Synthetic Winch Line repair?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
The other day I was on my way up a snow covered road on my skis. Was the approach to a climb to do a backcountry ski descent.
But, about a few hundred yard up the road there was a JKU that had slid off the packed center of the road and had both driver's side wheels sunk into the snow. Passenger wheels were still on the packed snow, but he wasn't going anywhere. The left side of rear bumper was covered in snow so backing up was not an option and the left side of the frame was sitting on the edge of the packed snow surface.
So I turned around and brought my JL up behind him and pulled him forward with my winch by attaching a snatch block to the tree saver in front of him.

I guess while doing this I wasn't paying attention and they had pulled my line to the end.

Long story, but just last night I went to re-tension the line and found the terminal end of the rope free from the attachment point.

My winch is a Smittybilt with synthetic line. The terminal end is just an aluminum or steel sleeve that is pressed onto the rope and attached to the side of the drum with a screw.

So I'm trying to figure out how to repair this?

Should I get a new sleeve? Or can I bend it and push the line back in and re-crimp it? I assume I don't want to melt the end of the line that goes through the sleeve? Since having it not melted allows it to pull out under less load than what would cause the drum to break?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The other day I was on my way up a snow covered road on my skis. Was the approach to a climb to do a backcountry ski descent.
But, about a few hundred yard up the road there was a JKU that had slid off the packed center of the road and had both driver's side wheels sunk into the snow. Passenger wheels were still on the packed snow, but he wasn't going anywhere. The left side of rear bumper was covered in snow so backing up was not an option and the left side of the frame was sitting on the edge of the packed snow surface.
So I turned around and brought my JL up behind him and pulled him forward with my winch by attaching a snatch block to the tree saver in front of him.

I guess while doing this I wasn't paying attention and they had pulled my line to the end.

Long story, but just last night I went to re-tension the line and found the terminal end of the rope free from the attachment point.

My winch is a Smittybilt with synthetic line. The terminal end is just an aluminum or steel sleeve that is pressed onto the rope and attached to the side of the drum with a screw.

Should I get a new sleeve? Or can I bend it and push the line back in and re-crimp it? I assume I don't want to melt the end of the line that goes through the sleeve? Since having it not melted allows it to pull out under less load than what would cause the drum to break?
You can fix it either way, whichever is easiest for you to do as it’s not structural. The first 5 feet of line on the spool is the weight bearer. Mine has a red sleeve on it so I know when to stop letting out line. As soon as I see the red sleeved part of the rope I stop the drum.

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
You can fix it either way, whichever is easiest for you to do as it’s not structural. The first 5 feet of line on the spool is the weight bearer. Mine has a red sleeve on it so I know when to stop letting out line. As soon as I see the red sleeved part of the rope I stop the drum.
Cool. Thanks! You gave me an idea BTW. I'm going to get some red shrink tube and put it on the rope at just the right spot.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

I’ve never use it yet but I am going to use this when I install my winch. The Grabber from Bubba Rope.
https://www.google.com/search?q=win...oECBAQAg&biw=414&bih=608#imgrc=TzOXkTLWnZ526M
Sponsored