Sponsored

Need help! What is this on my D44 front axle ??

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey everyone, I was just crawling up under my 2019 JLUR to check on the frame welds and I noticed this on my front axle. It appears that its leaking oil, although i rubbed my fingers in it and it didn't smell like gear oil. Anyone know what the heck?? If I can avoid going into the dealership that would be great. I do all the maintenance myself. Please let me know if there is a fix for this. Thanks in advance!!

** edit, please feel to chime in :) but this is most likely my fault. Last oil change I spilled a bit of oil trying to get it in the funnel. I opened the hood and looked down and sure enough the diff is right where I spilled the oil. Regardless, the plug weld on my diff looks half assed... ?? I sprayed brake cleaner and wiped down the pumpkin. Will report later if I see any weeping. Wanted to mention my frame welds look good, not perfect but definitely sloppy in some areas but nowhere as bad as some 2018's I've seen . My build date is 11-18. .

-Chris

20200207_173710.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
cmc.703

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appears youā€™ve answered your own question, but that looks like a plug weld to me as well. Not sure if mine looks any better or not.
Would you be willing to crawl up under there and snap a picture for comparison? My picture was taken of the side that faces the rear of the vehicle.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Would you be willing to crawl up under there and snap a picture for comparison? My picture was taken of the side that faces the rear of the vehicle.
Sure. I need to install some stuff anyway. Just need to let the snow melt off the Jeep. The garage floor will be a mess but it hasnā€™t stopped me before.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Itā€™s the rosette weld that holds the axle tube into the differential housing. They can leak if the weld wasnā€™t perfect. Not a huge issue, but I would have the dealer fix it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
cmc.703

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure. I need to install some stuff anyway. Just need to let the snow melt off the Jeep. The garage floor will be a mess but it hasnā€™t stopped me before.
Awesome! No need to rush. I just got back under the Jeep and removed the fill plug and stuck my finger in there. Fluid seems to be at capacity and the fluid looked like it would inside a new bottle. Gear oil has a distinct odor and the oil I was wiping up on the pumpkin had more of an motor oil smell to me. So I'm not leaking from my diff. I am upset that the welds on my D44 are this shoddy. I heard that Dana Corp and the frames for Wranglers are welded in the same factory. Some company named Hyundai Mobis. Anyway, hopefully this post will help someone in the future.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Awesome! No need to rush. I just got back under the Jeep and removed the fill plug and stuck my finger in there. Fluid seems to be at capacity and the fluid looked like it would inside a new bottle. Gear oil has a distinct odor and the oil I was wiping up on the pumpkin had more of an motor oil smell to me. So I'm not leaking from my diff. I am upset that the welds on my D44 are this shoddy. I heard that Dana Corp and the frames for Wranglers are welded in the same factory. Some company named Hyundai Mobis. Anyway, hopefully this post will help someone in the future.
itā€™s an issue with all solid axles, especially in off road applications. That particular weld is under a lot of stress when the axle articulates. A lot of people will also weld the circumference of the wine where it meets the center section of the axle housing. Couple that with a truss and it makes the whole housing much stronger.

OP
OP
cmc.703

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
itā€™s an issue with all solid axles, especially in off road applications. That particular weld is under a lot of stress when the axle articulates. A lot of people will also weld the circumference of the wine where it meets the center section of the axle housing. Couple that with a truss and it makes the whole housing much stronger.
Thanks for the information. What would the dealership do to fix it? If its something I can do like putting JB weld in the gap and painting it black i'll do it. I'm a parts counterman for an Acura dealership. What I've seen over the years at our shop combined with what I'm hearing about how Jeep technicians can't even install a steering stabilizer correctly because they aren't stopping to read the service bulletin, makes me want to avoid the dealership at all costs. Warranty doesn't pay their bills, C.O.D. does.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Mobis welded the JK frames. The JL frames are welded by Tower International (a Chinese company with a location in Pontiac MI). I haven't heard that they are welding the Dana axles.

OP
OP
cmc.703

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mobis welded the JK frames. The JL frames are welded by Tower International (a Chinese company with a location in Pontiac MI). I haven't heard that they are welding the Dana axles.
Good to know!! The frame welds match that on my D44, shoddy welds and lots of the rusty looking silica.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Thanks for the information. What would the dealership do to fix it? If its something I can do like putting JB weld in the gap and painting it black i'll do it. I'm a parts counterman for an Acura dealership. What I've seen over the years at our shop combined with what I'm hearing about how Jeep technicians can't even install a steering stabilizer correctly because they aren't stopping to read the service bulletin, makes me want to avoid the dealership at all costs. Warranty doesn't pay their bills, C.O.D. does.
that would probably get the job done.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey everyone, I was just crawling up under my 2019 JLUR to check on the frame welds and I noticed this on my front axle. It appears that its leaking oil, although i rubbed my fingers in it and it didn't smell like gear oil. Anyone know what the heck?? If I can avoid going into the dealership that would be great. I do all the maintenance myself. Please let me know if there is a fix for this. Thanks in advance!!

** edit, please feel to chime in :) but this is most likely my fault. Last oil change I spilled a bit of oil trying to get it in the funnel. I opened the hood and looked down and sure enough the diff is right where I spilled the oil. Regardless, the plug weld on my diff looks half assed... ?? I sprayed brake cleaner and wiped down the pumpkin. Will report later if I see any weeping. Wanted to mention my frame welds look good, not perfect but definitely sloppy in some areas but nowhere as bad as some 2018's I've seen . My build date is 11-18. .

-Chris

20200207_173710.jpg
Hi cmc.703,
Thanks for sharing your concerns on here, we understand why this would seem troubling! If you do decide to bring this to the attention of your dealer, know that we are happy to assist you via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored