First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Has anyone had the entire exterior sprayed with Linex Body Armor? A buddy of mine did his F-250 4 door and it looks pretty good, but I have not seen it on Jeeps very much except for the interior floors. I thought the weight of it would be a lot but the company claims that the F-250 gained about 140 pounds from the exterior spray. I think it would be good protection from trail rash along the doors, etc.. What do you think?
Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
interesting, but what are you protecting after it is sprayed with linex?

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
interesting, but what are you protecting after it is sprayed with linex?
Punctures. Severe abrasions. Denting. Corrosion.

Sometimes the skin of the vehicle is there to protect you, not the other way around. How glossy and flawless the paint finish is isn't the end all be all of protection for a vehicle that actually goes off road.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I've seen it personally on some JKs and I think it looks best with dark colors. You should be able to get it in any color you want.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Aside from my dislike for the appearance, other downsides from my perspective are: expense, weight, repairability. The longterm life of Linex and other similar coatings is also a concern. Every Linex coated thing I've seen that was a couple years old or more had an oxidized flat finish. With black Linex, it looks like charcoal and rubs off on your clothes...ask me how I know.

If economics of protecting the vehicle are the rationale, doing nothing and letting it get scratched up from brush seems to come out ahead and be more marketable when it comes time to sell the vehicle. I think it's a big economic mistake to Linex a vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sporlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Aside from my dislike for the appearance, other downsides from my perspective are: expense, weight, repairability. The longterm life of Linex and other similar coatings is also a concern. Every Linex coated thing I've seen that was a couple years old or more had an oxidized flat finish. With black Linex, it looks like charcoal and rubs off on your clothes...ask me how I know.

If economics of protecting the vehicle are the rationale, doing nothing and letting it get scratched up from brush seems to come out ahead and be more marketable when it comes time to sell the vehicle. I think it's a big economic mistake to Linex a vehicle.
I have had a lot of different vehicles. I keep a black one in Florida. I just think it looks good and something different. I have had several of my F350's beds done. It holds up well and takes a lot of abuse. If it gets damaged I will have them send me some touch up mixture or pay to have it done.

20190823_194522.jpg

68Hawk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E350 4Matic & 430i Xdrive

I did my FJ, roof, hood, side mirrors and bumper caps with Linex in black.
3 years, lasted well and looked perfect at the end. Super happy. I did garage the vehicle which likely helped here in Kansas, especially with the crappy and heavily salted roads.
Maybe I was lucky, but it was a great way to black out the vehicle.

1st%20day%20going%20black_zpsdrz7knfd.jpg

New%20shoes%20and%20socks%204%20FJ_zpszlxxwhq4.jpg

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Has anyone had the entire exterior sprayed with Linex Body Armor? A buddy of mine did his F-250 4 door and it looks pretty good, but I have not seen it on Jeeps very much except for the interior floors. I thought the weight of it would be a lot but the company claims that the F-250 gained about 140 pounds from the exterior spray. I think it would be good protection from trail rash along the doors, etc.. What do you think?
My brother had this on one of his Wranglers. He worked in auto-body so he stripped the whole interior out and practically dipped the entire body inside and out. There were some technical problems with body panel gaps, hinges, and general fitment but with patience and a grinder he put everything back together.

On the positive side, the truck was thoroughly armored. I believe you could have thrown a brick at it and caused no damage.
On the negative side, the truck weight would qualify as morbidly obese. This in turn affected handling, acceleration, braking, and ground clearance.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I line x’ed my grill, and bumpers on my ram 2500.
after 125k and 7 years it still looks fantastic . The best part is the durability. Every other black color matched truck I see has a million Little Rock chips in the grille and front bumper. Not mine.
That being said I did line X ultra which was a bit of a more coarse texture. If the body armor product would have been available at the time I’d have preferred that.
Sponsored