Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
I searched but haven't found anything. Is there any benefit one way or the other as to which is stronger... a bolt on hitch (similar to the stock mopar hitch) or a bumper with an integrated hitch? Thanks.
Sponsored

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
My understanding is the bumper "hitches" aren't truly rated (RockHard4x4 used to be but I don't see it on their JL stuff) and they are really only meant for accessories like a bike rack, etc. That being said over the years I have towed a good amount of weight on anything from a Smittybilt cheapie bumper on my YJ to the RockHard 4x4 stuff on my TJ and LJ. I'm sure everyone has an opinion and it depends on how much you are towing but if you are looking for legit rated towing I would say stick with the bolt on hitch (maybe that is why it seems most rear aftermarket bumpers are keeping the factory hitch).

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
All of our receivers match OEM ratings. The other benefit of our bumper integrated hitches is that they are raised for better ground clearance.

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
All of our receivers match OEM ratings. The other benefit of our bumper integrated hitches is that they are raised for better ground clearance.
Perfect. I thought that was the case but didn’t see it on the site. That was actually one of the big reasons I went with your carrier on my LJ.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
(maybe that is why it seems most rear aftermarket bumpers are keeping the factory hitch).
I have noticed that most bumpers have a cutout for the factory hitch. Which I'm totally fine with, if that is the best option. I personally kind of like the bolt on OEM style hitch, that way its the lowest point and can drag on something and I'm not damaging my actual bumper.
Sponsored