A good review on EcoDiesel Jeep JL - Savage Geese

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Agreed, and I have seen the actual oil filter on a diesel Wrangler up top on the drivers side so what is that?
Maybe one is an engine oil bypass filter? Or maybe in the redesign that other filter location became a new fuel filter location and this is the new engine oil spot?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Maybe one is an engine oil bypass filter? Or maybe in the redesign that other filter location became a new fuel filter location and this is the new engine oil spot?
Fuel filter is further back and under its own skid plate. Engine oil filter is definitely angled off the driver’s side of the engine higher up and the hilariously priced mopar replacement oil filter on their site verifies that it has the reusable plastic housing with hex head seen from engine bay pics. This lower filter is an enigma indeed.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Fuel filter is further back and under its own skid plate. Engine oil filter is definitely angled off the driver’s side of the engine higher up and the hilariously priced mopar replacement oil filter on their site verifies that it has the reusable plastic housing with hex head seen from engine bay pics. This lower filter is an enigma indeed.
Somebody needs to ask one of the folks that took delivery. Has to be in the manual right?

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I find these guys to be brutally honest with a lot of reviews, so it's a little more helpful I think. Here's their latest, and it's about the JL EcoDiesel!
Seemed this EcoBoost vid review was valid as well as their initial JL one. Big issue with diesels is they need to be run hot - current and old ones. We have a buddy who has the current Ram version and he has gone into limp mode requiring hwy regen. So diesels are not particularly good for low engine temp stop and go city miles.

If however you plan to use them for long distance hwy miles they are perfect for that. We have an 85 collector vintage TD Benz that still runs like a top - as virtually every chance we get - we give it a long hot run hwy Italian tune-up.

On this engine at the back of the intake manifold there is a banjo bolt that needs to be regularly cleaned out as it impacts Turbo boost. If the soot is not manually cleaned out - the Benz runs like a slug. Kinda like the current limp mode. Long and short is every engine has compromises - but hopefully the JL 3.0 turns out ok.

Interestingly we find nothing really crappy about the V6 as we often redline it in lower gears getting up to hwy speeds. There is sufficient overall pep up to 70mph. At that point - it is about max speed anyways - due to form drag. Not sure why some look at 10th of a sec 0-60 variances btwn the 3 JL engines. They are all slow anyways.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Aint paying $50k for a jeep... you have to put $10k into the suspension anyway. Another 500lbs over the front axle.

Erbium

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
What do you mean? The diesel includes D44 front and rear even for the sport models including stiffer springs. Would probably cost more than 10k just for those upgrades on a sport without the engine after labor and parts?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean? The diesel includes D44 front and rear even for the sport models including stiffer springs. Would probably cost more than 10k just for those upgrades on a sport without the engine after labor and parts?
The diesel engine weighs 400 lbs more than than 3.6 gas. do YOU want stiffer springs and more weight over the front axle?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Aint paying $50k for a jeep... you have to put $10k into the suspension anyway. Another 500lbs over the front axle.
I'm following you with the $50K price-tag (you are underestimating), and on the weight over the axle, but you've lost me on the $10K in suspension. Please expand on that. And...how did you put the engine on a 100 lb diet so quickly? :)

Sponsored

Wallburger

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 rubicon 2dr
Nice discussion guys. I Have had 1 Sahara and 4 Rubicons since 97. Awaiting my 2020 loaded Rubicon with Diesel. Diesel is the new jeep game changer- like the Rubicon set up in 03. In the future, all real off road jeeps will have diesels, just like the Rubicon option. IMO

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm following you with the $50K price-tag (you are underestimating), and on the weight over the axle, but you've lost me on the $10K in suspension. Please expand on that. And...how did you put the engine on a 100 lb diet so quickly? :)
TFL put the axle numbers up compared to the JT and this nonsense about the majority of the weight increase being on the front axle is just that...DPF, SCR, DEF tank, fuel filter, EGR components and their respective skid plates are almost entirely behind the front axle. The weight distribution of those 400-500lbs is much closer to 50/50 than you think.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
The diesel engine weighs 400 lbs more than than 3.6 gas. ...
No, it doesn't.

A vehicle equipped with a diesel has a total set of components that add up to about 400lb, but that includes a bunch of stuff other than the engine. Ex: a shiny new clean DPF is going to weight around 50lb.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certainly looks like a spin on oil filter.
Here’s an interesting plot twist...I was cleaning under my rig, taking off skid plates and checking frame welds twice over the weekend prepping it for cerakote...I’ve seen no such filter on it. Makes no sense.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Best way to deal with clowns is.to ignore them. By quoting their posts,.you just give them more exposure.
Just ignore them. They will eventually get tired and walk away.
I agree but it is hard not to call a ass an ass when you can.
Sponsored