Towing a camper lifted

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I’m pulling this on 35’s (no lift). MPG is terrible but otherwise it tows great with a brake controller and weight distribution hitch. I’m probably right at or just under 3500 when it’s loaded. 3100 dry.

F82A8584-C323-4734-9225-4ED43943DC9F.jpeg

6CC3A58A-AC4D-4FD4-8D0A-FCF0AF4DBD8B.jpeg

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I’m pulling this on 35’s (no lift). MPG is terrible but otherwise it tows great with a brake controller and weight distribution hitch. I’m probably right at or just under 3500 when it’s loaded. 3100 dry.

What you have for tongue weight on that camper.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
What you have for tongue weight on that camper.
Tongue weight is 400. The Jeep squats bad without the distribution hitch but once it’s hooked up you can’t even tell it’s back there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Tongue weight is 400. The Jeep squats bad without the distribution hitch but once it’s hooked up you can’t even tell it’s back there.
Good to know, I've been stressing a little about 300lb tongue weight on mine.

Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Good to know, I've been stressing a little about 300lb tongue weight on mine.
I believe they are rated at 350 (at least my JLUR is) but even at that once that WDH is cranked down I bet you’re good WELL above that.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Got some details on those tow mirrors you’re using? Would also appreciate a link to the WD hitch that you mentioned as well. Thanks for sharing!

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Let's try not to forget that in addition to the maximum weight and tongue weight, there is a maximum frontal cross-section for trailers. I believe the JL maximum cross sections as per the owners manual is 32 square feet. That's a trailer about 5'x6'. As I have noticed on many trailer forums, the vast majority of owners, both Jeep and otherwise, completely ignore this one or are unaware of it. I tow a teardrop trailer and try to keep within not only the weight and tongue weight guidelines but also the max cross-section guidelines within the owners manual for my JLUR. My 2.0 turbo etorque does a better job of towing my trailer than my 2017 JKUS in every category. It's just a better mule all round. My trailer is highly modified and weighs in at 1680 lbs loaded as per CAT scale.
Your results may vary......

Almost forgot:
My JLUR is running the stock KO2's on a RC 2 1/2" spacer lift with stock shocks. My castor numbers are at 5.0/5.1 with Rubicon Express fixed lower control arms. Drives and tows fine. I'm considering changing out my stock shocks for some Rancho RS5000's or similar. The stockers are okay but ride like axe handles when it's cold out.

JeepTrlr01.jpg

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Let's try not to forget that in addition to the maximum weight and tongue weight, there is a maximum frontal cross-section for trailers. I believe the JL maximum cross sections as per the owners manual is 32 square feet. That's a trailer about 5'x6'. As I have noticed on many trailer forums, the vast majority of owners, both Jeep and otherwise, completely ignore this one or are unaware of it. I tow a teardrop trailer and try to keep within not only the weight and tongue weight guidelines but also the max cross-section guidelines within the owners manual for my JLUR. My 2.0 turbo etorque does a better job of towing my trailer than my 2017 JKUS in every category. It's just a better mule all round.
Your results may vary......

JeepTrlr01.jpg
In english please

....just when I thought I was all set.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I believe they are rated at 350 (at least my JLUR is) but even at that once that WDH is cranked down I bet you’re good WELL above that.
The reason that the hitch is rated at 350 lbs is because of its design. In order to go above that weight, especially with WDH the receiver should be strengthened. (The WDH puts a lot of fore/aft torque on the receiver which can bend it.) My hitch is now equivalent to a Class IV.

I removed the stock muffler and put in a Magnaflow axle back pipe and Magnaflow 40 muffler (behind the resonator) so that I the strengthening steel was easier to install than on my JK where the square tubing had to be bent to go around the muffler.

JL Hitch 1.jpg

JL Hitch 2.jpg

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The reason that the hitch is rated at 350 lbs is because of its design. In order to go above that weight, especially with WDH the receiver should be strengthened. (The WDH puts a lot of fore/aft torque on the receiver which can bend it.) My hitch is now equivalent to a Class IV.

I removed the stock muffler and put in a Magnaflow axle back pipe and Magnaflow 40 muffler (behind the resonator) so that I the strengthening steel was easier to install than on my JK where the square tubing had to be bent to go around the muffler.

JL Hitch 1.jpg

JL Hitch 2.jpg
Nice job and well done. Most folks don't realize that when they add a WDH they are mostly just torquing the rear crossmember into a pretzel without adding much in the way of weight transfer.
Well played.
How do you like the Magnaflow muffler delete? 2.0 or 3.6? Is it excessively (relative term there) loud?

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
In english please

....just when I thought I was all set.
Frontal cross section is the width of your trailer times it's height. A 7' wide trailer that is 8' tall has a cross section of 56 square feet or almost double the maximum for a JLUR.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Got some details on those tow mirrors you’re using? Would also appreciate a link to the WD hitch that you mentioned as well. Thanks for sharing!
The mirrors are Milenco Grand Aero. They’re fantastic. I tried several different less expensive models and none of them really worked like they were supposed to. These go on easily and once they’re clamped on they stay put perfectly. I love them and they are well worth the expense.

The WDH is a EAZ lift. Cheap and you have to disconnect it before backing, but it does the job and the added sway control is good piece of mind.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Nice job and well done. Most folks don't realize that when they add a WDH they are mostly just torquing the rear crossmember into a pretzel without adding much in the way of weight transfer.
Well played.
How do you like the Magnaflow muffler delete? 2.0 or 3.6? Is it excessively (relative term there) loud?
On my 3.6 with just the axle back it was too loud, but with the addition of the Flowmaster Series 40 Muffler 952549 tucked up by the frame behind the resonator it is very pleasant sound. Lots of compliments.

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Frontal cross section is the width of your trailer times it's height. A 7' wide trailer that is 8' tall has a cross section of 56 square feet or almost double the maximum for a JLUR.
So...the weight limit no matter?

Can you screenshot where it says that in manual?

Not sure I understand why that would matter if the weight is well below max?
Sponsored