Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Looking at the options:
For $1500 - would it just better to pick up OEM Mopar 8.4" (seen them less than $900) with full integration or even wait for the Metra 107-CH3B Wrangler JLU dash kit (which support 7" aftermarket head unit) - which will be significantly cheaper.
Am i missing something?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Looking at the options:
For $1500 - would it just better to pick up OEM Mopar 8.4" (seen them less than $900) with full integration or even wait for the Metra 107-CH3B Wrangler JLU dash kit (which support 7" aftermarket head unit) - which will be significantly cheaper.
Am i missing something?
It's a question of what you're looking for.

OEM: From what I've read on this forum, FCA does not support upgraded OEM headunits. If you have any issues, it's your problem. If you're missing Offroad Pages, it's your problem. You pay a fair amount and get 100% liability. Also, CarPlay/Android Audio is wired only. Some people are really happy with their upgraded OEM headunit.

Alpine -- $3000, is still wired CarPlay/Android Auto, and I believe I read only 1 USB port works for data connections.

Chinese Android HUs (phoenix, seicane, etc) require extra converters/modules/dongles but are cheaper than Insane Audio; it should be noted that the top-end Chinese ones can have similar specs to IA's unit: Octa-core, 4GB ram, 64GB storage; some have had luck with converters to get their backup camera working, but you can always run a new one for not a whole lot. Or even install a bird's eye view/360 camera system for a couple hundred. IA has an IP water resistance rating; the others don't (or don't advertise it).

Linkswell arguably has better fit and finish, but it's half the ram, a quarter the internal storage, a smaller screen, is Android 8 (where the others are 9), and does not have a water resistance rating. I don't know if this requires many other dongles; the low ram is enough for me to rule it out.

Other aftermarket headunits with a dash kit like metra's: Probably is not android, probably has the same compatibility issues as most of the other headunits (backup camera, missing some factory features/aux switches/some car settings, etc). This really depends on which you decide on.

Personally, I am interested in a full Android headunit. I'm a programmer/owner of a software company, and suddenly many things become a business expense for my car if I write an app to integrate it with the intention of selling said app. Also, I'd rather have Google Maps/Waze than any nav system I've ever used in any car. That limits the options, and IA is the most plug and play that I have found for an Android HU. Plus, they're a US company/US owned company as far as I know (though the majority of the hardware almost certainly is made in China).

winkopp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
It's a question of what you're looking for.

OEM: From what I've read on this forum, FCA does not support upgraded OEM headunits. If you have any issues, it's your problem. If you're missing Offroad Pages, it's your problem. You pay a fair amount and get 100% liability. Also, CarPlay/Android Audio is wired only. Some people are really happy with their upgraded OEM headunit.

Alpine -- $3000, is still wired CarPlay/Android Auto, and I believe I read only 1 USB port works for data connections.

Chinese Android HUs (phoenix, seicane, etc) require extra converters/modules/dongles but are cheaper than Insane Audio; it should be noted that the top-end Chinese ones can have similar specs to IA's unit: Octa-core, 4GB ram, 64GB storage; some have had luck with converters to get their backup camera working, but you can always run a new one for not a whole lot. Or even install a bird's eye view/360 camera system for a couple hundred. IA has an IP water resistance rating; the others don't (or don't advertise it).

Linkswell arguably has better fit and finish, but it's half the ram, a quarter the internal storage, a smaller screen, is Android 8 (where the others are 9), and does not have a water resistance rating. I don't know if this requires many other dongles; the low ram is enough for me to rule it out.

Other aftermarket headunits with a dash kit like metra's: Probably is not android, probably has the same compatibility issues as most of the other headunits (backup camera, missing some factory features/aux switches/some car settings, etc). This really depends on which you decide on.

