Chellipants

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Hi guys!
this past Sunday i was going down the Grape Vine leaving Los Angeles and they had high wind warnings. The wind was so bad it kept pushing us into the next lane over. It was terrifying!
i do have a soft top and my jeep is stock.. would a hard top make it more aerodynamic? what bout the Razor back top? Any suggestions help.

Thanks!
:)
Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. A hardtop won't make a difference. It really is a 'Jeep thing'

comparing-wind-tunnel-test-and-solved-heavily-debated-topic-i-55550628.png

Rubidouxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR
Sorry but I doubt anything is going to help, including a hardtop which we have. We went to Moab last April and coming home across Kansas on I-70 was a steering wheel gripping adventure as the crosswinds were out of the south at about 40 mph. I was never so glad to get off there and turn back north at Kansas City! It was literally dangerous to pass vehicles that day. When we would go past an embankment or something that would break the crosswind, it would shoot us back to the right onto the shoulder. I just ended up slowing down to 60 mph or so and held on. Wranglers are just a big square brick aerodynamically and not much is going to change their behavior in high winds unfortunately.

OP
OP
Chellipants

Chellipants

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Sorry but I doubt anything is going to help, including a hardtop which we have. We went to Moab last April and coming home across Kansas on I-70 was a steering wheel gripping adventure as the crosswinds were out of the south at about 40 mph. I was never so glad to get off there and turn back north at Kansas City! It was literally dangerous to pass vehicles that day. When we would go past an embankment or something that would break the crosswind, it would shoot us back to the right onto the shoulder. I just ended up slowing down to 60 mph or so and held on. Wranglers are just a big square brick aerodynamically and not much is going to change their behavior in high winds unfortunately.

I guess ill have to get used to that and use the Mustang on windy days. Sucks because i really like how my jeep drives.. First time jeep owner too, got a lot to get used to. Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in Los Angeles too, with a JLUR hard top. Doesn't help much. For the past couple days the wind pushes me from lane to lane every time I get on a freeway :)

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I have dual tops. You’ll get blown around in both but I’m used to it.

I much prefer the hard top for going 75+ or in crosswinds. It is more of a mechanical sympathy type thing though. Seeing the soft top windows bowing at higher speeds doesn’t seem good. In strong crosswinds sometimes air gets between top and sides.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'll " second" that one..... My wife was concerned we were going to lose a side window last time we were out in the winds... Made the occasional " pop" when the wind got under the top.
Definitely will take awhile to get used to it..
Any winds above 20 mph required both hands on the wheel.

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Haha . . . The wind will have its way with a Lego shaped vehicle.
Sponsored