Sponsored

Park sensors and (slightly) bigger tires?

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Does anyone know WHY the park sensors lose their minds when a larger tire is installed? Is it the camera, or the actual sensors? Both??

I went from stock (255/70R18) to 285/70R17, with a -12 offset. One sensor was giving me grief so we switched to a +18 offset (for non related reasons) and they're going absolutely mad (both the drivers left and middle - the right side's been fine the whole time). The tire itself is only 0.6" taller but is 3 cm wider. I can't imagine that it would make that big of a difference (but it does). I thought bringing the tire back IN would help, but the problem is so much worse now (in fairness though, this new problem started a few days before we changed the wheel, and started quite literally the minute we drove away from the tire shop).

Yes, everything is clean/free of dirt and mud.
Yes the problem stops if we remove the tire (at least the first time we tested this. I'm tempted to test it again).

Has anyone experienced this?
Sponsored

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know WHY the park sensors lose their minds when a larger tire is installed? Is it the camera, or the actual sensors? Both??

I went from stock (255/70R18) to 285/70R17, with a -12 offset. One sensor was giving me grief so we switched to a +18 offset (for non related reasons) and they're going absolutely mad (both the drivers left and middle - the right side's been fine the whole time). The tire itself is only 0.6" taller but is 3 cm wider. I can't imagine that it would make that big of a difference (but it does). I thought bringing the tire back IN would help, but the problem is so much worse now (in fairness though, this new problem started a few days before we changed the wheel, and started quite literally the minute we drove away from the tire shop).

Yes, everything is clean/free of dirt and mud.
Yes the problem stops if we remove the tire (at least the first time we tested this. I'm tempted to test it again).

Has anyone experienced this?
I rotated my sensors down a little and it fixed my issue. All 4 still work as designed but dont go off all the time. Mine were done when I swapped bumpers so I dont know if they OEM have adhesive or not.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the plastic stock bumper replaced with an aftermarket. The plastic I believe had flat bezzels holding the sensor the metal bumper has angled bezzels held in by tabs. When the larger tire was causing them to alarm I rotated the angle slightly so it didn't pick up the tire anymore. Used my fingers and rotated.

8407558A-423E-456E-B6C5-BE79E15ED2B5.jpeg

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what my installer used

6MH84RXFAB

Bezel, RIGHT