Personally, I am interested in a full Android headunit. I'm a programmer/owner of a software company, and suddenly many things become a business expense for my car if I write an app to integrate it with the intention of selling said app. Also, I'd rather have Google Maps/Waze than any nav system I've ever used in any car. That limits the options, and IA is the most plug and play that I have found for an Android HU. Plus, they're a US company/US owned company as far as I know (though the majority of the hardware almost certainly is made in China).
I enjoyed your overview and hope you post a review when completed. Also look forward to your ideas on software solutions. I am leaning towards the Chinese HUs for many of the same reasons as you. I like the Android options.

delynn10

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2016 Audi Q3
Had 2 initial issues. Had some speaker noise and wired the backup camera incorrectly. Reinstalled everything late last night and it seems to be working fine. There are video instructions on Insane's website now which are very easy to follow.

I would pretty much echo everything user Big Red said.

So far, the customer service has been great.

I'll post additional information next weekend after really using it for a week.

Sponsored

JLUinMI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Had 2 initial issues. Had some speaker noise and wired the backup camera incorrectly. Reinstalled everything late last night and it seems to be working fine. There are video instructions on Insane's website now which are very easy to follow.

I would pretty much echo everything user Big Red said.

So far, the customer service has been great.

I'll post additional information next weekend after really using it for a week.
Glad you got your issues worked out. I just watched the videos on the insane audio site to double check my install. This unit has way more features than I’ll ever use! I basically wanted a unit that was plug and play, had a large screen for the OEM back up camera, good Navigation system, and Apple Car play. The JL3001 checked all the boxes for my needs.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have several questions feel free to answer them any and all
How is the off-road navigation system. The 3 d one?
What works now and what doesn’t.?
Do any of you have a tazer and is there any issues with using both?
How does Bluetooth work? Do theaux switches still work. I have lights hooked up
Does the backup camera still work?
Is it worth 1500 if you already have the 8.3.?
Thanks

delynn10

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2016 Audi Q3
I have several questions feel free to answer them any and all
How is the off-road navigation system. The 3 d one?
What works now and what doesn’t.?
Do any of you have a tazer and is there any issues with using both?
How does Bluetooth work? Do theaux switches still work. I have lights hooked up
Does the backup camera still work?
Is it worth 1500 if you already have the 8.3.?
Thanks
Haven't had it long enough to evaluate navigation, but looks like it will be pretty darn good.
No tazer.
Don't have aux switches, so not sure.
Backup camera works fine.
Long story short, I ended up buying off the lot after ordering a gladiator with the 8.4" and ended up with the stock 5". I don't think I personally would have upgraded the 8.4" unless I got extremely frustrated with it.
Its still early, but I think it was worth the $1400 for me, especially the amount of driving I do.

DoubleOaked

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Just installed my unit today, replacing the 5" uConnect on my Sport. Installation itself is relatively straight forward/plug and play. Quality of the screen is really nice, with a crip display. That said, still working through various issues. Carplay is not working for me (wireless or wired). After several back-and-forth emails with IA support, I was informed that there is a software issue with wireless Carplay that they hope to resolve with an update. I popped my trim again, and ensure all connections were correct, but still no luck on wired Carplay either (my phone gets a charge from the OEM USB ports, but Carplay not working). I also noted that my LED backlights do not power on when I turn on my headlights, and my outside temperature gauge is now reading about double what it should. Support thus far, though via email only, has been good, with responses from IA relatively prompt. It looks like the next step is a scheduled phone call with an IA engineer. Will update.

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
How do the volume controls work? Can you only operate it from the steering controls?

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Just ordered mine I hope I like it since I’m an Apple guy and this runs off android. Anybody find a screen protector yet for it

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone added a small sub-woofer under the seat with this unit?

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Do they happen to offer forum discounts? I'm debating if i want to go this route and then speakers or speakers first then head unit.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Do they happen to offer forum discounts? I'm debating if i want to go this route and then speakers or speakers first then head unit.
They are not on the forum and there are no discounts offered except for what you see as a sale on the unit as of now
Sponsored