Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Not my problem, no one around here cares about your JL build :giggle:
I was more wondering if I should get Oracle lighting rgbw prebuilt headlights or just OEM+

After all I've seen, how can you do better than Sport and Retrofitting m

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I bought a Wrangler because I had a TJ about 20 years ago that was unstoppable in a major blizzard we had. I got rid of it when we had kids as it wasn't practical. I did take it off road a few times but not rock crawling. I always liked the 4 door Wranglers as they had the utility of a 4x4 but were also convertible. The JLU was the first 4-door Wrangler I seriously considered purchasing as it had all of those qualities from prior Wranglers plus the creature comforts I have grown accustomed to (keyless entry, heated seats, power locks/windows, better headlights, etc.). Honestly, I bought the Rubicon for the look. I didn't want to buy a Sahara and have to add the wheels, tires, lift, hood. I guess I can see how rock crawling appeals to some but it is so sloooooow. Couple that with the serious risk of damage to a vehicle that is pretty pricey and it is not for me.
ok so you do get it then. Yeah it is slow for sure in some areas. I recall doing the golden spike in moab and tapping my foot anxious to go faster so I get that. BUT, the beauty of that area, is surreal and you aint getting there without some risk (and some foot tapping)...even if it is a small one. But it's a case of know thy self.

I bought a dirt bike to get my speed fix in tech, but the jeep has some undeniable bennys. It's pretty freakin cool to leave your garage, drive hundreds/thousands of miles in comfort then go tackle the obstacles that border on insane. Had enough? now drive home, a different way home, might find something along the way to check out....or maybe just a reason to come back and do it proper. Your choice.

josh8811

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (soon)
Having both a dirt bike and a Jeep is a sweet setup

josh8811

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (soon)
Having both a dirt bike and a Jeep is a sweet setup

Read around about the bronco last night. Sounds interesting. I’m sure it will have better engine options than Jeep. Doesn’t look as cool as a Jeep from what I can tell. Glad Jeep has some competition, hopefully bringing prices down some. 58k OTD for a loaded rubicon is BSC.

Sponsored

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
The 10speed only makes sense for somebody who's towing often which like the Wrangler will not be the Broncos forte.
While the Bronco won't be focused on towing, it wouldn't surprise me if it's rated significantly higher than the Wrangler.

The Ranger Raptor is rated for 5500# with the diesel. The current Ranger is rated for 7500# with the same engine likely to be offered in the Bronco.

The Bronco suspension won't be set up like a Wrangler. Between that, the engine offerings, and sharing a platform with the pickup, I think it could very well be rated for 5000# or better. That would be attractive to the overlanding crowd.

If so, it might cause Jeep to offer the JTs max tow package (4.10, D44 wide front and back, cooling/alternator upgrade) in the Sport S with stiffer springs.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
While the Bronco won't be focused on towing, it wouldn't surprise me if it's rated significantly higher than the Wrangler.

The Ranger Raptor is rated for 5500# with the diesel. The current Ranger is rated for 7500# with the same engine likely to be offered in the Bronco.

The Bronco suspension won't be set up like a Wrangler. Between that, the engine offerings, and sharing a platform with the pickup, I think it could very well be rated for 5000# or better. That would be attractive to the overlanding crowd.

If so, it might cause Jeep to offer the JTs max tow package (4.10, D44 wide front and back, cooling/alternator upgrade) in the Sport S with stiffer springs.
I agree. Payload and better towing capacity will more then likely be better and that is what overlanders want. BUT, probably about all serious-use-their-jeeps-as-it-was-built-for owners overload the crap out of their rigs and not much happening. Towing isnt really a jeep thing although I will be towing 2k. I wish it was rated better but I wouldnt tow much more than 2k anyway.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Speaking of desert running...check your favorite news site on February 6 12:01 AM ET when some Chicago Auto Show embargoes expire. :)
I believe you said before that it wasn't Wrangler, but Jeep related.

Given that the new GC is under development, it seems unlikely that Jeep would spend resources on a package there.

That leaves Gladiator, especially considering the recent spy shots showing what might be the rumored "Hercules."

Perhaps the rumored "Tornado" I6 or the turbo v6 from the Giulia?

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
The Bronco will never get the 5.0 engine.

Base model will have the 2.3 and the Raptor will have the 2.7. It remains to be seen if the 2.7 will be an option on anything but the Raptor at this point but I would assume it will be.
Ford insiders have strongly suggested it will not be the 2.7, but something larger. That list is pretty short, either 3.0 or 3.5 TT Ecoboost, pics of the R prototype would suggest it has to be the third gen 3.0L TT Ecoboost.

I'd love to see a V8, but chances seem quite low. If Ford bumps up the offering on the F150 Raptor to one of the forced induction 5.0 or 5.2 V8s then Bronco/Ranger won't be stepping on its ego if they get a 350+hp V6.

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
https://www.motor1.com/news/397051/jeep-gladiator-special-edition-debuts/

Jeep Gladiator Mojave. First Jeep to wear the new Desert Rated badge.

New 2020 Jeep® Gladiator Mojave: the Ultimate High-performance Off-road Midsize Pickup

First Desert Rated Jeep 4x4

Jeep® Desert Rated vehicles represent the ultimate in high-speed off-road capability and performance in grueling desert and sand environments
All-new Gladiator Mojave is first Jeep vehicle to earn brand’s newly minted Desert Rated badge Industry-exclusive FOX hydraulic jounce bumpers and 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks with external reservoirs bolster Gladiator Mojave’s high-speed sand-running credentials

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
So... shocks and (eventually) locking the rear in 4h. Oh, and trim.

Nice to see they needed all that camo to hide a hood scoop though.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
During the backgrounder FCA stated the Mojave would do 50mph with the rear locked in 4H. Definitely built for desert running instead of the rock crawling focused Rubicon.

So... shocks and (eventually) locking the rear in 4h. Oh, and trim.

Nice to see they needed all that camo to hide a hood scoop though.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Status
Not open for further replies.