Sponsored

Muffler delete - Has anyone used the space?

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Muffler deleters...have you used the space for anything yet? Any aftermarket products use the space? DIY anything? I did some searching and found one poster possibly using it for a Viair tank, but no follow up.

I my first thought is a larger storage tub, but I would rather tuck a power tank up there with some armor to protect it.

Anybody seen anything done with this space yet??
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Move a smaller gas tank there, properly skid/protect it and XX 4 link the rear suspension, the way it should have been done at the factory.
I'm pretty sure federal standards prevents manufacturers from putting a gas tank behind the rear axle anymore to lessen the chance of leaks and fires in a rear end collision.

I've tossed around the idea of installing a small air tank where the muffler currently sits.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I'm pretty sure federal standards prevents manufacturers from putting a gas tank behind the rear axle anymore to lessen the chance of leaks and fires in a rear end collision.

I've tossed around the idea of installing a small air tank where the muffler currently sits.
My 3/4 Ton 2011 Chevy Suburban has 2 tanks, one over the axle, and one behind the axle.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
My 3/4 Ton 2011 Chevy Suburban has 2 tanks, one over the axle, and one behind the axle.
If that's the case, it's pretty stupid. If you build the rear crossmember and bumper assembly correctly, the problem can be mitigated for even high speed collisions.
It's either a new standard or a decision on Jeeps part because they were sued for wrongful deaths because of some Jeeps exploding after a minor rear end collision which was an issue that they knew about.

Sponsored

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This would be good to know more about. I would like a ADD ON gas tank for the 2 DOOR JLR . Then it would be perfect 👍

Sponsored

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My purpose and intended use for the extra gas tank in that rear location would be only for long distance overlanding . Simular to when rotopax are used and stored in the rear of a vehicle ... any current options or fabricators that you would recommend for just an extra 5-10 gallons.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I would LOVE more storage there. Then I can move some of my tools from underneath my rear bench seats to the larger trunk tub

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I would LOVE more storage there. Then I can move some of my tools from underneath my rear bench seats to the larger trunk tub
I cant believe someone hasnt come up with a larger replacement tub yet.

Thinking no one will offer a gas tank for liability issues in that spot but one could be fashioned in there privately. Get the dimensions right as well as mounting points and give it to a welder. Cut an ample hole for a filler in the bumper, buy a pump and hose and fill the normal tank when ready for it. I havent checked the dimensions but guessing you could get 5 or more gallons there. For me that is 50 trail miles and about 80 road miles.
Sponsored