LoD Destroyer Series Sliding Roof Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Beautiful rig. What did you use to mount the awning to the LoD rack? Do you know the diameter or the tubing?
the OD is 1.25”
Getting that batwing on was a pain. No mount I could find fits the diameter of the tubing. I wound up using the arb tube mount for its curve around the bar, and then used large washers to hold the bolts in place to the holes already in the rack grates. The tent also adds extra support holding the mount down to the rack. (See picture). It is very sturdy, but without the help of the pressure of the tent, I don’t know if it would work. The ARB tube u bracket is too small to fit around the diameter of the cross bars

0DCA2522-3C94-42A5-89D0-57E5BC583EA4.jpeg
Sponsored

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Here are the axis alloys mounts for the shovel and axe and the KC chase light I used KC brackets and the holes already drilled out in the rack to mount it

B2B05E53-04FA-439E-B052-8E0495597C7C.jpeg

9C4389B1-BB50-4395-9F4D-56D25E8FF6E9.jpeg

1BA3BD95-9A3D-4C79-B310-B4B2BE9A6AF1.jpeg

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
@RSenese

Would you be able to give us a sense of the wind noise is like at highway speeds?

thank you!

Last edited:

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@RSenese

Would you be able to give us a sense of the wind noise is like at highway speeds?

thank you!
“Wisshhhhhh” lol.

I have a soft top, A light bar, a 13” tent and a roof rack. Unfortunately I can’t tell you what the rack sounds like on the highway because there is a lot going on up there. The tarp of the rack probably makes more noise than the wind through the rack. But the dampener they threw in sits so solid against the car that there is barely much noise. I drive with the stock stereo on about about halfway, and I hear nothing. Hope that helps.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
......Wind noise is minimal on highway with the wind deflector LOD sent me with my initial order....
Would you further discuss this? Is there something apart from the design of the front slider attachment point, some air foil or wind deflector that LOD includes with the rack?

Also, while I can appreciate it being a four handed job, how difficult was it for you and your father-in-law to insert the sliding portion of the rack into the main structure once installed? What locking mechanism keeps the rack from sliding sideways, if any, and is this lock on both the front and back sliders or just one of them?

Thanks.

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Would you further discuss this? Is there something apart from the design of the front slider attachment point, some air foil or wind deflector that LOD includes with the rack?

Also, while I can appreciate it being a four handed job, how difficult was it for you and your father-in-law to insert the sliding portion of the rack into the main structure once installed? What locking mechanism keeps the rack from sliding sideways, if any, and is this lock on both the front and back sliders or just one of them?

Thanks.
Hi Gee-pah, thought I would chime in here...
We do offer a wind deflector that is bolt on and helps reduce the wind noise! We are still catching up on some things, but should be getting all the options posted on our website soon! The sliding rack has a locking latch on both the front and back slides, as well as a safety screw knob for both the front and back slides.

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
How easily or not will the hardtop come off with the rack on?

If I wanted to run two rooftop boxes on the slider would I need to purchase other roof rails? If it helps my box is a Yakima.

Thank you very much!

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
How easily or not will the hardtop come off with the rack on?

If I wanted to run two rooftop boxes on the slider would I need to purchase other roof rails? If it helps my box is a Yakima.

Thank you very much!
To get the hard top off, you would remove the two rear gussets (6 bolts per side), super easy. This will allow the hard top to slide out the back. Its a two person job to take the hard top out, but its a simple job. Simply lift the top up about an inch or two and walk it backwards right out from under the rack. We did it in about 5-10 min. As for the roof box, it just depends on the size. If the box can mount to 1 1/4" diameter round rail, then you wouldn't need anything special. And depending on the size of the boxes, you could definitely run two side by side.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
To get the hard top off, you would remove the two rear gussets (6 bolts per side), super easy. This will allow the hard top to slide out the back. Its a two person job to take the hard top out, but its a simple job. Simply lift the top up about an inch or two and walk it backwards right out from under the rack. We did it in about 5-10 min. As for the roof box, it just depends on the size. If the box can mount to 1 1/4" diameter round rail, then you wouldn't need anything special. And depending on the size of the boxes, you could definitely run two side by side.
Vendors should be commended when, like above, they are enormously honest about describing their wares.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I wonder what people think of the Gobi rack versus the LOD one. I own and work for neither.

The Gobi is a wonderfully built rack, that involves no holes for installation, but when it comes to flexibility with overhead storage I've got to give the win to LOD. Since the holes LOD requires you to make in the rig are in inconspicuous places like behind the tail lights and under the cowl I don't see this as a Gobi advantage, especially since there seems to be more work involved in installing the Gobi's rear.

Your best method to gain access to the hard/soft top with the Gobi is to lift the rack up and back..not the easiest task if you're short, and forget about doing it with gear on top--even firmly tied down gear which would add weight to the process. At times I've done some "napkin drawings" of having two winches, front and back, to pull the rack back or forward with complete control: hardly trivial.

The LOD rack has three options, cross bars, cross bars with aluminum floor panels and/or sliders with aluminum floor panels. My only concern is if the sliders pick up (off) road debris in the grease that makes their ball bearings turn, now with more effort. Perhaps this isn't an issue, or if it is, something that a good pressure washing and re-greasing now and then is both recommended and can fully address.

I think both racks look great. I like how he LOD base rack rides lower, but can still clear a hard or soft top because of cross members with bends on each end that elevate them, and how it clears the power top (at least with the sliding rack.)

Gobi I believe has a rack for the power top.

Does anyone have thoughts on these two beasts? Does anyone think there's a rack out there for the JL better than either of these two?

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
I think both racks look great. I like how he LOD base rack rides lower, but can still clear a hard or soft top because of cross members with bends on each end that elevate them, and how it clears the power top (at least with the sliding rack.)

Gobi I believe has a rack for the power top.

Does anyone have thoughts on these two beasts? Does anyone think there's a rack out there for the JL better than either of these two?
Gee-pah, just wanted to clarify, our Base Rack with Cross Members and our Sliding Rack option are compatible with the power Sky One Touch Top!!! There are no changes needed to be able to open the top completely!

mpogca

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red JLU RUBICON
Gee-pah, just wanted to clarify, our Base Rack with Cross Members and our Sliding Rack option are compatible with the power Sky One Touch Top!!! There are no changes needed to be able to open the top completely!
If you have a winch lift in garage can you remove hard top up through the rack? Has anyone tried this.
Thanks.

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Unfortunately no you will not be able to lift it straight up because the base of the hard top is wider that the rack.

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hi Gee-pah, thought I would chime in here...
We do offer a wind deflector that is bolt on and helps reduce the wind noise! We are still catching up on some things, but should be getting all the options posted on our website soon! The sliding rack has a locking latch on both the front and back slides, as well as a safety screw knob for both the front and back slides.
Are you planning on releasing the support bars pictured in one of the photos you have with the tent supported with the slider extended?
If so, how soon? And will it support the 800lbs Static as well?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.