ROCK HARD 4X4 Front Control arm skids.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Any reviews of ROCK HARD 4X4 Front Control arm skids? I think they are the only ones who makes bolt on front skids for control arms. Is there a reason nobody makes bolt on ones?
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I have them but haven't got around to installing them yet because they don't fit with the Metalcloak FAD skid. But they're built just like the back set so they can take a beating. But I may never get around to making them work because when I looked after my last trip, the front control arm axle side bracket never hit the rocks so I don't think they are entirely necessary.

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...But I may never get around to making them work because when I looked after my last trip, the front control arm axle side bracket never hit the rocks so I don't think they are entirely necessary.
Somehow I managed to hit mine on really simple trail, no damage, but better safe than sorry.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Mine arrived today. I’ll be putting them on and taking the Jeep out this weekend. I’ll be in rocks but I typically try to stay out of places where I “need” them. If they get used I’ll report back.

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I have them but haven't got around to installing them yet because they don't fit with the Metalcloak FAD skid.
They do fit with our FAD skid.

Sponsored

SHYUperman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392
I've had them installed (front and rear) for a year now and gone on a couple wheeling trips. Very happy with them. Just installed the FAD skid, originally had the MC and learned the hard way that they don't fit.

y9h5XVA.jpg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I got the rears installed yesterday, will do fronts this afternoon. One word of caution - all 4 wheels should be flat on a level surface when installing. I had the rear wheels on ramps to gain clearance and it screwed with the suspension geometry. When I removed the lower arm axle end bolt to install the skids, the arm was slightly too short to align. I couldn’t figure out how to get it to line up. Finally when I backed off the ramps and had it flat on the ground the hole lined up. The other side went on easy peasy.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have front and rear Rock hard LCA skids on my 2020 Rubicon, also had them on my 2019. I have put them to the test here in AZ, as well as NV and Utah and they have held up amazing. These things are not only solid as a rock, the finish is good. These are some of the best skids I have found in terms of durability. I have a thread that has a more in depth review of all the skids I have used between my 2019 and my 2020.

D92C472C-B68D-453F-96F0-16FD2A5B99B5.jpeg

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great reviews. Placed my order.

Sponsored

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed skids some time ago and actually used them on couple of trails. And now I have a problem with front ones. It looks like I need to tighten bolts for fronts every other drive or they start to creak and moan each time I turn the steering wheel. I like the protection, but its getting annoying to the point I want to take them off.

EDIT: So I did some more diagnostics and it turns out the culprit was not control arm bolts but my track bar. So @ROCK HARD 4X4 was right.
Still cant explain how over tightening control arm bolts helped with creaking for a short time...

Last edited:

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Installed skids some time ago and actually used them on couple of trails. And now I have a problem with front ones. It looks like I need to tighten bolts for fronts every other drive or they start to creak and moan each time I turn the steering wheel. I like the protection, but its getting annoying to the point I want to take them off.
They shouldn't be loosening - sounds more like bushings that are worn out. Give your drag link and tie rod end bushings a look, and definitely check out your control arm joints..

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They shouldn't be loosening - sounds more like bushings that are worn out. Give your drag link and tie rod end bushings a look, and definitely check out your control arm joints..
I know they should not. But the creaking stops for a short time and the fact that I can actually tighten the bolt for a 100th time tells me that its loosening somehow. I'll take them off this weekend and inspect the bolts. If they dont look stretched, Ill use locktight or something. I'll inspect all the bushings again.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Blue Loctite?

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My passenger side the tab that is bent over to keep it in place actually bent out and now doesn’t catch anymore so it rotates down when it scrapes against rocks.
Sponsored