Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL!

Kentonator

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Freedom Edition
JL Changes
  • The spare tire appears to have been lowered for improved rear visibility.
  • The trunk handle is now inline with the rear lights.
  • The rear bumper has a more interesting, aerodynamic design.
  • The rear window appears to be larger.
  • The fenders clearly have a higher rise than the JK's.
  • The roof appears to have a bit of a 'lip'
  • The backup camera peaks its head out from the center of the tire.

JL

pxQj8qx.jpg

JK

iiv5SD2.jpg
And the windshield wiper is at the bottom behind the tire. So I guess the fluid will shoot up?
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Here's what I find curious about this picture, and want to know. FCA exposed this hinge, and not the one on the driver's side. I doubt this was accidental--in fact I doubt little revealed is accidental.

Contrast these hinges with stock JK:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/Jeep_Wrangler_Unlimited_2.8_CRD_(JK)_rear_20100801.jpg

There appears to be space between this passenger's side top of the hinge and the roof.

Could this be space for a double hinging mechanism that allows the back window to extent to a position such that its outside glass rests on top of the hardtop?

I had heard there was talk of this.
With evidence of the roof lip, it seems having the rear glass fold onto the roof is less likely. I'm not an engineer but that hinge would have to pull out rather far in order to allow the rear glass to fold onto the roof. It just doesn't look designed to do so from this pic, but I'm usually wrong.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Rubicon-JLWRANGLERFORUMS-11.jpg

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I'm sold on the redesign. It's going to be a bit tricky replacing the rear bumper through, with the lower spare tire and license plate/light mounted in the bumper. The front bumper looks easily replaceable. Tube fender flares are going to have to integrate turn signals though.

Overall it's a modern evolution and still looks enough like a Wrangler to keep most people happy. It's a miracle that there is still a vehicle with a removable top, doors and a folding windshield with all the crazy safety regulations. If the turbo-4 and diesel push highway mileage in the high twenties then that is icing on the cake!

kboonekj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Rubicon
My dad took these today up at Silver Lake. Looks like they’re taking the mule into the dunes this weekend!

3DD60AD2-912B-440F-8697-E73BC81DCA9A.jpeg

5822210D-B148-429A-9068-DC8618B6B7DD.jpeg

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I believe there is enough spy shots/leaks to make a 95-99% accurate JL rendering. Any takers? (We have these spy shots, the body in white images, and the leak from inside the plant)

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
With evidence of the roof lip, it seems having the rear glass fold onto the roof is less likely. I'm not an engineer but that hinge would have to pull out rather far in order to allow the rear glass to fold onto the roof. It just doesn't look designed to do so from this pic, but I'm usually wrong.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Rubicon-JLWRANGLERFORUMS-11.jpg
Those are well made arguments Jeepsterfreak....thanks for your input--I tend to agree now.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-rubicon-jlwranglerforums-15-jpg.jpg

Looks like it has the Jeep "lean" already.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
with the wider track will that make a difference in the Axel strength. Being longer as well?

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Getting pretty spoiled here, two days in a row we get new pics with just the camo, and then no new pics today has me feeling like I just got kicked in the groin. My life feels very empty right now!!!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
And the windshield wiper is at the bottom behind the tire. So I guess the fluid will shoot up?
No, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the nozzle is at the top, it will shoot down so as to be more effective.

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
The Red and Black mules have something interesting going on and I think they are mix match of parts. For example the Black mule seems like it would be a higher end Rubicon model due to the high line fenders, added lift, and painted fenders, however the Red Mule has a large bulge in the hood which looks more like the current AEV hood where the Black one has a hood like the JT CAD rendering.
If you see these rims, this is the highest class in Rubicon and I expect their fenders will be quite different.

"just guessing"

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL! {filename}

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
with the wider track will that make a difference in the Axel strength. Being longer as well?
The new Dana axle definitely looks more robust than even the Recon's U-D44, so I'm confident that if it is an inch or so longer (and not just spacers) it'll still be stronger overall,than the one it's replacing.

As for the difference in Axel strength, I think Young Axl would kick Old Axl's a$$ !

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL! {filename}

But he still slays top tier...

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ Rubi, 2012 JK Rubi, 2023 JLU Rubi
Boom!

Looks like the rear window section is NOT part of the 3pc hard top Its got a cut line right behind where the rear window ends.
They've GOT to have removable rear glass. The Jeep would look weird with the doors removed and the rear glass still in.

I think this supports the idea of a modular top. The rear glass and tail gate glass come off independent of the roof.

This would be AWESOME! I could drive to Moab with my hard top on, then remove the pieces (by myself) when I got there. Hell, I could put the pieces on a bell hop cart and store them in my room.

Also, wouldn't it be cool to take the sides and rear of but keep the roof on? A hard bikini!

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
Heat treat procedures and spline count would be greater factors in determining axel strength, neither of which we'll know until specs are released.