Sponsored

DEF Usage

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Yeah that is very disappointing. I hope this is a tune they can do at the dealer or software update. Or we are all going to be carrying extra Def fluid with us everywhere
I highly doubt FCA, Jeep, or any dealer will have a fix for anything this side of a leak. They got in 10-figure hot water for emissions control software changes on the gen2 3.0 so unless someone can prove the code on these shipped vehicles is different than the code certified by EPA/CARB, they’ll be making precisely zero changes to it.
Sponsored

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I highly doubt FCA, Jeep, or any dealer will have a fix for anything this side of a leak. They got in 10-figure hot water for emissions control software changes on the gen2 3.0 so unless someone can prove the code on these shipped vehicles is different than the code certified by EPA/CARB, they’ll be making precisely zero changes to it.
I’m not thinking any changes to emissions. I’m think maybe there is something else with in the software engine that is causing excessive def usage. If they were claiming 10k miles I would bet they came with that number from ample amount of testing that they were seeing those numbers. So something has to be causing that excessive usage

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
View attachment 277545
That’s near a worst case scenario for the gen2 3.0 on a Ram 1500 and still using 3-4x less than @Buttercup 3.0. The typical experience with those Rams is 1400-1500mpg for DEF...5x less than what @Buttercup 3.0 is seeing towing a lightweight trailer.

73B718FD-AED8-4214-B38E-9617D50B7007.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My old f250 got about half what the manufacturer stated ... sure it’s like mpg. In a test scenario you might get what’s advertised but in real life no chance
Yea there’s going to be load-related fluctuations, but what we’re seeing here is downright ridiculous... @SheddMan is using DEF at 2.5x the advertised rate under normal load. That would be like Jeep advertising combined fuel mileage of 25 and him seeing 10 in real life. @Buttercup 3.0 is seeing around 6x advertised usage towing at less than half of the towing capacity...the fuel efficiency is nowhere near the 4mpg that would be required to justify that volume of DEF to be pissed away.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not thinking any changes to emissions. I’m think maybe there is something else with in the software engine that is causing excessive def usage. If they were claiming 10k miles I would bet they came with that number from ample amount of testing that they were seeing those numbers. So something has to be causing that excessive usage
Anything that affects DEF dosing will be of foremost interest to CARB and EPA. No changes happen without their approval unless it’s a change from out-of-spec uncertified code to what they used at the time of certification. At least in an overdosing error situation, CARB and EPA would have no reason to fine FCA for self-reporting it because there would be no increase in NOx in the affected vehicles like the changes that screwed them with the gen2.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
DEF usage is supposed to be roughly 3% of your diesel use. And the only way to truly see how much DEF you are using is to fill the DEF tank all the way to the top every time. DO NOT use the gauge as an estimate. Rams are well known to burn through 2.5 gal of DEF before the gauge comes off full. So, to the OP, if the Jeep is anything like the Ram, I doubt you were full when you left the dealership. Top off the DEF tank and drive it. Keep track of fuel and when you fill up the DEF again, see what your usage is.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DEF usage is supposed to be roughly 3% of your diesel use. And the only way to truly see how much DEF you are using is to fill the DEF tank all the way to the top every time. DO NOT use the gauge as an estimate. Rams are well known to burn through 2.5 gal of DEF before the gauge comes off full. So, to the OP, if the Jeep is anything like the Ram, I doubt you were full when you left the dealership. Top off the DEF tank and drive it. Keep track of fuel and when you fill up the DEF again, see what your usage is.
10,000 miles (Jeep’s claim) is 400 gallons of diesel at 25mpg combined. That would be 12 gallons of DEF and we know it only holds 5 and change. So Jeep is claiming 1.25% of fuel use on the gen3 3.0, not 3%.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
10,000 miles (Jeep’s claim) is 400 gallons of diesel at 25mpg combined. That would be 12 gallons of DEF and we know it only holds 5 and change. So Jeep is claiming 1.25% of fuel use on the gen3 3.0, not 3%.
Guess I should have clarified a bit more. "Officially", from what I can find, DEF usage is 1-3%. So, if you are using over 3%, then you've got a problem. The diesel could possibly go 10000 miles, but I doubt it. My wifey's diesel Touareg would go 10000 miles on a 5gal tank of DEF, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't using the "required" amount.....hence the diesel gate fiasco.

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
Here's mine taken earlier today. Mostly driving around a pretty suburban area and occasional highway.

20200202_130816.jpg

Wombat

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion :(
If these emission is anything like the ones in my Peterbilt.... cold frigid temperatures drastically effect def usage. The colder it is... the more DEF you will use

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Truck driver here def freezes during very low outdoor temps. The less def you have the more is prone to crystallizing. I would always have two or three gallons in my truck keeping it warm in the cab just in case. I learn that lession the hard way my truck went in to limp mode and had to drive 15miles at 5mph to the nearest gas station.
Always top it off in my opinion does not hurt
Example of what it looked like inside

Never top off DEF, your def tank is insulated and should be heated (when starting/running) except for the fill tube, you never want your DEF to freeze so topping off will leave DEF in the tube. Also DEF has a shelf life of about 1 year so 10,000 miles would be problematic for some. Expect 3000-5000 miles for filling. Do not fill in the winter if possible.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never top off DEF, your def tank is insulated and should be heated (when starting/running) except for the fill tube, you never want your DEF to freeze so topping off will leave DEF in the tube. Also DEF has a shelf life of about 1 year so 10,000 miles would be problematic for some. Expect 3000-5000 miles for filling. Do not fill in the winter if possible.
Expect what the manufacturer stated, not 200-300% higher dosing rates. Jeep has lied enough about the 3.0 and will not be let off the hook for woefully inaccurate claims of DEF longevity.

OP
OP
SheddMan

SheddMan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My warning message popped up today. So you will get a warning 500 miles before the engine will not restart. These miles were not very accurate. Mine dropped about 40 miles in approx 10 miles travelled. I had already purchased some DEF so I’ll be filling up tonight.

8D904C95-061F-4D97-89DB-72BAA3D4D4B4.jpeg

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My warning message popped up today. So you will get a warning 500 miles before the engine will not restart. These miles were not very accurate. Mine dropped about 40 miles in approx 10 miles travelled. I had already purchased some DEF so I’ll be filling up tonight.

8D904C95-061F-4D97-89DB-72BAA3D4D4B4.jpeg
I do wonder if they weren’t full from factory but showed full on the meter like a fuel tank will for the first hundred miles give or take after a fill up. Still wouldn’t account for a 65% reduction in DEF range. @Nihkole looks to be on track for a 60-65% reduction too. @Buttercup 3.0 hit an 87% range reduction with light towing. So far that makes zero delivered rigs on track to come anywhere close to 10,000.
Sponsored