Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

Moucf96

First Name
Mollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I read that the hardtop only supports 40#. Will your yaks exceed that? I was looking at an eco-skeleton to overcome the weight.
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I read that the hardtop only supports 40#. Will your yaks exceed that? I was looking at an eco-skeleton to overcome the weight.
It's 80 or so, not 40.
Here's my 78 pound kayak on rhino bars. Drove to Mexico no problem.
IMG_20191008_102332.jpg

Dethwalkin

First Name
Darryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
78lbs? holy shit! My Kayaks are 30ish a piece.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It's a 13 ft. Ocean Kayak Trident fishing kayak. Very heavy but very nice on the water.

Usfpaul82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Figured I would chime in, though I’m in a 2008 JKU. I have a 90 pound kayak that I have been topping with the Thule Rapid Gutter and Aero Bars setup. I have made about 6 30 mile (each way) trips with some light 65 mph highway driving. I have not had a single issue, but I am starting to get nervous with everyone having bad feelings about mounting to the gutters with that much load, especially on the freedom panels. Like I said, no issues at all yet, but now I am trying to talk myself out of getting the backbones system instead. I use the Rhino T-Loader to easily get it loaded and unloaded. And I’m a small 5’7” dude. What do you all think?

A911DE28-9377-48A6-B6FD-77A323932014.jpeg

Sponsored

KCVS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura and JLUR in KZ
How did that work out??
I was using the sport rack foam blocks and strapping them to the kayaks, and used that for transport on hard top and roll bars.

Roll bars 30 miles hwy a number of timds and hardtop from Chicago to Canada. Only issue is the straps drip in anything more than a bit of rain.

Still use the blocks if topless, but put in the rhino rack backbone, pioneer tray, and ladder so i can get 3-4 on top.

A slight increase in noise, reduction in mpg, but 15 min to remove/put on, and works great.

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
Figured I would chime in, though I’m in a 2008 JKU. I have a 90 pound kayak that I have been topping with the Thule Rapid Gutter and Aero Bars setup. I have made about 6 30 mile (each way) trips with some light 65 mph highway driving. I have not had a single issue, but I am starting to get nervous with everyone having bad feelings about mounting to the gutters with that much load, especially on the freedom panels. Like I said, no issues at all yet, but now I am trying to talk myself out of getting the backbones system instead. I use the Rhino T-Loader to easily get it loaded and unloaded. And I’m a small 5’7” dude. What do you all think?

I think the issue with gutter mounts is uplift more than load weight.
You have it properly secured bow and aft to help prevent that.
And overall it looks good.

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
Waiting(and waiting, and waiting....) on a 2020 diesel, and will be needing a kayak rack for it.
Does anyone have a picture of what is under the side cowling covers?
Is there any access to the frame through here?

Early morning on the Withlacoochee river

DSCN0646.JPG

DSCN0654.JPG

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)

Since you asked... I think you are risking the safety of those driving near you. The aerodynamic lifting forces of this set-up are likely quite high. There is a reason why Jeep does not want folks mounting racks to the freedom panels.

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Took me the longest time to figure out why you don't have a gutter all the way along your hard top. :LOL: Simple solution: upgrade to a JL so you can attach it to the hard top :like:. Theoretically your front and rear tie downs should prevent too much lift on that freedom panel, but attaching anything to the freedom panels would scare me.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I read this entire thread and I'm more confused now than when I was before I started. LOL

Does anyone know the weight limit of the JLU(s) gutter rails? I keep hearing 80-ish pounds, but I can't seem to confirm that anywhere. And I'm having a HELLUVA time finding a system that will work for my kayak or SUP, in the summer and skis in the winter. I definitely do NOT want an exoskeleton rack as I want to be able to take the roof on/off, as well as switch back and forth from the freedom top to the soft top (I do not need a roof rack system with the soft top).

Am I correct to be concerned about the gutter cracking with a gutter mount crossbar system, or should I be looking at a backbone system? I only ever carry one 44 lb 11' kayak (or paddleboard) at a time (and 1-2 sets of skis), but I hit the water at least 3-4 times a week for two months out of the year (over 30 minutes of highway driving to get there).

Am I overreacting?

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Check our Exposed Racks. Can mount under soft top for summer use and then moved to mount on hardtop for winter. https://www.smsparts.com/

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I read this entire thread and I'm more confused now than when I was before I started. LOL

Does anyone know the weight limit of the JLU(s) gutter rails? I keep hearing 80-ish pounds, but I can't seem to confirm that anywhere. And I'm having a HELLUVA time finding a system that will work for my kayak or SUP, in the summer and skis in the winter. I definitely do NOT want an exoskeleton rack as I want to be able to take the roof on/off, as well as switch back and forth from the freedom top to the soft top (I do not need a roof rack system with the soft top).

Am I correct to be concerned about the gutter cracking with a gutter mount crossbar system, or should I be looking at a backbone system? I only ever carry one 44 lb 11' kayak (or paddleboard) at a time (and 1-2 sets of skis), but I hit the water at least 3-4 times a week for two months out of the year (over 30 minutes of highway driving to get there).

Am I overreacting?
As long as your gutter-mounted rack system is not attached to the freedom panels, you should be fine carrying such a short/light kayak. For more peace of mind, front and rear tie downs are a good idea too. I would be more concerned if the front crossbar was mounted to the freedom panel and the kayak was long (like a sea kayak).

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
As long as your gutter-mounted rack system is not attached to the freedom panels, you should be fine carrying such a short/light kayak. For more peace of mind, front and rear tie downs are a good idea too. I would be more concerned if the front crossbar was mounted to the freedom panel and the kayak was long (like a sea kayak).
That makes sense. Thanks! (My freedom tops will be removed soon and replaced with the sun rider, so that won’t be a problem.)
Sponsored