Sponsored

315/70R17 on stock MOAB rims on a Sport

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I did some searching here but couldn’t find the answer to this:

I have a Sport with MOAB takeoff wheels. I also have the MOAB takeoff suspension which I’m planning to install soon.

When my current 33’s need to be replaced I’m thinking of going with 35’s.

Questions:

1) Any issues with 35s on the stock MOAB wheels? I see that there are tires such as Milestar Patagonia that are ok down to 7.5” wide wheels.

2) Will the takeoff suspension (1.5-2” lift vs stock Sport suspension) give me enough lift to avoid rubbing in common off-road situations or over speed bumps? I don’t do any severe off road driving or crawling (mostly beaches and fire trails, although I plan to explore some local overland camping). From other posts I think this will be ok.

3) From other posts I think that the stock spare tire carrier will be sufficient. True?

4) I appreciate that the performance won’t feel as peppy (3.6 MT) and the MPG will go down a few, and that I will need computer calibration; but with the stock Sport gearing will the performance still be reasonable for highway driving (accelerating in to merges etc) and ok at stop lights? I know this is a bit subjective.

5) Will the stock Sport brakes be sufficient or will I need the HD ones?

Anything else I’m missing?

Again, I know this is basic stuff (my first Jeep) and I did search through a bunch of threads, so thanks for any advice!
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I did some searching here but couldn’t find the answer to this:

I have a Sport with MOAB takeoff wheels. I also have the MOAB takeoff suspension which I’m planning to install soon.

When my current 33’s need to be replaced I’m thinking of going with 35’s.
Manual or Automatic transmission?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You can mount the 35s on the 7.5" wheels but the offset being +45 will have your inner suspension parts very close to the inner tire edge.

If you plan on off roading w/ pretty good spring flex you will have contact. Would be best to get 8.5 width wheels with offsets closer to zero +/-10. You could run spacers to bring the Moab wheels out a bit to give you less positive offset too (but many folks prefer not to resort to spacers)

And running base brakes w/ 33s or especially 35s should go with better biting brake pads, Powerstops are about the only upgrade at this point, hope more options come out soon. Even the larger Rubicon/Sahara brakes should have a better biting pad when going to 35s (just my 2cs).

I've read the 6MT w/ sport gearing is a tough match for 35s though :(

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can mount the 35s on the 7.5" wheels but the offset being +45 will have your inner suspension parts very close to the inner tire edge.

If you plan on off roading w/ pretty good spring flex you will have contact. Would be best to get 8.5 width wheels with offsets closer to zero +/-10. You could run spacers to bring the Moab wheels out a bit to give you less positive offset too (but many folks prefer not to resort to spacers)

And running base brakes w/ 33s or especially 35s should go with better biting brake pads, Powerstops are about the only upgrade at this point, hope more options come out soon. Even the larger Rubicon/Sahara brakes should have a better biting pad when going to 35s (just my 2cs).

I've read the 6MT w/ sport gearing is a tough match for 35s though :(
Joey, this is very helpful and exactly the types of considerations I wanted to know. Thanks.

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I second the points above.
My impression from reading a lot is 35's with the 3.45 gearing and the 6-speed MT is not a great option. If you go for it, please post your impressions. I installed takeoff suspension and a 3/4" spacer lift and got about 2-1/4". I could probably fit 35's but don't want to lose 5th and 6th gear.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I second the points above.
My impression from reading a lot is 35's with the 3.45 gearing and the 6-speed MT is not a great option. If you go for it, please post your impressions. I installed takeoff suspension and a 3/4" spacer lift and got about 2-1/4". I could probably fit 35's but don't want to lose 5th and 6th gear.
Thanks! Based on this feedback I think I will stick with 33s (not interested in re-gearing).

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks! Based on this feedback I think I will stick with 33s (not interested in re-gearing).
Should still be plenty capable without the issues

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Since you have a sport, you have the euro bumper things that are between the bumper and fender. That will rub with 35's. You have to either cut it or remove it. I cut mine because removing them will reveal wires.

For the spare, you will more than likely need a relocator. Get it on amazon for like $50 by smittybuilt I think. Let me know if you can't find it. I have it saved on my list so I can post the link.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you have a sport, you have the euro bumper things that are between the bumper and fender. That will rub with 35's. You have to either cut it or remove it. I cut mine because removing them will reveal wires.

For the spare, you will more than likely need a relocator. Get it on amazon for like $50 by smittybuilt I think. Let me know if you can't find it. I have it saved on my list so I can post the link.
Thanks. I’m actually planning to replace both bumpers and the rear one I like has an optional spare tire carrier.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should still be plenty capable without the issues
Interesting, thank you. Anybody here have a 6 speed non-Rubi with 35s? Comments on performance?

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.45 gearing, w/the 6 Spd. M/T, is just too high, even for the stock tires, 245/75R17 (31.5" OD), on the JL series. It would be even worse w/35" tires.

I know w/my JLU Sport, the majority of the time, I drive it in 4th, and 5th on wide open and flat highways, occasionally going into even 6th, if the highway is dead flat, but as soon as any slight incline comes along, the RPM's drop, and so I have to downshift.

Off-road, here in the Southwest, I've had to go into Low on my transfer case too many times on hills, which I know w/the 3.73's, I wouldn't have to. I wish the 3.73 was available as an option on the JL's, like it was on the JK, which if it was, I would of definitely gotten. It's standard on the Gladiator's.

If you want to do heavy off-roading, then the Rubicon is the model people should get, w/its 4.10 gearing, 4:1 transfer case, Locking Differentials (only in 4 Low), Disabling Sway Bars, HD frame, and HD suspension.

Can you turn a Sport up into, or near to, the same level as a Rubicon, sure, but it costs money, which could of gone directly into a Rubicon.

Here's how I view the different Jeep Wrangler models (in totally stock form):

- Sahara - Mostly Highway and Local use, Winter Driving, w/occasional, if any, Light Off-Roading.

- Sport/Sport S - Combination of Highway and Local use, Winter Driving, w/Medium Off-Roading

- Rubicon - Light Highway and Local use, Winter Driving, w/Heavy Off-Roading.

Of course this is all my own personal opinion here, and I'm sure it will differ between people, I'm sure. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3.45 gearing, w/the 6 Spd. M/T, is just too high, even for the stock tires, 245/75R17 (31.5" OD), on the JL series. It would be even worse w/35" tires.

I know w/my JLU Sport, the majority of the time, I drive it in 4th, and 5th on wide open and flat highways, occasionally going into even 6th, if the highway is dead flat, but as soon as any slight incline comes along, the RPM's drop, and so I have to downshift.

Off-road, here in the Southwest, I've had to go into Low on my transfer case too many times on hills, which I know w/the 3.73's, I wouldn't have to. I wish the 3.73 was available as an option on the JL's, like it was on the JK, which if it was, I would of definitely gotten. It's standard on the Gladiator's.

If you want to do heavy off-roading, then the Rubicon is the model people should get, w/its 4.10 gearing, 4:1 transfer case, Locking Differentials (only in 4 Low), Disabling Sway Bars, HD frame, and HD suspension.

Can you turn a Sport up into, or near to, the same level as a Rubicon, sure, but it costs money, which could of gone directly into a Rubicon.

Here's how I view the different Jeep Wrangler models (in totally stock form):

- Sahara - Mostly Highway and Local use, w/an occasional, if any, Light Off-Roading.

- Sport/Sport S - Combination of Highway, Local, and Medium Off-Roading

- Rubicon - Light Highway, Local use, w/Heavy Off-Roading.

Of course this is all my own personal opinion here, and I'm sure it will differ between people, I'm sure. ;)
Thanks. Based on all of the feedback and my own experience with 33s I’ve come to the same conclusion.
Sponsored