First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
I've been getting burn't smells every once in awhile lately. Found this last night. Wondering is anyone can help me identify what this through the valve cover sensor? is? I'm at 16k miles and it looks like both valve covers are leaking in the same area. Passenger side is worse. I'm not usually a fan of taking all the time needed to have dealer repair; but in this case it's looking like a dealer repair item? Haven't been able to find engine diagrams that show what these through the valve cover items are.

IMG_20200126_113658.jpg

IMG_20200126_114107.jpg
Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Those appear to be the variable valve timing sensors (VVT).. Not sure if that's Jeep's proper terminalogy (every manufacturer calls them something different)..One is for exhaust valves timing, other is for intake valves timing. Some have o-rings that can be serviced without replacing the complete sensor, or may require the valve replacement. Definitely a warranty repair.

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Ok, thank you. At least I have an idea on how to look them up online...

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I've been getting burn't smells every once in awhile lately. Found this last night. Wondering is anyone can help me identify what this through the valve cover sensor? is? I'm at 16k miles and it looks like both valve covers are leaking in the same area. Passenger side is worse. I'm not usually a fan of taking all the time needed to have dealer repair; but in this case it's looking like a dealer repair item? Haven't been able to find engine diagrams that show what these through the valve cover items are.
I defer to the experts on what those are. My question is this. Is your Jeep getting 5 or 6 quarts when the oil is changed? When I see all these leaks like this, the oil pan, main seals, etc. I wonder if they're caused by overfill.

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
I did the oil/filter, so for sure it was 5qts I was worried that my Catch Can might be causing pressure, but it seems to be working just perfect. Amount of removed oil was normal.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I did the oil/filter, so for sure it was 5qts I was worried that my Catch Can might be causing pressure, but it seems to be working just perfect. Amount of removed oil was normal.
Might consider removing the catch can before taking it to the dealer. You don't want them having a excuse to deny a warranty claim. Unlikely but not unheard of.

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Great idea

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
It looks like those leaks could be caused by too much crank case pressure under the valve cover, which would be directly related to the catch can. Remove the catch can, clean up the leaks and see if the leaks come back. Also inspect the catch can system and make sure it's not restricted.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I have the same amount of oil residue on mine. Also have seen tiny amount of oil in the intake. I was thinking faulty or leaky pcv valve.

No catch can, always 5qts doing it myself.

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Good information. I've not checked the PVC valve. I did remove the sensor; kinda a crappy design. The seal through the valve cover is really thin.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Good information. I've not checked the PVC valve. I did remove the sensor; kinda a crappy design. The seal through the valve cover is really thin.
Are you going to attempt a fix or take it to the dealer? I've just noticed this on mine as well. I guess I'll be dropping mine at the dealer within the next few weeks...

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Scheduled to go to dealer Weds. They're so busy, that's the earliest I could get in. It's only an $4.88 part/seal. Hope they don't have to remove valve cover to install. Worried they'll cause more issues. Also just started to throw P0171, and P2096 codes; basically lean codes for Bank 1 O2 sensor. Found the lower? O2 sensor oil wet. Lower should be after the Cat, but actually looks like it's installed within the Cat. Pretty sure that's what's causing the engine codes. Dealer said go ahead and drive it with the lean fuel condition; but I've just parked it. Many other toys to drive.

IMG_20200206_121301.jpg

Iaacosta86

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My valve covers have been wet from the same are and looks like mine is possibly worst than yours. I also thought the dealer putting 6 quarts was the issue but I started doing the oil change myself and cleaned up the covers and now they are back to being wet again. I really don’t want to drop off the Jeep at the dealer, they always manage to mess up someway

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My JLUR has been to the dealer twice for an O2 sensor miss reading. The first time they replaced the sensor, the second time they discovered that the valve cover was leaking on to the O2 sensor and that was what was causing the problems.
Sponsored