Johns19Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hello Everyone,
With all the talk about wandering steering and the numb response in the steering wheel It's my understanding the stock stabilizer is much of the cause. My rig is a 2019 JL Rubicon, stock. I see a host of stabilizers on the market varying in price. Most say they will fit stock suspensions. However, I am reading that the thru-rod style is the best one because it allows for a neutral centering of the steering. What are you guys running? I see a Teraflex unit that looks decent. Thoughts??

Thanks!
John
Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
just get the cheapest stabilizer you can find, it really isnt the fix for anything, just helps out a lil with bump steer.

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
If you have a recall, get the stabilizer replaced by the dealership. I opted for the Fox 2.0 which is ~$150.

For wandering steering, check your tire pressure and lower it if you're over 40 PSI.

Sponsored

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Steering Stabilizer will not fix wandering.

What it does do is help to alleviate bump steer and also tighten up your steering wheel depending on which model you buy.

Teraflex is great and gives you 3 firmness setting which is nice. I personally went with Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer as I didn't want to drop the cash for the Teraflex.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
+1 for Teraflex Falcon 2.2 adjustable. Really provide me some additional steering stiffness.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
So why did I get my first death wobble the day after the V41 steering stabilizer was installed? Coincidence?

I suspect that the track bar with the softer bushings combined with the V41 stabilizer may be what is causing my death wobble issue. The stiffness of the new shock may cause some bump steer when the track bar flexes. This was not an issue with my original stabilizer. Also, the updated track bar wasn't applicable to 2-doors for some reason...

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
So why did I get my first death wobble the day after the V41 steering stabilizer was installed? Coincidence?

I suspect that the track bar with the softer bushings combined with the V41 stabilizer may be what is causing my death wobble issue. The stiffness of the new shock may cause some bump steer when the track bar flexes. This was not an issue with my original stabilizer. Also, the updated track bar wasn't applicable to 2-doors for some reason...
but the two dont relate to each other, the stabilizer should be able to be removed and no change should be noticeable till you cross some railroad tracks. the Steering Stabilizer has absolutely no effect on Death Wobble other that to mask it a bit when they are new, but they die very quickly if the culprit is not found and remedied. Check your trac bar welds, look for cracks on both brackets, frame and axle. have someone wrench the steering wheel back n forth while you lay in front and look for movement at your trac bar, tie rod ends, drag link ends and ball joints. if nothing shows significant movement and youve done some kind of lift or bigger tires you most likely need just a lil more castor.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

I'd question if the v41 was installed correctly. I have seen several that have not. Also check torque on all front end fasteners as who knows what the dealership has messed with.

Also it's pretty likely that any aftermarket track-bar will have stiffer bushings over factory. The factory are very very soft.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The stiffness of the new shock may cause some bump steer when the track bar flexes.
jlopes68 and oceanblue2019 are on the right track. Your new steering stabilizer has nothing to do with you experiencing death wobble... Do some research as to what exactly a steering stabilizer does.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm well aware of what a steering stabilizer does, and used to think that it shouldn't have any effect. But it did. My old stabilizer was somehow better than the brand new replacement one. I went 8042 miles without any steering oscillation issues, and within 30 miles of getting it replaced had some death wobble at 45 MPH.

Here's how my Jeep sits right now:
- V41 Stabilizer is installed correctly
- Updated trackbar 68394087AA NOT installed (currently being shipped)
- torque specs are good, will be re-checking during track bar install
- Caster is +6 degrees (Mopar Lift LCAs) everything else stock JLR
- no sign of broken welds, loose linkage, etc.
- Stock wheels & tires @ 33 PSI​

I still think it's important to consider the impact a different stabilizer could have on any oscillation. Removing it completely could possibly make the death wobble occur at a different speed or even go away completely, just the same as making the stabilizer stiffer. From https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2019/08/10/jeep-death-wobble-fix/1969368001/:
Mark Chernoby, chief technical compliance officer for the Italian-American automaker, said the vibration is not unique to Wranglers and can happen with any solid front axle vehicle. The issue is resonance, he said, describing it as equivalent to hitting a tuning fork.

“if you bang it with that frequency it’ll just sit there and keep going forever. It won’t slow down, it won’t dissipate, and that’s essentially what we’re talking about here with the vibration in the new Wrangler,” Chernoby said. "When you hit a bump in the road, if everything is just right, this suspension can set off that resonance and what we started seeing is as soon as it got cold this past fall, early winter, we started seeing complaints."

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'm well aware of what a steering stabilizer does, and used to think that it shouldn't have any effect. But it did. My old stabilizer was somehow better than the brand new replacement one. I went 8042 miles without any steering oscillation issues, and within 30 miles of getting it replaced had some death wobble at 45 MPH.

I still think it's important to consider the impact a different stabilizer could have on any oscillation. Removing it completely could possibly make the death wobble occur at a different speed or even go away completely, just the same as making the stabilizer stiffer. From https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2019/08/10/jeep-death-wobble-fix/1969368001/:
Mark Chernoby, chief technical compliance officer for the Italian-American automaker, said the vibration is not unique to Wranglers and can happen with any solid front axle vehicle. The issue is resonance, he said, describing it as equivalent to hitting a tuning fork.

“if you bang it with that frequency it’ll just sit there and keep going forever. It won’t slow down, it won’t dissipate, and that’s essentially what we’re talking about here with the vibration in the new Wrangler,” Chernoby said. "When you hit a bump in the road, if everything is just right, this suspension can set off that resonance and what we started seeing is as soon as it got cold this past fall, early winter, we started seeing complaints."
I ran my Jeep for about 3 weeks without a steering stabilizer once I "fixed" my steering - to make sure it was fixed. Only once I was happy did I put a SS back on - to bring a stiffer steering feel back to the Jeep.

Without a SS you can feel a lot more of the issues and this leads to being able to diagnose and solve them much easier.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

just a quick question, how did you stop the DW when it occurred?
Sponsored