Strange Steering Failure of my Jeep Today

Guy Jepsy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Rubicon JLU
About 1 hrs ago. I was driving normally at about 35mph. Went around a slight curve and for about the 4 seconds the power steering seem to drop out/go dead. Forced me to hit the breaks or run off the road because the road was curving and the vehicle was locked in a straight line and I was going a bit to fast to make the adjustment with manual steering. Seconds later it came back and all seemed normal. Scared the hell out of me though. 10K on the Jeep thus far. Anyone else have this issue?

SEE TSB#08-092-18 for info
Sponsored

Johns19Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hey all... Just got into a 2019 Rubicon, the 4th Jeep in my Quiver over the last 12 years or so and this one is BY FAR the best Jeep Wrangler I've owned in any trim. With that said, I can say I have experienced a couple of weird things. The first was the ACC slammed on the brakes at slow speed in traffic when I was headed over the George Washington Bridge a couple of weekends ago. Scared the bejesus out of me. Glad I was going slow and no one behind me. The only other thing is the steering does seem to wander slightly more than my 2015 Rubicon did. The tires are larger, so I would expect this. It's not horrible but noticeable. I'm planning on adding a new stabilizer soon. But reading the post I went to the fuse box and I did notice that just about all of the relays needed to be seated deeper into the sockets. They all made a noticeable "click" once I pressed down on them. The fuses looked fine. Not sure if this averted a future issue but it can't hurt to seat the relays firmly. Just my $0.02. Thanks all.

Cat1007

First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hey all... Just got into a 2019 Rubicon, the 4th Jeep in my Quiver over the last 12 years or so and this one is BY FAR the best Jeep Wrangler I've owned in any trim. With that said, I can say I have experienced a couple of weird things. The first was the ACC slammed on the brakes at slow speed in traffic when I was headed over the George Washington Bridge a couple of weekends ago. Scared the bejesus out of me. Glad I was going slow and no one behind me. The only other thing is the steering does seem to wander slightly more than my 2015 Rubicon did. The tires are larger, so I would expect this. It's not horrible but noticeable. I'm planning on adding a new stabilizer soon. But reading the post I went to the fuse box and I did notice that just about all of the relays needed to be seated deeper into the sockets. They all made a noticeable "click" once I pressed down on them. The fuses looked fine. Not sure if this averted a future issue but it can't hurt to seat the relays firmly. Just my $0.02. Thanks all.
Thanks for this info!

Easyrhino2099

First Name
Rolandus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
We just picked up an '18 JLU and this same issue caused my wife to run off the right side of the road twice this morning. Sub 30 degrees out our way, so pretty chilly . Couldn't turn the wheel left in a mild curve. Luckily nothing got hit. Pretty sure it's the same problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
We just picked up an '18 JLU and this same issue caused my wife to run off the right side of the road twice this morning. 30 degrees out near out house. Couldn't turn the wheel left in a mild curve. Luckily nothing got hit. Pretty sure it's the same problem.
Get @JeepCares involved to help with the dealer and document everything. Good luck and Iā€™m glad your wife is ok.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
We sincerely regret to hear about the troubles you've experienced with your JL's. Please feel free to reach out to us via PM if additional assistance is needed throughout your service visits.
Alex
JeepCares
Troubles? Luckily, no one was killed.

Easyrhino2099

First Name
Rolandus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Get @JeepCares involved to help with the dealer and document everything. Good luck and Iā€™m glad your wife is ok.
Thanks. Not familiar with Jeepcare but I'll look into it. I glitch in my windshield washer or uconnect is one thing, but power steering going in and out at speed is downright dangerous.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thanks. Not familiar with Jeepcare but I'll look into it. I glitch in my windshield washer or uconnect is one thing, but power steering going in and out at speed is downright dangerous.
@JeepCares is the FCA customer service and they will help you with the dealer if needed. They should reach out to you here on the forum.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had to have the tsb update done twice before it finally was corrected. I think the first dealer never actually did the update. so far so good

Sponsored

JLo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2022 JTD
Getting my first Jeep and this is not to bash Jeep but holy moly is that scary ass hell.
What year is your Wrangler?
I have a 2018 Sahara with about 30k miles that I bought used at 13k miles. It was really scary, i brought it straight to the closest dealership when I experienced the issue the first time. After telling the first dealership that tightening the ground bolt didnā€™t do anything, they kept it for the weekend and said nothing was wrong with it. So i brought it to my dealership, and one tech said it drove fine compared to his daughters 2010 Wrangler - I didnā€™t buy a JK, I bought a JL! Itā€™s hard to find a dealership that will really believe the issue youā€™re experiencing and try to fix it. There is still no recall for it as far as I know.
But other than the issue, I LOVE my Wrangler! The V6 engine is powerful and it drives smooth (in the front seats at least lol).

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I have a 2018 Sahara with about 30k miles that I bought used at 13k miles. It was really scary, i brought it straight to the closest dealership when I experienced the issue the first time. After telling the first dealership that tightening the ground bolt didnā€™t do anything, they kept it for the weekend and said nothing was wrong with it. So i brought it to my dealership, and one tech said it drove fine compared to his daughters 2010 Wrangler - I didnā€™t buy a JK, I bought a JL! Itā€™s hard to find a dealership that will really believe the issue youā€™re experiencing and try to fix it. There is still no recall for it as far as I know.
But other than the issue, I LOVE my Wrangler! The V6 engine is powerful and it drives smooth (in the front seats at least lol).
Mine is an 18 as well. Dealer applied TSB 08-092-18 and Iā€™ve had no more issues.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Finally got it into the dealer,
1. They said my JLU doesn't have a recall on it (does this sound right). I bought it in August of 2019, had it built specifically so not sitting on a lot somewhere.

2. They did the ground wire check/tighten.

3. They supposedly did the software update.

The steering does seem a bit tighter to me an less wobbly over bumps, or could just be the placebo effect I dunno.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@RagTopDeluxe - Thank you for tagging us.

You can message us by clicking on our name and selecting "Send a private message."

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored