Sponsored

Best city in FL to retire in and why?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
It would be nice to have a fishing boat and enclosed pool. I saw some really appealing homes with enclosed pools on canals that go out to the gulf in the Sarasota, Venice areas. Any idea if those areas are high risk for flood, storms, hurricanes? I was thinking? How bad can the storms in that area be if those pools are enclosed with glass? I really am a newbie as far as FL. lol
Many pools are enclosed, but waterfront property can get expensive quickly. You might find something in the $500-$600K range depending on location though. However, if you are waterfront, its pretty much guaranteed you'll be in a flood zone, so more insurance. But, I'm not a broker so its worth investigating as I have no idea how much more insurance it would be. And if you like golf, or just driving a golf cart everywhere - check out the villages ;)
Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I vote for Florida west coast... we have so many trails, beaches, places to eat etc. In fact selling my condo https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...ort-Myers-FL-33907/68103898_zpid/?view=public as moving to western NC as the family, grand kids plus another in the oven are in the area... Please don't judge me for leaving FL.... Grandma at this phase of life. I will still have a mailbox as it is my state of residents.... Plus a lot of trails in the mountains here....

Edit:
East coast to much crime, people, just costly to live and getting your Jeep stolen. West coast is where all the good folks from the east coast come to. The west coast is made of of more midwestern.

Last edited:
OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Many pools are enclosed, but waterfront property can get expensive quickly. You might find something in the $500-$600K range depending on location though. However, if you are waterfront, its pretty much guaranteed you'll be in a flood zone, so more insurance. But, I'm not a broker so its worth investigating as I have no idea how much more insurance it would be. And if you like golf, or just driving a golf cart everywhere - check out the villages ;)
I think the idea is to rent for weeks at a time in different areas to get a feel for what I like. This probably means renting during Aug and during storm season just to get a feel for the worst.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So Ive lived in Florida all my life. I would suggest the west coast (Gulf) and there are tons of great towns to choose from. I am a St. Pete kind of guy though. Tampa is a great city, tons to do. The Gulf is the best water and beaches in Florida. You couldnt pay me to go into Daytona or the like.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I vote for Florida west coast... we have so many trails, beaches, places to eat etc. In fact selling my condo https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...ort-Myers-FL-33907/68103898_zpid/?view=public as moving to western NC as the family, grand kids plus another in the oven are in the area... Please don't judge me for leaving FL.... Grandma at this phase of life. I will still have a mailbox as it is my state of residents.... Plus a lot of trails in the mountains here....

Edit:
East coast to much crime, people, just costly to live and getting your Jeep stolen. West coast is where all the good folks from the east coast come to. The west coast is made of of more midwestern.
Nice condo. Thanks for the info about the East coast. You bring up a very important point, CRIME.

I need to research crime for FL. Anything has to be better then what we are experiencing in Chicago. Seeing all the daily crime reports on the news here in Chicago desensitizes you after a while. In 2019 2754 people were shot in Chicago. That is actually a 7% decline from 2018.

The stats for non-violent crime like theft and robberies is off the charts. Even then the stats are skewed because half of the victims don't bother reporting. Why? Because police do not handle reports for theft anymore. You are supposed to call it in. Well good luck because that's considered a non emergency. Average response time for police is over 15 minutes for some 911 calls. The criminals know that so they feel like they have card blanche to maraud. And they do. Maraud is the perfect word to describe it.

It is not uncommon for large groups of teens to take public transportation into the popular tourist destinations and shopping districts and pillage. I describe it with barbaric terms because that's what it is. I guess modern lingo is "flash mobs". It's really unbelievable that police get so over run and how often it happens. It's very real though.

https://cwbchicago.com/2019/04/mob-nificent-21-arrested-after-large.html
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...ago-downtown-teens-arrest-20190417-story.html
https://cwbchicago.com/2018/12/mob-nificent-mile-large-group-brings.html

This happened a block from Obama's Chicago home.
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/1...e-several-vehicles-in-hyde-park-on-halloween/

Another increasingly common crime. The same pack of thieves will over run a luxury store and just grab items and run out the doors. Groups of like 20 thieves walk into luxury goods stores in the heart of the Magnificent Mile, Chicago's premiere shopping district, and just grab things and run for the door. These stores have security guards and they still don't care.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...0200120-5ikzo6hnsbdv7n4236rszwyvyi-story.html

One last rant about Chicago crime. This particular crime show just how blatant and disrespectful these criminals are. A pack of teens beat a US Army Soldier because he was in the way when they trying to make a get away. The soldier was holding the door open for public transportation riders on a train.

https://cwbchicago.com/2018/11/mob-mile-strikes-again-swarm-of-teens.html

Last edited:
OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So Ive lived in Florida all my life. I would suggest the west coast (Gulf) and there are tons of great towns to choose from. I am a St. Pete kind of guy though. Tampa is a great city, tons to do. The Gulf is the best water and beaches in Florida. You couldnt pay me to go into Daytona or the like.
Daytona was not on the radar. Too much Spring Break activity. A lot of suggestions for the Gulf side. I will definitely visit St. Pete and Tampa.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Daytona was not on the radar. Too much Spring Break activity. A lot of suggestions for the Gulf side. I will definitely visit St. Pete and Tampa.
There are a lot of beautiful small towns around St Pete. Also, best fishing in the world for some sport fish on that side. It's just a great vibe in general. I can retire in 6-11 yrs (depending on benefits I want). I will be over there for sure.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Dunedin is a really great town - several breweries, home to the original PGA golf course, great dining, close to the water, etc. I highly recommend it. Oh, and I'll be selling my house there in the next year or so if anyone;s interested lol! 3 car garage, the JLUR fits, fireplace, enclosed pool, etc :D

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Daytona cracked down on spring break. I wouldn't let 1990 MTV persuade your opinion on them. That being said Panama City Beach has grown in the spring break area.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Nice condo. Thanks for the info about the East coast. You bring up a very important point, CRIME.
I'm an ex Law Enforcement from NJ... At the Pickle Ball court I know a ton of Chicago immigrants. Joking, great folks and wanted a safer lifestyle.

Attached is the listing my realtor for life submitted. Check it out reduced the price to sell. Call Carolyn ‭(239) 872-0468‬ to see condo and tell her we talked and we will work on the 5% to 3% since I have listed it.

Attachments

AgentRice

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Fire Fighter Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
florida is currently full and no longer taking new applicants.. our apologies..... lol

come visit and see what you like the most! Im in Sarasota and a lot of northerners love this area

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an ex Law Enforcement from NJ... At the Pickle Ball court I know a ton of Chicago immigrants. Joking, great folks and wanted a safer lifestyle.

Attached is the listing my realtor for life submitted. Check it out reduced the price to sell. Call Carolyn ‭(239) 872-0468‬ to see condo and tell her we talked and we will work on the 5% to 3% since I have listed it.
Edit:
Here some photos to look at... https://matrix.swflamls.com/Matrix/...=0&L=1&tid=9&key=41352323&mtid=1&pbs=1&View=G Yes comes fully furnished....

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i would like to check out tampa saint pete and walton lake (i think) i've heard thats a nice place to live.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i would like to check out tampa saint pete and walton lake (i think) i've heard thats a nice place to live.
I have friends in Tampa. A lot of votes for St. Pete. Next trip is going to be to the St. Pete area for sure.
Sponsored