector and a brake controller unit typically houses all the other hardware needed. When adding the MOPAR tow harness to a non-factory Jeep, you need to get it flashed to activate the vehicle stability control. I would assume the MOPAR unit would work the same as a 3rd party unit but with a factory look.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
What kind of info would you expect to find? The towing package already has a 4 pin connector and a 7-way connector and a brake controller unit typically houses all the other hardware needed. When adding the MOPAR tow harness to a non-factory Jeep, you need to get it flashed to activate the vehicle stability control. I would assume the MOPAR unit would work the same as a 3rd party unit but with a factory look.
On most other trucks I've owned with factory brake controllers, there's a towing screen in the dash menu that does cool things like provide memory for different trailers and gain settings, track trailer mileage, alert you to issues with trailer brakes/lights, etc. etc. There are a lot of neat and helpful options while towing right there from the dash. Of course, this all depends on HOW they connect this Mopar unit to the truck's CAN-BUS wiring, which is what I was trying to say in post #94 above ^^.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
On most other trucks I've owned with factory brake controllers, there's a towing screen in the dash menu that does cool things like provide memory for different trailers and gain settings, track trailer mileage, alert you to issues with trailer brakes/lights, etc. etc. There are a lot of neat and helpful options while towing right there from the dash. Of course, this all depends on HOW they connect this Mopar unit to the truck's CAN-BUS wiring, which is what I was trying to say in post #94 above ^^.
I hear ya but unless they are offering this as an option to future Jeeps, it's not really a factory option, right?
Sponsored