Sponsored

Adding a dual USB & 12 volt outlet to rear of center console

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
It looks like everyone is running wires to the rear 12V plug to get power? There is not a 12V source in the console already? I plan to pull mine apart this weekend.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like everyone is running wires to the rear 12V plug to get power? There is not a 12V source in the console already? I plan to pull mine apart this weekend.

When I added usb power to the rear of the console last year I had it mostly disassembled only to find that I would have to cut or break the console to separate it in order to access the 12v in that location. I found it MUCH easier (with less 'damage' to the console) to run wire from the rear under the carpet.
Were you able to access the 12v power from your console?
If you found a way to do it, I'd love to see pics and a description!

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
When I added usb power to the rear of the console last year I had it mostly disassembled only to find that I would have to cut or break the console to separate it in order to access the 12v in that location. I found it MUCH easier (with less 'damage' to the console) to run wire from the rear under the carpet.
Were you able to access the 12v power from your console?
If you found a way to do it, I'd love to see pics and a description!
I just ran it to the rear. I was installing the Brawlee light at the same time anyway.

Cards0001

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Jl Sport S
Can I just run the USB port to the auxiliary cluster that comes from the factory?

Sponsored

ron310

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
This may be a dumb question, but....
Could I just cut the white part off and splice in just one USB socket (and not the cigarette lighter socket) or would there be any voltage issue that I am not aware of?

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
I added a dual USB port and a 12 volt outlet to the rear of the center console on my JLU Sport S. I used this from Quadratec on the rear factory 12 volt outlet so I didn't have to cut wires (. https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_9801.htm)

I had two of those on my JKU and figured they would work on the JL. Ran the wiring from the back 12v outlet in cargo area over the driver rear tire well and down under the carpet. Under the rear seats and up under the console from back rear left area passenger front seat. Plenty of space in between the air vent tubes. You need to open the top of center console and remove two hex screws at the top back of console lid. Then you can unsnap the cover over rear of console. My boys can power their gadgets on road trips now.
Do you know if the JL specific one for the front works in the back? Or is it necessary to use the JK version to connect to the rear 12V? I was looking to do exactly this and wanted to make sure I buy the right harness adapter. Thanks!

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Do you know if the JL specific one for the front works in the back? Or is it necessary to use the JK version to connect to the rear 12V? I was looking to do exactly this and wanted to make sure I buy the right harness adapter. Thanks!
The JL specific one works for the front or back outlet. I have one connected to each.

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
The JL specific one works for the front or back outlet. I have one connected to each.
Awesome. That is what I was looking for. I am going to be hooking it up to the Brawlee tailgate light with a rocker switch. Thanks for the input!

Sponsored

4father

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HydroBlue Willys

4father

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HydroBlue Willys
I just got the Adapter and Outlet panel from Amazon and installed using 16AWG Speaker wire. It's been only a week, but no fires yet.

I also switched the rear cargo fuse so that it's only active when the ignition is on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding a dual USB & 12 volt outlet to rear of center console 227635941_636617263909297_2593353098148031030_n

Last edited:

epjst4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
For anyone who has added both a USB and 12v, how did you wire at the harness. Do you have 2 reds and 2 blacks coming out of the single harness port and running to the USB and 12 ports respectively?

I got the USB wired up and running fine, but when I then also wired the 12v the fuse on the harness blew.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4father

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HydroBlue Willys
For anyone who has added both a USB and 12v, how did you wire at the harness. Do you have 2 reds and 2 blacks coming out of the single harness port and running to the USB and 12 ports respectively?

I got the USB wired up and running fine, but when I then also wired the 12v the fuse on the harness blew.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
the outlet panel today I got from Amazon had the wiring pre-configured to go from the usb to 12v (ie power > port 1 > port 2)

if you see the Amazon link for the outlet panel (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0972BDD2Q) there’s a good pic of the wiring diagram

epjst4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I actually got it all wired up today and had no issues. I think I must have crossed the streams and caused the fuse to blow.

Thanks for the link. I was going to go with something similar but it didn't fit horizontally and would have had to go vertically which means the writing on the plus would have been sideways and on and on and on...
Sponsored